• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

mini painted faux fruit

In Reading Terminal Market, it's the chocolate place across the way from Termini Brothers (1st aisle if you are coming in on the south side) sells marzipan. They do still do it. I think Shane's Candies (110 Market, 215-922-1048) might also have them.

Unless you are talking about marzipan not so much as a candy but as a raw ingredient :hmmm: (your friend will mold it into candy him/herself?), then I would try Fante's in the Italian Market.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

I havent tried to buy any in Philly but when in Manhatten we always try to stop at Elk candy company, particularly during New Years so we can pick up our good luck Marzipan pigs. The chocolate covered marzipan logs, that they slice into pieces are so delicious they can probably make a marzipan lover out of almost anyone. There is one typeof chocolate covered marzipan log that has a chocolate ganache swirled with the marzipan, unbelievably good. You can order off of their website, which I have done and they do a nice job getting your order out quickly and shipping it nicely.

elk candy

• 5 months later...
can anyone help out? A friend would like to buy some marzipan. Since I don't like it, I have no idea where to find any. tia.

What kind of marzipan are you looking for? They are sold as little fruit shaped items (usually too sweet), or as chocolate bars or even as blocks, which can be used for cooking (I like these better was they are not too sweet).

I have bought the chocolate bars at the Caviar House in the Philly airport and at Reading Terminal Market. The fruit shaped marzipan pops up at some stores occassionally (Target?) or your supermarket. The blocks are the hardest to find, but I just saw some yesterday sold as almond blocks at Claudio's King of Cheese in the Italian Market on 9th street (DiBruno's might carry it as well).

Avril 50 on Penn campus carries the great German brand, Niederegger. No fruit shapes, though...just plain and chocolate-covered logs, and the occasional lucky pig. In terms of taste, this stuff blows all others clear out of the water, IMO.

...the occasional lucky pig...

percyn, the original request was way back in August, so we're no longer looking for marzipan, but thanks.

Lucky pigs: Pigs (along with mushrooms, shamrocks and lady bugs) are lucky in Vienna for the New Year. After all the Christmas markets (think outdoor craft fairs w/ hot alcoholic beverages) shut down, little street stands pop up all over the city selling rows on rows of little glass/ceramic/plastic/stuffed pig figurines for New Year's. Some of the little plastic pigs are awfully anthropomorphized- one toted a machine gun with a black bra and pants. All the pastry places carry pig shaped pastries and the chocolate stores sell pig shaped marzipan. Cute! I did bring back some touristy Mozart balls for work (chocolate covered marzipan) that were ok, but I still don't enjoy marzipan.

Those Mozart balls are probably the only thing I actually like marzipan in. And only because it's a tiny paper thin layer underneath that delicious chocolate. Vitually unnoticeable.

I have a collection of those little New Years piggies of my own. My favorite is a very sexy and zaftig little piggie in a black and white bikini striking a voluptuous pose. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol