• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trendy restaurants-Vancouver

montmartre

Coming in to town for labor day weekend and looking for happening/trendy restaurants.

What are the latest restos to have joined the fashionistas of the Canadian West Coast?

Is Yaletown still the only place to hang out or are there up and coming neighborhoods?

Nice promo Neil.

It depends on what you want, for me Vancouver is about atmosphere and nature, so many places in Yale town are of a dark nature, Neil I am not including your place in those dark aspects of Yale Town. Trying to bring in that Toronto dark and big tones, things have lightened up a bit. I moved to the west Coast for nature and weather, warm tones, the water and views of the water are what make Van. The Mountain views in Van are amazing it also is what brought me to the coast, snow- skiing.

So for me I like west coast themes, nautical, wood, brighter colors and mixed textures, more space!

I would hike the whole Point Grey corridor from Granville Island up to UBC, either along the beach or down 4th and back on 10th then Broadway, you have a little of everything, but the main spot on the beach venture is the stop at Jericho sailing club and going for a beer and a burger, the view is to die for.

You have Provence, Baru, Montris, La Notte, fiction, the Ivy, Topanga Cafe, Living Room, Nyala, Quatros on Fourth, Fatzos, Nats pizza, Gramercey, Vineyard, Tangerine, Wild Garlic, Bishops, Pastis, Sophies Cosmic cafe, Joes Grill, Hells kitchen, Las Margaritas, Roti grill, Lumiere, Ouzeri’s Ordinary Cafe, Sandbar, Smoking Dog, Bridges, Bin, Cru, Velvet Cafe, Café Barney, Quisi Bistro, Primos Mexican, West

West Side is the best side

steve

Edited by stovetop (log)
Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Wow, I live in Vancouver and I didn't know Yaletown was THE only place to hang out. I agree with nwyles, "You can't go wrong in any area..." Recently I have enjoyed dining at Coast, Hapa, Vij's, Indie Grill on West 4th, Provence, Parkside, The Reef on Main St. for breakfast/brunch, and an all time favourite for Japanese, Octopus Garden on Cornwall. It really is hard to decide when we have so many great places to eat.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Thank you guys, but i dont seem to detect a clear cut winner of the restaurant to be at . I travel frequently and god knows im always ending up in the newst hip place.

New York - One Little West or Spice Market

Miami- Azul , Casa Tua, Nobu

Paris - Baccarat, Hotel Costes

London - Hakkasan, Spoon+

Montreal - Buonanotte, Globe

Now what about Vancouver?

Thank you guys, but i dont seem to detect a clear cut winner of the restaurant to be at . I travel frequently and god knows im always ending up in the newst hip place.

Well perhaps that's because Vancouver doesn't have just ONE hip place.

There is perhaps a Top 5 or Top 10, but they're spread out over the city ... but I'd have to give Yaletown the nod right now as the ONE area. But montmarte, if you're looking for trendiness to help make up your mind, I think you're on your own.

Anyone mention Bin 941/942 yet?

DA

Spend your money take your chances; restaurants is a personnel thing, it all depends on you, a restaurant being good has nothing to do with trendy or hot, to be seen, what does that have to do with good food. Why is it people need someone else’s affirmation to what is good, it is something that a person should figure it out on their own.

Westside

1)Lumiere

2)West

3)Bishops

4)Tojo

5)Cru

6)Vij's

7)Bin

8)Quattro"s

9)Provence

10)Montri's

11)Pastis

12)Smoking Dog

13)Fiction

West side has many choices, here is my order, it is a tough pick, and any one of these restaurants is great on any given night. They are all different and that is why I picked the ones I did.

Yaletown/downtown

1)Le Crocodile

2)Le Gavoroche

3)Four Seasons Hotel

4)Pan Pacific ( Ernst Dorfler)

5)Cafe de Paris

6)Raincity Grill

7)Bacchus

8)Picolo Mondo

9)Hamilton Street Grill

10)Bin

11)La Bodega

12)Villa del Lupo

13)Diva at the met

14)Ciopino's

15)The Irish Heather

wow I am running out of room, it is even harder to pick, what makes a good room, just the food or both the room and food, and what about service, there are many ethic restaurants left out, many good chow places left out, so I think there are a few hot places or do you just want to be seen??

Shit I forgot "C" and I am sure I forgot a few more

steve

Edited by stovetop (log)

My experience of Vancouver - all four days of it - was that it's dining scene is not really comprable to London or New York where there is always a hot new place that attracts the trendy young things for a while and then is dropped as soon as somewhere else opens - there simply isn't enough people to support that rate of change.

The posts on this thread reinforces my impression that Vancouver has lots of good places that people are happy to support for long periods of time. Bin 941 may be 6 (?) years old, but it's still incredibly popular. I believe stovetop's remark that "a restaurant being good has nothing to do with trendy or hot" reflects the general attitude in the city to dining out.

South Granville area has Cru, Bin 942, WEST, En, Cafe Salade de Fruite, Maurya, Memphis Blues (over-rated in my opinion),Rangoli, Vij's and the new Tamarind Bistro. As well as incredibly trendy stores like Caban, Restoration Hardware, a women's golf boutique, Pottery Barn, Ming Wo's Motiv, Industrial Revolution, and numerous others.

Also meter parking, The Stanley and a Mercedes Dealer.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Isn't it Ouisi Bistro?

Yes it is :wacko:

Now I know what is so funny??

spelling don't it kill me, I have had a few spelling funnies, shit, what can I say?

steve

Edited by stovetop (log)

Isn't it Ouisi Bistro?

Yes it is :wacko:

Now I know what is so funny??

spelling don't it kill me, I have had a few spelling funnies, shit, what can I say?

steve

That's not that bad...I was looking over one of my student's school projects and noticed that she had labelled the can of coke on the title page "C*CK".

Another fave--another student had to think of 5 words that started with 'C' and must have just looked up C words randomly in the dictionary. One of his C words was a rather indelicate name for the vagina. I couldn't stop laughing. :raz:

Edited by Ling (log)

Stephen,

I also walked by Umami last night around 9:00 and decided against going in because it was empty. Ended up at the new Yakitori place on Denman near Robson called Zakkushi and had great yakitori, etc. Young crowd and noisy but nothing beats that kind of food cooked over real charcoal like they do there. BTW, one skewer starts at $1 with a min. of 2 skewers per order.

As for the slow "Thursdays" at Umami, I overheard that Pair Bistro has snared one of their chefs and so you'll notice a similarity in menu and wines. m