• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessert University

SanFran88

Back in February I had a little look at the page proofs, and it looks like it'll be a very instructive book. It's organized in sections from simple to complex recipes, so that you can start with basic techniques and recipes and build up. The pages I saw (and I didn't have time to really read much of it) were not in color, but I think the photos are going to be very nice. The production editor working on the book told me that everyone who worked on the book did a very thorough job and the recipes should all be good. Was I sucking up to get a copy? You bet.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

• 2 weeks later...

I got a copy of Dessert University yesterday; it was actually done a little ahead of schedule. I haven't had a chance to actually bake anything from it yet, but it looks very good. What I've read in it so far is clear and interesting. Similar to Sherry Yard's Secrets of Baking, the idea is basically to give the reader a good grounding in making the basic components of pastries--meringues, dough, mousses, ganache, and so on, and then using them to create more elaborate desserts. There's a big section on fruit-based desserts, and Mesnier's take on traditional American-style cookies, brownies, cobblers, and so on is interesting to see. So the initial laying-on-of-hands suggests that this is definitely a keeper.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

No, it doesn't, unfortunately, and that is one drawback. The perception among publishers is that the vast majority of home cooks don't use a scale, so providing that information isn't worth the effort.

How hard is it to put them in parentheses? Any number of books already do it; I just don't get it. Pheh.

I'm with you on that.

Richard Leach's book even gave weights, and considering Mesnier used to teach the pastry course at L'Academie de Cuisine in Md., you would think...

Lazy bunch of crap

2317/5000

• 5 weeks later...

I bought this one. I've enjoyed reading it alot. I feel a real connection with the type of work he does as a pc. Although I don't have his average clientele of world leaders.........it seemed like we do similar work and in many ways have a similar outlook on our jobs. His book seems personal and I believe I'd greatly enjoy his company.

I wish it had more photos........ALOT! Thats the only negative I've found in this book.

He writes telling the reader his thoughts based on his experiences.......which is something other authors rarely include. He often (although I would have like even more opinions) explains why he prefers this over that.

In fact he's changed my opinion on creme brulee'. I've always baked mine but after reading that chapter and making his champange creme brulee stovetop, I'm ready to become a convert to making brulee stovetop only.

His book is geared a little more basic then my ideal book at this point in my life. But I'm still going to give several of his base recipes a chance to knock my favorites off. I think he knows a hell of alot more than I, and I'm going to take his advice on several things. Theres been times when I've chuckled to myself agreeing with his perspective and saying to hell with 'tradition' if it's not better.

One shocker was him writing about pies. He uses all shortening (which he knows his countrymen would mutiney over) and he reasons it to what HIS client seems to prefer. Then he adds extra butter in his fillings to give back some richness.

I'm looking forward to trying more recipes. If the rest turn out as well as his champange creme brulee did - I'd suggest you run to get this book.

I bought his book while at the ICES convention three weeks ago in Washington DC. I have to agree that it has way too few, way too few pictures, which was disappointing. I haven't had much time to try any of the recipes yet, but I'm looking forward to trying some of the cakes in the book. I really enjoyed reading through that chapter as well as the one on Fruit Desserts.

I took a look at this book the last time I was at the bookstore, and was very intrigued by it ( it has gone on my to get list , but is not at the top ).

I am interested in trying his substitution for a rubber pump for blowing sugar - the brake line cable for an automobile. He says it is the best thing he has used,for blowing sugar, at a very cheap price I might add :biggrin:

Jason

No, it doesn't, unfortunately, and that is one drawback. The perception among publishers is that the vast majority of home cooks don't use a scale, so providing that information isn't worth the effort.

As a home cook, I can say that's a very bad chicken/egg notion. First many home cooks do have scales. Second, those who don't have scales don't have them because most cookbooks don't use weight measures.

I bake much more since I've had a scale. It gives me much more confidence and eliminates the need to try to figure out how the writer measures flour.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

• 5 months later...
One shocker was him writing about pies. He uses all shortening (which he knows his countrymen would mutiney over) and he reasons it to what HIS client seems to prefer. Then he adds extra butter in his fillings to give back some richness.

I tried that pie crust (I had some shortening that I wanted to get rid of) and it was an absolute disaster -- I found it very hard to work with. And then, when I blind baked it, the entire thing melted into one big fatty mess. Yuck!

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I pulled my book out last night to check on what I made from this book. I only tried 3 recipes, which ones and what I thought follow.

Silky Chocolate Cream Pie, p.91 I thought it was strickly average. It's just a chocolate pastry cream (I think Herme's is better) based topped with whipped cream. I wouldn't make this again.

Champagne Creme Brulee with Green Grapes, p. 95 I thought this was excellent. I like the stove top champagne creme brulee and the macerated grapes. This was easy to make and the brulee could be used in conjuction with any fruit or other application.

Almond Meringue, p. 215 this didn't work for me as written. I didn't write any further notes on why it didn't work. I believe I was experimenting with quarts of egg whites instead of fresh egg whites.