• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tipping sommeliers

daisy17

It's never been clear to me whether I'm supposed to separately tip a sommelier who recommends/presents/pours wine for the table. (I recognize that this thread may more appropriately belong under "wine" but I'd like to specifically know what other New Yorkers do, and I feel like I know you all after reading your posts for so long, so I'm hoping that this can stay here!)

Generally speaking, I tip at least 20% on the total bill, including tax and alcohol/wine, so this isn't a question of trying to save money. It's more of a protocol issue - the thought of handing cash separately to a sommelier makes me very uncomfortable. Let's assume there's not a separate line on the credit card printout for the sommelier's tip (I've never seen one). So what do you do? If you do tip separately, do you calculate 20% for the server based on food and then do a separate calculation for the sommelier basd on the cost of the wine? If so, what is that percentage?

If I lump it all together in one tip amount on the credit card bill, will the server tip the sommelier out?

Thanks in advance.

I am curious too. I never tipped sommeliers separately (if it is the custom, then apologies in advance to all sommeliers). I was in NYC a couple of weeks ago with my husband and we ate at Babbo. There I saw a woman discreetly slip the sommelier some cash. So we did the same (When in Rome & you’re clueless…). It was kinda awkward; it felt sneaky. Funny note, I think the woman was Frances Sternhagen (Bunny MacDougal, Charlotte’s mother-in-law on Sex in the City - can’t get more NYC than that!). We tipped 20% of the price of the wine.

If it is customary, then I will have to fly to NY this weekend to tip the sommelier at Veritas because the wine he suggested was incredible. I think I’ll do it anyway, customary or not. It was that good.

OK, I didn’t answer your question :smile: . You could probably Google it to find your answer. I would be curious to know from those “in the business” the percentage of diners that tip the sommelier separately.

I'm actually going to Veritas again on Saturday, hence my curiosity. In the past, friends and I haven't separately tipped; if I'm doing this incorrectly and slighting the sommelier I need to know.

I have looked up answers to this issue on various websites, and they do seem to suggest that people actually hand cash to the sommelier. This seems bizarre to me. What I'm looking for is exactly what you suggested: what do people really do and what does the staff really expect?

I'm actually going to Veritas again on Saturday, hence my curiosity.   

Oh am I jealous!

After looking up the tipping issue on the internet I'm even more confused. The opinions range from "it's customary" to "don't ever" (or you will be double-tipping them).

This is by no means the difinitive word, but it's a good rule of thumb. In high end restaurants the 15-5-3 system normally works. Meaning 15 for the wait person, 5 for the wine steward and 3 for the matri'd or captain. This is an older custom when the matri'd or captain would seat you, take your order and make sure everything was working well at your table.

In today's restaurant scene tipping the wine steward is strictly a personal choice. If the sommelier has selected the wine (not merely brought you your selection), then tipping 5 percent of the total bill is appropriate. Otherwise a $5 or $10 tip would be fine (depending on the number of bottles ordered, it should rise accordingly).

You can do it in cash (discreetly as you leave) or make a separate space for it on the credit card receipt. Years ago, credit card slips had spaces clearly marked for the "Captain" and "Wine Steward." Diners Club started this and other cards picked it up. I haven't seen that in years though.

If still unsure, make a discreet trip to the host/hostess and ask if the wine steward gets a percentage of the total tip.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

what's with all the secret-secret? if it's appropriate who cares?

I guess I should have said, if you're giving cash don't make a big fuss over it, as we have all seen happen.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I believe many restaurants to include a sommelier cut in the pool of the evenings tips. I would only tip on any special services rendered that may not have been available to every guest, bringing in your own bottles or requesting special stemware for instance.

After all, having someone help choose and poor wine is the main part of their job and that's why they receive an appropriate salary for the restaurant. I hate the expectation that some people believe that you should 20% on the bottle regardless of whether it costs $50 or $2,000. That just doesn't seem right to me.

I hate the expectation that some people believe that you should 20% on the bottle regardless of whether it costs $50 or $2,000.  That just doesn't seem right to me.

One of sites I found on tipping the sommelier said never under $10 & over $50 is excessive.

Some of you might know that I'm a bit of a wine geek and I have to say, it's been a long, long time since I've seen the Captain/Sommelier split on the tip line of a check in New York! In fact, the last time I saw it was at a 3-Star place in Paris! In my experience, even in very good restaurants (Babbo being one) the waitstaff pools tips and the Sommelier gets his fare share. I've never had a sommelier give off any vibes that he was slighted by not getting an extra tip and I would be really surprised if it would happen in New York.

On the other hand, I suppose if the sommelier went over and above and really made your wine experience that much better tossing him a few bucks would be fine.

BeeT's

I hate the expectation that some people believe that you should 20% on the bottle regardless of whether it costs $50 or $2,000.  That just doesn't seem right to me.

One of sites I found on tipping the sommelier said never under $10 & over $50 is excessive.

Never under $10 can be problematic. There are a couple of restaurants (Landmarc for one) that are selling wine at Liquor Store prices. They have some great choices in the $20 range. Giving the wine steward a $10 tip on one $20 bottle seems excessive.

On the other hand never more than $50 can also be a problem. If a steward has made several selections (and good ones) and the total bill comes to more than $2,000.

Rich Schulhoff

So if you tip the sommelier, should your dinner tip include the cost of alcohol?

Yes, that's where the old 15-5-3 comes into play. Even if you eliminate the captain (there are very few today), then you're still leaving a 20 percent tip on the total bill.

Rich Schulhoff

Never under $10 can be problematic. There are a couple of restaurants (Landmarc for one) that are selling wine at Liquor Store prices. They have some great choices in the $20 range. Giving the wine steward a $10 tip on one $20 bottle seems excessive.

On the other hand never more than $50 can also be a problem. If a steward has made several selections (and good ones) and the total bill comes to more than $2,000.

Yep. I agree.

(Am I to try to avoid simple response posts like this?)

I just interviewed five sommeliers for a story and they all told me their tips come from the pool. Also, these days there are many restaurants where all the waiters have some sommelier training, so never assume your sommelier is THE sommelier. I was also pretty shocked to find out that most of them make seriously lousy pay, as in minimum wage plus tips. :sad:

It's customary nowadays for the tips to be pooled among all the staff. I therefore presume that the restaurant is divvying up my tip appropriately. I would only single out an individual if s/he had gone well beyond the normal duties of the job.

Please let me add my 2¢. I work in a very high end restaurant. Yes, the waiters pool the tips. In my place, I am not included in the tip pool. Let me address this first. The waiter you left the $100 tip for has to split it this way: 30% off the top for the busboys, food runners and expeditor. This leaves $66. Split 6 ways = $11. Minus taxes = $8.50. I am a professional sommelier. I have a salary plus commission on the wine sold. If I made your night more enjoyable than it would have been, you are free to show whatever appreciation you are willing to. Can't say more without getting into trouble. Let DonRocks finish this.

Edited by Mark Sommelier (log)

Mark

I just interviewed five sommeliers for a story and they all told me their tips come from the pool. Also, these days there are many restaurants where all the waiters have some sommelier training, so never assume your sommelier is THE sommelier. I was also pretty shocked to find out that most of them make seriously lousy pay, as in minimum wage plus tips. :sad:

As one who does payroll for a restaurant I can tell you that it's LESS than minimum wage + tips. In PA the current minimum wage is $5.15/hr. Waiters make 2.84/hr + tips, bartenders and busboys make 4.23/hr. + tips. That's why gratuities are customary in this country. In Europe they actually make a living wage, so the tip percentage is lower.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Most restaurants in NYC include the wine director/sommeiler in the tip pool or pay them as a manager. Either way, its rarely what they are worth.

I have never understood the concern people have with *over tipping.* If the wine steward has enhanced your evening, a discrete (discrete, because the obvious presentation of money is in very bad taste) gratuity is welcome.

Same goes with *buying* a table when you don't have a reservation. If you are obvious about the exchange of cash, you cause serious problems for the host.

The difference is that paying for a table that otherwise wouldn't be offered is arguably unethical (I think it is), while tipping the sommelier for good service he almost certainly would have given you anyway isn't. How could it be thought unethical or otherwise unseemly? I don't get it.

Michael aka "Pan"

The difference is that paying for a table that otherwise wouldn't be offered is arguably unethical (I think it is), while tipping the sommelier for good service he almost certainly would have given you anyway isn't. How could it be thought unethical or otherwise unseemly? I don't get it.

The obvious display of money (especially a gratuity) is considered gauche (an exception is at a bar where a check presenter is rarely used). Flashing the demomination or amount of the gratuity is even worse. It is considered rude to the person being tipped.

As for unethical......well......*buying* a table is not unheard of in restaurants which have a feature that is in great demand. I don't consider it a good business practice, but if greasing the wheel is the means to an end.........?

beans, i think that's a pretty big statement. the font i mean. no really, i honestly don't feel that people should feel required to tip a sommelier, mostly for the many reasons already mentioned here.

generally, i might call on the services of a sommelier, and generally, it will be quick and to the point, and i won't be ordering hugely expensive bottles or requiring an sort of special treatment beyond "do you have anything in mind that might go well with the sweetbreads?". i'll usually only bother with requesting the services if i get the sense that the waiter isn't going to be much help, and most make it very clear if they can or can't help. and considering that very few people seem to tip the sommelier seperately, i'd dare say it's not a customary generally speaking.

that said, if the sommelier is an intergral part of the meal, and is obviously providing services above and beyond what he'd do for most people, i don't have any sort of issue with handing him some money. how much? well i don't know, i suppose that depends on the expense of the meal, the level of service, etc.

but for the average meal, i don't feel obligated. i would think that others shouldn't either. and i'm sure not going to track him down when i'm ready to leave to palm the 20. maybe i could just give it to the waiter and ask that he pass it on, as one might do when getting one's hair washed/colored/whatever and one doesn't want to track down the washer for the 2 dollar tipping process. but then again, i'm not convinced the waiter wouldn't just keep it. :biggrin:

edit: excuse the gender-specificity and my general ignorance.

Edited by tommy (log)