• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food and wine

Florida Jim

With homemade, grilled pizzas:

1999 Produttori del Barbaresco, Barbaresco:

Like the last bottle, open and accessible on the nose with rich nebbiolo scents and some tar accents; the same on the palate with good concentration and structure and a smooth texture, good balance and a long, slightly tannic finish.

Yummy stuff. Imported by Vias Imports.

With fresh sliced tomatoes and organic EVOO:

2002 Anselmi, San Vincenzo:

I recommend serving this colder than cellar temp. as it seems to have a slightly blurry flavor profile when it warms to room temp. but when cold, it is both clean and clear with white fruit and earthen tones and a medium finish.

More in an aperitif style than an accompaniment to food but delicious, nonetheless. Imported by Winebow.

With grilled chicken breasts and blanched white asparagus:

1996 Baumard, Savennieres Clos du Papillon:

golden in color; intense, expansive and complex on the nose with chamomile, wax, stones, rushing stream water and all sorts of citrus zests; full bodied, deep and pure on the palate with substantial secondary development which lends to textural and flavor layering, concentrated and intense, perfectly balanced; and unbelievable length.

Imported by Classic Wine Imports.

An unparalleled wine with such strong flavors as to put off tasters without the ability to cope with this kind of focus; definitely not for everyone. To me, a stunning example of terroir and a genuinely great wine with an unlimited future.

Amazingly, I found this in a bargain bin for less than $10. Now, that’s QPR!

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com