• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

recs near old saybrook

ellenesk

will be staying at the saybrook point hotel(any feedback on this place would be great) and looking for suggestions near there for dinner. Seafood would be great. Also, any thoughts on their restaurant, Terra Mare would be helpful

Go to Lenny and Joe's, Rte 1 in Westbrook or Madison (Westbrook is closer and a sit-down restaurant) for very casual seafood. The Westbrook location is probably 5 miles from Saybrook Point (off the top of my head). Ambience is nothing but the food is good. Ambience is better in Madison where you can sit outside at picnic tables.

In order:

Lobster Roll (the buttered, not mayo-ed, kind) - this is one of the best tasting things on the planet

Scrod and Chips

Whole Clams (if you like)

Clam Strips.

The Saybrook Fishhouse is a pretty good bet. Broiled oysters in scampi butter and mussels in wine and garlic with some nice warm bread for dipping are winners in my book. They have a pretty good salad in my measure (get the house dressing). They have a fruit basket after dinner that is nice too.

Cheers,

HC

For fancy, go to Cafe Routier in Westbrook.

But I would also echo Lenny and Joe's. I just ate there 3 days ago, and had the Buttered Lobster Roll. It was damn good.

I was at Johnny Ad's last Friday on my way to Providence. Had what could possibly be the best fried clams ever - Plump, tender, parchment thin batter coating, full of flavor.

i8946.jpg

Others shared my opinion

i8948.jpg

An excellent foot long chili cheese dog, grilled and on a toasted new england style hot dog roll.

i8947.jpg

Its at 910 Boston Post Road (Route One), minutes off I-95

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter