• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Too Much Lamb

Al_Dente

A co-worker of mine had a cookout this past weekend that featured a 40 lb lamb roasted on a spit. He has a lot of leftover cooked meat and doesn't know what to do with it all.

Can he prepare something and freeze it? I know you folks will have some good ideas, so please my lamb-laden friend out! :biggrin:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

You can make kefta from cooked lamb, you simply grind it and mix with the herbs and spices, fry them, drain well on a rack till completly cool, then freeze on a sheet pan and transfer to a ziploc bag when frozen. (This way they won't stick together)

Recipe here

They can be reheated in the microwave or thawed and heated in the oven, they can even be steamed.

you do not have to shape them in the traditional shape, you can form patties, etc.

You can use other herbs and spices for a different flavor if you wish, use the same proportions. Sage and cumin with some ground hot pepper is an alternative flavor which is good with lamb.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I would suggest making a rather large batch of Scotch Broth (Scottish Lamb Soup). Before you know it, fall will be upon us and defrosting some comforting barley soup would be a lovely thing. Soup freezes extremely well and batches of it can go a long way and be a nice gift!

- make leftover lamb casserole - brown up lots of onions, deglaze pan with red wine and or lamb/chicken/veg stock, add rosemary or thyme, maybe some redcurrant jelly, maybe some black olives, maybe a strip of orange peel, reduce sauce to almost the right consistency, add lamb chunks, simmer 10 mins to amalgamate flavours + thicken sauce, serve with mashed potatoes. mmmmmm.

- if the meat has not gone dry and can be rewarmed slightly, use to make Nigella's warm lamb salad - shredded slow-baked lamb shoulder on a bed of (from memory) green leaves and mint leaves, with pomegranate seeds sprinkled over, dressing of (can't remember but think that pomegranate molasses could usefully feature, also lemon juice) - delicious tucked into pitta bread with tzatziki, though not v freeze-able

- three ingredient curry (I normally make this with leftover turkey/chicken) - slice one onion finely, fry half till soft and golden, add lamb pieces, one tin chickpeas drained, some stock, tbsp of curry paste, simmer 10 mins or so (should be quite thin and soupy). Meanwhile, fry rest of onion till crispy and blackened. Slosh curry over basmati rice, top with crispy onions, eat. Wish you had made more crispy onions now, doncha. Again, not so good for freezing, though you can.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

make some lamb and kidney pies (ever heard of pie and mash? they are mutton so this should taste good) use a thin pie crust

make some good mash spuds

and make a nice parsley sauce to go with it

serve with plenty of black pepper and vinegar