• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A day with friends

Florida Jim

Lunch:

With turkey sandwiches and chips:

2002 Anselmi, San Vincenzo:

Lovely pear, honey and floral smells; fleshy and succulent on the palate with broad flavors that follow the nose, some depth, some complexity and nice balance; medium finish.

A clean, juicy wine with enough body to stand with the dish but not so much as to overpower it. Ready now. Imported by Winebow.

Dinner:

With pasta with sautéed onions, garlic and oil cured olives:

1999 Gilles Robin, Crozes-Hermitage Cuvee Alberic Bouvet:

Scents of olives and fresh meat accent the red plum nose; medium body and nice layered flavors that follow the nose make for an interesting and delicious profile, good concentration and authenticity, balanced; long finish.

The structure is there but stays hidden even though the wine is dense and has a somewhat worsted texture. Some very nice matching points with the dish (especially the olives) made this pairing quite successful. Good now, probably better later. Imported by Eric Solomon.

With ginger-soy-sesame marinated duck breasts grilled:

2001 B. Giacosa, Nebbiolo d’Alba Valmaggiore:

Decanted about an hour as it was thin and tight upon opening; captivating rose and red fruit aromas with airing and some spicy-earthy accents with a hint of asphalt; medium bodied and light-weight in the mouth but no lack of intensity or flavor, good complexity and a structure that seems to smooth out with the food, balanced; slightly drying finish.

Young for sure but with some time in the decanter, a lovely, transparent nebbiolo. Sipped with the dish, it was twice the wine as without. Could use a couple years in the cellar. Imported by Winebow.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim,

I love your wine notes. If it isn't too great an imposition, could you please list the costs of the wines you critique? Thank you.

Porkpa

I used to do that but I found such a wide variation in prices depending on the reader's location that I stopped. Rather, I decided to list the importer so that finding the wine would be made easier if a person was so inclined. Then they would ask what was being charged locally.

As for this post, the Anselmi was $8, the Robin $9 and the Giacoa $23. I believe that these prices are less (in the case of the Robin, much less) than most folks will find them priced locally. I have a lot of time to search for the best price and I also buy close-outs when I find them. I have pretty much given up bying at full retail unless there is simply no alternative.

In any event, I'll consider listing the prices again but I'm not sure how to convey the above information succinctly in each post. Any suggestions?

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

With all the pricing information available on the Internet now it is really not required to post prices with each note. Often everyone is better served if individual members search out pricing in regards to the area where they will by the wine as pricing can vary significantly. Also as we have discussed before, on wines purchased years ago that price is not very informative - except to make us all jealous!

For example Jim's price on the Giacosa Nebbiolo is about half what it costs me :raz:

With all the pricing information available on the Internet now it is really not required to post prices with each note. Often everyone is better served if individual members search out pricing in regards to the area where they will by the wine as pricing can vary significantly. Also as we have discussed before, on wines purchased years ago that price is not very informative - except to make us all jealous!

For example Jim's price is about half what it costs me :raz:

Craig and Porkpa,

FYI, there was another reason that I deleted pricing from my posts; not just because of the reason stated in my previous post. I got more than one e-mail from folks who thought I was shilling for a retailer/importer/producer and decided to tell me what they thought of it.

Although I have good relationships with several retailers, distributors and producers, I don't color my notes on their behalf. Probably the reason I have such relationships in the first place is because most of those people are big boys and girls with adult sensibilities.

And besides, my impact is insignificant.

But it sort of shook me to get those e-mails so I just cut the pricing info. out.

As I say, if someone can think of a succint disclaimer for each post that would get my points across, I'd reconsider.

Best, Jim

Edited by Florida Jim (log)

www.CowanCellars.com

FYI, there was another reason that I deleted pricing from my posts; not just because of the reason stated in my previous post. I got more than one e-mail from folks who thought I was shilling for a retailer/importer/producer and decided to tell me what they thought of it.

:blink: lots of strange folks out there.

By the way Jim, I had that Giacosa a few weeks ago at Antine. I thought it was fantastic and after about an hour in the decanter it really blossomed.

Although I have good relationships with several retailers, distributors and producers, I don't color my notes on their behalf. Probably the reason I have such relationships in the first place is because most of those people are big boys and girls with adult sensibilities.

And besides, my impact is insignificant.

But it sort of shook me to get those e-mails so I just cut the pricing info. out.

As I say, if someone can think of a succint disclaimer for each post that would get my points across, I'd reconsider.

Best, Jim

Yes, you and your superb and accurate tasting notes.

Your succinct and informative posts on multitudes of wines is shameful. :laugh:

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

Actually, I do remember seeing a few snotty comments about shilling for an importer, although I can't find them now. However, I enjoy the pricing info. It lets me know what ballpark range the wines are in and I can immediately decide if I want to follow up or not. I would encourage you to include the price, and if anyone yips about it, just put it up to your loyal eGulleteers for a vote.

:fist! emoticon:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook