• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you eat your corn on the cob?

I eat corn like my mother does, I hold the cob in my fist vertically and then pluck each kernal off with my thumb or bite each one at a time with my teeth.  I think this is the korean method, as I see a lot of koreans do it this way.  They must do it like this, cause korean corn is awful.  It tastes like a starchy mess and it sticks to your teeth.

I witnessed this for the first time this weekend. 15 people sitting around a table. 14 of them eating corn using random, typewriter, fresh bite each time, or circles methods. And one person, calmly, beautifully plucking each kernel off, one at a time.

gallery_17822_1159_808523.jpg

I do the typewriter thing, my dh eats corn in a manner that ensures as many "first" bites as possible. And he has now, after repeated exposure to egullet, begun to photograph his corn.

gallery_17822_1159_708148.jpg

Robin Tyler McWaters

We nuke them, in the husk, for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes each.  (If it's grocery store corn, then 3 minutes each.  The stuff from the stands is either very, very fresh, or is of a more tender variety.)  Then we open the husks, pull all the silk out in 1 tug, then use butter and salt.  The husks become a handle.

Interesting. I nuke my corn usually as well, but I've always husked first, then wrapped in paper towel. I think I'll have to try this.

Did you ever notice that all ears of corn have an even number of rows?

The average ear has 16 rows and 800 kernals, and there is one piece of silk for each kernal.

SB  :wacko:

How do you know this stuff? :wacko:

Typewriter method for me as well. No, corn stabbers, but hubby likes them.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Did you ever notice that all ears of corn have an even number of rows?

The average ear has 16 rows and 800 kernals, and there is one piece of silk for each kernal.

SB  :wacko:

How do you know this stuff? :wacko:

Typewriter method for me as well. No, corn stabbers, but hubby likes them.

My Father's side of the family are engineers, which gave me a predelection for counting things, and my Mother's family was mostly teachers, who taught me to look things up.

I also ear my corn in a neat (teacher styler) typewriter fashion, and while trying to make the rows come out even (engineer style) I noticed how I had often eaten four rows of four.

Somewhere I once read that all ears had even numbers of rows, and when this topic came up I just googled up Wikipedia and ...... there you go! :wink:

We nuke them, in the husk, for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes each.  (If it's grocery store corn, then 3 minutes each.  The stuff from the stands is either very, very fresh, or is of a more tender variety.)  Then we open the husks, pull all the silk out in 1 tug, then use butter and salt.  The husks become a handle.

Interesting. I nuke my corn usually as well, but I've always husked first, then wrapped in paper towel. I think I'll have to try this.

I also don't bother husking, though sometimes I'll take off the first few layers of husk. I think I learned this nuking method here, though it could have been elsewhere. THe great thing about nuking it with the husks on is that the silk really does come off easily.

So nobody eats their corn one kernel at a time?

Not quite, but I do eat just a few kernels from a single row at a time, across in typewriter fashion. I find fewer bits stick in my teeth that way, and the cob looks much neater, too. I get a little prissy sometimes.

I started eating corn, one kernel at a time after coming back from a trip to Peru. The train to Aguas Caliente below Machu Picchu stopped at a depot and vendors with baskets came in the trains selling starchy/meaty corn called choclo along with a salty local cheese. It was washed down with a beverage made with blue corn called Chicha Morada, I think? Must be an Inca thing to eat one kernel at a time?

how do I eat my corn?...............with relish! *bada-bing* :rolleyes:

Yah, it was *corny*, but I couldn't resist.

jk

With Tons of hot butter, sprinkled with salt, and I just dive into it at it's most vulnerable spot. Messy, randomly and very sloppy. It's just too good to be fussy with!

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!