• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Waterfront Dining in SF

GoodGrub

My fiancee and I are taking our first trip to SF for our honeymoon. I am looking for a romantic restaurant on the waterfront (preferably with nice views) for the day we are spending down in that area. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I think you might have to compromise here, GoodGrub. If you go for romantic, you won't be getting the best food in the city.

The three things that spring to mind (and I'm sure there are others):

1) Hog Island Oyster Company at the Ferry Plaza Marketplace. It's not "romantic" per se, but the food? Oysters and champagne? And a view across the bay? Yowsah.

2) McCormick and Kuleto's at Ghiradelli Square. This is the compromise: the view is spectacular (Golden Gate Bridge) but the food isn't the best. I've never had a bad meal there, but it's not like it's a destination restaurant. For what it is, it might fit your bill, though. It's really got the best view of any restaurant I can think of in San Francisco.

Thanks, tana. I was afraid I was going to be the one to have to break the bad news. The unfortunate truth is that all the restaurants in San Francisco with great views are decidedly unromantic and/or mediocre.

You might have a better chance at a decent, romantic dinner in Sausalito with a great view of the City. Unfortunately, I rarely make it across the Golden Gate these days and can't really recommend any particular place. Anyone?

I do know that Eric Torralba, former Exec Chef at Domain Chandon, has just opened the unfortunately-named Antidote there in the old Valhalla space, which has a fantastic view. Torralba is a fan of Ferran Adria, and worked at Paul Bocuse with Pierre Gagnaire, so a dinner there might be more "adventurous" than "romantic".

Cheers,

Squeat

How about Greens over at Fort Mason?  It's an excellent vegetarian restaurant with great view of the bay.

Good, thinking, hshiau! While I don't think of Greens as particularly "romantic", it's certainly not "unromantic", and the food and view are both great.

Boulevard might work for you folks.

While I unfortunately have not eaten there,

I have sent out of towners

(on trusted friends recommendations)

and they have really enjoyed it.

Hope you have a great time

wherever you end up.

"Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage."

Woody Allen

I have just received some avdice about Boulevard. Someone told me that it's a "don't miss" restaurant and that he goes there whenever he's in San Francisco. Always nice to have multiple people concur. I appreciate the feedback, and welcome anymore anyone else has about romantic dining in SF.

I have just received some avdice about Boulevard. Someone told me that it's a "don't miss" restaurant and that he goes there whenever he's in San Francisco. Always nice to have multiple people concur. I appreciate the feedback, and welcome anymore anyone else has about romantic dining in SF.

A couple of things: Boulevard has never done all that much for me with either their food or their service. Also, it does not have a water view and is not particularly romantic. If you're looking for just romantic without a view, there are many other restaurants to choose from.

Mostly I'm looking for romantic across the board. We are eating one night at Gary Danko's, and will likely spend one night at Boulevard (my brother, traveler that he is, has advised that Boulevard is not romantic, but swears by it). We are still looking for something very romantic for our other night in SF.

Since you're already hitting Gary Danko, you may or may not want to go to another french place. I've always liked Masas, La Folie, or the Dining Room at the Ritz Carlton. I also like Hawthorne Lane but the Gold Club across the street might dampen the romantic atmosphere.

The Sausalito rec is probably a good one.

Farallon doesn't have a view, but it's a sumptuous and seductive room, and the food is great. I know it would fit the bill for romance. Big time. (Get oysters. Get champagne.) It's the first restaurant where I tried a Gruner Veltliner wine.

I was going to recommend Greens, but the view is really more of the marina, and you'd better love looking at a lot of boats.

You might have a better chance at a decent, romantic dinner in Sausalito with a great view of the City. Unfortunately, I rarely make it across the Golden Gate these days and can't really recommend any particular place. Anyone?

The restaurant in the Casa Madrona Hotel in Sausalito has great views of the bay and city. I have not been there for several years and I believe that the restaurant has gone through several changes during the interim. Now called Poggio Trattoria. Unfortunately, I'm unable to comment one way or the other. Maybe someone else can.

I don't think you'll be disappointed at Boulevard. Nancy Oakes' kitchen has been turning out consistently tasty food there for years, and the building and dining room are beautiful, the staff attentive and professional. I don't think of it as a 'view' restaurant, though I suppose you might be able to see the Bay Bridge from a few of the tables. Not particularly romantic, though.

I was going to recommend Greens, but the view is really more of the marina, and you'd better love looking at a lot of boats.

But it's also a great view of the Golden Gate Bridge, which is of course beautiful.

For romantic, [sigh] I suppose I will mention Quince again, but if it becomes too much more popular I'll never get back in there!! Charming, intimate (read small) dining room, delicious Franco-Italo food in the Waters-Bertolli tradition, and superb service.

Also, I've never been, but I've heard from several sources that Venticello on Nob Hill is quite a romantic spot with at least competent Northern Italian, and I even heard you can get a view of the Bay from the downstairs tables.

Cheers, and a have a great honeymoon!

Squeat

Boulevard is a very romantic and "special occasion" restaurant; Although it is not right on the water; you can ask for seating in the room that has hice views of the bay and of the Bay Bridge. The link below may have some pix; definately has some sample menus.

boulevard

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Although it is not right on the water; you can ask for seating in the room that has hice views of the bay and of the Bay Bridge.

To wit.

There you go. So my memory's a sieve. But I don't remember that view from the dining room. Guess I wasn't paying attention.

I know that everyone does rave about the food but it just hasn't done anything for me. Your mileage may vary.

It looks like I'm in the minority in considering Boulevard as romantic.... :raz:

Guess I had only eyes for one other when I've been there... It's true that it is not a small restaurant--but with the deep colors and separate dining areas it somehow has always felt 'romantic' and cozy to me--and probably aided by eating fois gras and other luxurious dishes there!!

Do consider some of the other great suggestions though if some "view" is not part of the criteria!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Although it is not right on the water; you can ask for seating in the room that has hice views of the bay and of the Bay Bridge.

To wit.

There you go. So my memory's a sieve. But I don't remember that view from the dining room. Guess I wasn't paying attention.

I know that everyone does rave about the food but it just hasn't done anything for me. Your mileage may vary.

How funny is that -- I didn't remember seeing that image from inside the restaurant!!!

To wit.

How funny is that -- I didn't remember seeing that image from inside the restaurant!!!

It's true, I swear!!! :smile:

I took my parents there for dinner and requested seating up front; they were pretty dazzeled (this was on a separate occasion from my romanctic outings there :laugh: )

edited to add: "up front" not being by the front door; rather at the back of the restaurant closest to the bridge... (guess I think of it as "front" b/c it is near the view... doesn't make any sense)

Edited by ludja (log)

I think it's all in the camera angle. The photographer must be standing in the front corner of the restaurant to the left of the door. Certainly most seated diners (especially those in the front part of the dining room) can see neither Bay nor Bridge.

Edit to add: Also, the room itself is so spectacular it's hard to look out the windows!

Edited by Squeat Mungry (log)

Mostly I'm looking for romantic across the board.  We are eating one night at Gary Danko's, and will likely spend one night at Boulevard (my brother, traveler that he is, has advised that Boulevard is not romantic, but swears by it).  We are still looking for something very romantic for our other night in SF.

I agree with your brother. I vote not romantic. I've gone a couple of times over the years, and I don't recall service being great, but I don't recall it being horrible either. The food is good, but compared to other restaurants in the same price range, you might think the arrangement, mise en place, or whatever looks simplistic. This can work (works for me), but for some people i think it just doesn't. But I wouldn't go here for a romantic occasion because the dining room is largish and can be loud.

-- I like Boulevard's room too.

--It's friendly in an American way.

I think Farallon is kind of a weird choice for romance, but who am I to say? I thought this one dim sum restaurant (Kirin on Cambie) in Vancouver was kind of romantic. However, I will say that Farallon sort of looks like an expensive, underwater version of Rainforest Cafe, and to my knowledge there cannot be a view because it's off Union Square.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Farallon doesn't have a view, but it's a sumptuous and seductive room, and the food is great. I know it would fit the bill for romance. Big time. (Get oysters. Get champagne.) It's the first restaurant where I tried a Gruner Veltliner wine.

I'll go along with this one. No views, in fact, no windows at all. But that just adds to the dream-like underwater feel they are trying to achieve.

And the food and service on my visit last year was excellent. I'll keep plugging this place, as it more than held its own on a trip that included stops at French Laundry and Chez Panisse.

Bill Russell

The restaurant in the Casa Madrona Hotel in Sausalito ... now called Poggio Trattoria.

Poggio is a delight. Larry Mindel's the owner, and he brings his 20-plus years of restaurateurship with him. There are views as long as you sit near the windows, but the place is very warm and inviting throughout. I would recommend the pappardelle with ragu and the herb-crusted lamb. Maybe not very original dishes, but well executed.

There's a cluster of up and coming restaurants on the SF waterfront too. Butterfly abandoned its Mission digs and took over a space on the piers wedged between Pier 39 and Teatro Zinzanni; I haven't been to the new place, but the food at the Mission location was always terrif. There's another place next door that gets good marks too (the name escapes me). Further down, in a pinch, there's the aptly named Waterfront, which is a bit stuffy and over expensive for what it is, but you can't beat the views.

Hedonia

Eating, drinking and living the good life in San Francisco