• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee Maker Question

mikeycook

When my wife were in Washington, D.C. earlier this year, we ate at an upscale Chinese restaurant called Mr. K's (I know there is also one in New York, my hometown). When dessert came, the waiting brought a device that was essentially two glass balls that stack on top of each other (with a tube connecting them) and sit over an open flame. The water is put into the lower glass ball, the coffee in the top. When the flame is put under the lower ball, the water heats and rises into the top chamber, brewing the coffee. Once all the water is in the top ball, the open flame is taken away and the water drains back into the bottom ball as coffee (with the grounds remaining in the top ball).

Can anyone tell me what this device is called and where I might buy one? It made one of the best cups of coffee I have ever had (and it would be fun to use at home).

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

It's a vacuum brewer, aka a vacpot. See Coffeekid's vacpot page. They're widely available at coffee specialty stores and even from amazon.com. Bodum makes a pretty good one, the Santos. There's even an all-electric version, the eSantos, that Starbucks has rebranded as the Utopia.

edit: *$s doesn't have a apostrophe

Edited by carswell (log)

I bought a Santos. They make great coffee and are really fun to make coffee in. Impress your friends and neighbors! Be the first on your block!

Somewhere around here Owen has a series of very cool photos of one of these things in action, but it must be buried in an unrelated thread (he is a notorious off topic poster :raz: ). Perhaps he will check in later and link to them.. They were great photos.

I love mine and highly reccomend it.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Thanks, everyone, for the quick response. That's it all right. In fact, I am pretty sure the one they used was this Santos. I am definitely going to look into buying one.

Thanks. :-)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Everyone seemed to have one of these back in the 40s and 50s. They even had them in restaurants.

Silex was the brand of choice but they were made by several other companies.

Then the electric percolator came along and they seemed to go out of fashion.

I still have the bottom part of a stainless steel one made by Nicro, Model 510. The top vanished a long time ago but the bottom part has been in constant use for at least 40 years. I still have the little hot plate base that is cupped to fit the bottom of the pot and won't fit anything else.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I bought a Santos....

Somewhere around here Owen has a series of very cool photos of one of these things in action, but it must be buried in an unrelated thread (he is a notorious off topic poster :raz: ).

I think Mayhaw Man might have been inspired to buy his pot (vacuum that is)based on this thread

Vacuum Pot Brewing, It's cool... is it better?

I think notorious is a bit extreme :laugh: I was thinking "devlishly handsome and erudite off-topic poster" would be a better fit.