• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grand Central Terminal

Pan

In a previous thread, Jason reported on his awful meal at Cipriani Dolci. That and my lunch today inspired me to start a thread where we can praise what's good at GCT. I hadn't had time to pick up lunch in my neighborhood while on the way to visit a friend in Tarrytown this afternoon. I got to the lower level of GCT, ticket in hand, some 12 minutes before my train's scheduled departure. As I stepped off the staircase, I noticed an outlet of Pepe Rosso, part of the Pepe chain of quality paninoteche/trattorie. They weren't selling the panino caprese which I usually have enjoyed on visits to Pepe Giallo on 10th Av. near 25 St., but they did have a panino di prosciutto. For $7.50, I got a very good sandwich of prosciutto, excellent-quality fresh arugula, and fresh mozarella on good press-toasted bread. They made it for me in 7 minutes, I paid and got on the train with a few minutes to spare, and I was able to have an enjoyable lunch instead of showing up hungry. :smile:

Where do you like to get something to eat or drink on the way to or from the train in Grand Central?

Michael aka "Pan"

The Dining Concourse downstairs is still in flux, and some of our favorite outlets are gone. Such as Shoebox Cafe, which supplied the four major food groups: bacon, ham, sausage, and muffins. :biggrin::sad:

BUT: some of the stalls in the Market (with entries from the station and from Lexington Avenue) sell ready-to-eat prepared foods that are worth getting. In particular, Wild Edibles :wub: has seafood salads and other items packed for "grab-and-go." And, of course, one can always pick up items at Murray's, Corrado (bread from Balthazar, among other sources), and the produce stands.

The Oyster Bar has been one of my favorites, but I haven't been there in a while.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The Oyster Bar has been one of my favorites, but I haven't been there in a while.

Hmmm, do they do take-out on the pan roasts and stews? :unsure::unsure: (Since Pan is looking for portable stuff)

We still like them for simple fish -- NOT for more complicated, saucy things.

I also love the Oyster Bar - for whatever the daily special is.........and a half dozen mollusks if the month has an 'R"!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Murray's in the Market has a nice little picnic tray, usually manchego, almonds and dried fruit, that's a pretty good deal. I've picked them up as a cocktail snack for my hotel room. (If I have time, I duck into that wine shop beside the market and get a split of sparkling wine to go with it. A girl's got to travel with some style, after all.) And I always grab a tub of marcona almonds at Murray's to take back to Charlotte, N.C. I can get The Peanut Shop marconas in town, but they seem drier and not as good as the ones at Murrays.

I haven't been there in a couple of years, but the pizza at Two Boots iwas in the not-bad category when I took my son to N.Y. Unfortunately, I'd put everything else in the food hall in the give-it-a-miss column.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

I thought Zocalo's had decent Tex-Mex and a great spot for people watching - are they still there?

The Caviarteria was my favorite, but it's closed. Good value - nice sparkling wines.

If you get hungry for just a nibble, go upstairs to O's and taste the Olive Oils with some crackers or bread or "straight-up."

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Zocalo is still there. Junior's is, too. It's mostly the stands that have turned over or just disappeared. No more Shoebox, no more Christer's (wursts), City Bakery is long gone, as is Caviarteria. They closed all their "tasting bars" except for the original one, shown here.

Nam is no longer listed at the MTA's site for GCT -- click on Restaurants and Dining. That was actually the first place I ever had banh mi -- and undoubtedly the most expensive I think it was more like $4.50. :shock:

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Is lillac chocolate still there.. that place is good.

Yup, on both counts. If you go to the MTA link I posted above and click on Grand Central Market, you get the list of which stalls are there.

My particular favorite stand is Wild Edibles; had some ivory salmon from there a few weeks ago that was super. And mussels. :wub: I've never actually tried their prepared foods, but I trust them. Especially since a sous chef I used to work under developed some of their recipes, years ago.

i LOVE the paninoteca but my favorite sandwich is the one with the prosciutto, arugula and parmigiana (or romano?) cheese. i always get either a Junior's cheesecake or a Little Pie Co. swiss apple pie and i've been known to scarf down a few Jamaican Meat Patties.

The German chocolate brownies (and, as we discovered yesterday, the crème brulée cake) at Corrado's in the Grand Central Market are good enough to make you cry.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

• 4 months later...

Jacques-Imo is opening Jacques-Imo's To Geaux down in the "food court."

Mendys (kosher deli) has opened a counter with appetizing and other dairy delights.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Ciao bello gelato has just opened in the food court, too...be still, my expanding waistline...

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

If it's been a particularly stressful week at work I treat myself to a cheeseburger from Junior's with thier "cornbread" coated onion rings....all my problems melt away.

There is also a Two Boots Pizza stand there. I find their pizza is great but all of their other offerings (calzones etc.) are substandard.

Don't get the whitefish salad at Mendys!! I had if for lunch today -- it was awful.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone got an update? I'm going to be meeting some people at Grand Central this Sunday for lunch. Is the Pepe Rosso outlet still there? Anything else you'd recommend?

Michael aka "Pan"

The Pepe Rosso outlet is still there. But IMO they oversauce their pastas, with sauces that tend to be too watery to boot.

When I'm down there, I usually get slice pizza from Two Boots. Or soup from Hale and Hearty, which is a decent enough workday lunch, but not something you'd have when you're meeting people.

Of course, oyster pan roast or stew at the counter at the Oyster Bar is still probably the best food down there. (If you're brave these days.)