• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corn, oh sweet corn

LJC

Have you tried making corn stock?

Corn stock is a wonderful thing to have. I use it as the base for my corn and potato vichysoisse (recipe in the Union Square Cafe Cookbook). Recently I saw a recipe for a corn risotto which calls for corn stock instead of chicken broth. That also looked very promising.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I'm lucky enough to live in the middle of a farm area (actually on a farm, but not a sweetcorn farm) :wink: There's a couple of great farmstands here (in Cranbury) that actually go out and pick corn in small batches so that the corn you're buying has been picked within the last hour or so. Stults Farm (near the corner of Cranbury Neck Rd. and George Davison Rd.) and Protinick's (on Dey Rd.) are both great (Protinick's is a bit better than Stults this year, but it's usually the other way around).

Corn starts converting sugar to starch as soon as it's picked, so in general, the more recently it's picked, the sweeter it is.

Mrs. Stults told me they are actually having trouble this year because of all the rain. The corn just grew too fast, so it's a little more mature than they usually like it.

We shuck it, sometimes brush it with a little olive oil, and put it right on the grill, turning very often. The kernels get a bit of color this way, and it brings out a whole new level of flavor. However, it's very easy to burn since there's nothing protecting the kernels from the heat. Try it... you'll like it!

Edited by cranrob (log)

Just my .02

If it's small kernel NJ corn just picked that day Ill steam it for 10 minutes, butter it and add a bit of salt and pepper. Boiling it is like boiling ribs. Take of whiff of your boiling water. That flavor should go into your mouth and not down the drain.

If it's that awful stuff imported to NJ from Florida or the hog fodder you get in the midwest then I can see making salsa, throwing it on the grill, adding it to a stew or whatever.

I can't see making salsa out of NJ tomatoes either. All they need is olive oil, salt and pepper...

Just my .02

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Just my .02

If it's small kernel NJ corn just picked that day Ill steam it for 10 minutes, butter it and add a bit of salt and pepper. Boiling it is like boiling ribs. Take of whiff of your boiling water. That flavor should go into your mouth and not down the drain.

Interesting notion. Does steaming for 10 minutes actually result in less flavor loss than boiling for 4 to 5?

I'll have to dig my steamer out of the basement & run a comparison.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

ok, a question for the folks who microwave the corn - I bought 2 ears, left the husks on and want to try the microwave method tonite -

About how long do I nuke them for?

And I am wondering if they are hard to husk once they are hot.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Probably too late to help you tonight, Randi, but when I microwaved my corn last week, I peeled back the husk, removed the silk, and then loosely closed it back up before putting it in to cook. In my fairly strong microwave, I did it for about 2:30. It was VERY hot when I took it out, but I think the husk helped keep it moist. I pulled the husk back and let it cool a little before eating. It was WONDERFUL!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."