• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philly Cooking Classes

shinyboots

I live on the Main Line (Lower Merion) and am looking to enroll in some cooking classes/courses. I know there is a Viking Culinary Institute nearby, but I would like some more options. I dont know if Phila. University of the Arts - Culinary - has any classes unless you are a fulltime student. I am really just looking for one time classes, can you help?

Right in your neck of the woods is Charlotte-Ann Albertson's Cooking School. There a schedule of classes on the site.

The Restaurant School offers non-credit community classes as well.

There are also classes offered by JCCabot Catering

On Sept 16, 2004, the Food section of the Philadelphia Inquirer will be publishing a full list of cooking classes for the fall semester.

Hope that helps.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Derek and I attended a class right around the corner from you, shinyboots, at Savona. It was taught by Dominique Filoni, who was just as friendly and non-pretentious as you could possibly want. The degree of hands-on depends a bit on the class size, since the cooking is done in the kitchen, which isn't very big. But you'll definitely learn a lot, and best of all, the meal that's the focus of the class is served to you and your classmates in the beautiful wine cellar downstairs. I didn't see any classes scheduled on their calendar, so you might want to give them a call to find out what they have coming up.

We've also caught one of the free demonstrations that the Viking center has from time to time, but I've never gotten around to attending one of the actual paid classes. I imagine they'd be pretty fun, though.

I just finished 2 "community" sessions at the restaurant school (intro to culinary arts and intermediate culinary arts) and thought it was fantastic. Each session was 6 weeks (mondays nights 7-9:30) and wasn't that basic at all (even the intro course), they also have individual classes. (I'll probably take the advanced cullinary arts but not till it gets a bit cooler ;0)

The chef instructor i had was lucia davis, she is/was a food stylist for the food network and a nutritionist. She was very sweet and very informative (and i'm still e-mailing her questions about some of the things we did). She teaches all the "culinary arts" classes as well as the healthy eating courses (and i think a few of the solo classes).

here's the link, have fun!

http://www.therestaurantschool.com/

(click on community education)

http://readingterminalmarket.org/classes.php

The demonstration kitchen at Foster's Gourmet Cookware in the Reading Terminal Market hosts classes in cooperation with Temple U. The link above has more information, but their upcoming schedule looks good:

The Best of the Bistro

Taught by Olivier de Saint Martin

Chef/Owner, Caribou Café

Chef Olivier has returned from his native France and brought back inspired flavors from Parisian Bistros. He will select a diverse menu from what is freshest and available as well as his own inspiration. Join us as we celebrate the wonderful food of Caribou Café.

Tuesday, 5:45 PM to 7:45

September 28

Fee: $50 includes materials fee

French Extravaganza

Taught by David Ansel

Chef/Owner of Pif

Coming off his presentation of George Perrier’s recipes at this year’s Book and Cook, chef David Ansel is at the top of his cooking game. Join him as he presents exquisite French foods using classic techniques. He will feature dishes cooked in red wine.

Tuesday, 5:45 PM to 7:45

October 5

Fall Desserts

Taught by Robert Bennett

Executive Pastry Chef and Owner of Miel Patisserie,

Center City and Cherry Hill, NJ

Chef Robert, former pastry chef of Le Bec Fin and current chef/owner of Miel Patisserie will conduct a class in autumn desserts that will delight the palate like no others. This could feature any of his creations from cakes to cookies and pies to pastries. Join us for a master class by the Master of Sweets. Desserts will be made and enjoyed.

Thursday, 5:45 PM to 7:45

October 7

I noticed this item in this morning's food section of the Inky.
On Sept. 16, the Food section will publish a list of cooking classes offered in the Philadelphia area this fall.

Was there something about my post that wasn't clear enough?? :raz:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Oops...

Now, retroactively, yes, your post was crystal clear. And, ya know, I reviewed the thread before posting, too :wacko:. I obviously cannot claim the same clarity for either my eyesight or my attention span. Haste doth make waste.