• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RUB (Righteous Urban Barbecue)

jhlurie

For example, there are points of differentiation between the Lobel's Guide to Meat and the IMPS, especially with respect to naming the shell (Lobel's) or strip loin (IMPS), and of course virtually no steakhouse uses either term -- it's almost always "New York strip" or the like.

grrblmumbleKansas City striphrrumpharrgh...

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Okay, when I come from KC to NYC for another food trip, would it be considered "irony" when I check out Paul's restaurant (I've never had his BBQ before)? Don't know if that's the right description, I'll have to ask my buddy from Manhattan when he comes to KC to have a reuben. :biggrin:

Paul is a great guy, I wish him all the best. As an amateur bbq'r from Kansas City, he's definitely someone my friends and I admire. Properly done smoked brisket is such an art, I wish I had a fraction of his knowledge and experience.

BTW, Gates does serve chicken, but you know what they DON'T serve?? PORK! They've got ham (yeah, pork, but just not the same, not even close), turkey, and some locations even have mutton, but of all things they don't serve sliced or pulled pork butt. That's part of the reason I rarely eat there. Besides it being my favorite BBQ menu item, it has always stricken me as bizarre that they don't serve it.

Can't wait to hear reports on Paul's restaurant when it opens next year!

Jerry

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Okay, when I come from KC to NYC for another food trip, would it be considered "irony" when I check out Paul's restaurant (I've never had his BBQ before)?

I think the phrase is "carrying coals to Newcastle."

No, wait. That phrase would describe Bobby Flay deciding to open up a grill shop in Kansas City. :hmmm:

Irony is a pretty good fit for the situation you describe.

BTW, Gates does serve chicken, but you know what they DON'T serve??  PORK!  They've got ham (yeah, pork, but just not the same, not even close), turkey, and some locations even have mutton, but of all things they don't serve sliced or pulled pork butt.  That's part of the reason I rarely eat there.  Besides it being my favorite BBQ menu item, it has always stricken me as bizarre that they don't serve it.

I always ordered ribs or brisket when I went to Gates', so I guess I didn't notice that other stuff.

Aside: Score one small victory for us natives here where the people have no Barbecue. Through an exchange in the eG Pennsylvania forum, we managed through the good efforts of one of our fellow Philly eGulleteers to convince the owners of a new 'cue joint in Center City (right behind the Academy of Music) to offer plain ol' squishy white bread with their platters. They had been serving pita!

Okay, when I come from KC to NYC for another food trip, would it be considered "irony" when I check out Paul's restaurant (I've never had his BBQ before)?

I think the phrase is "carrying coals to Newcastle."

No, wait. That phrase would describe Bobby Flay deciding to open up a grill shop in Kansas City. :hmmm:

Irony is a pretty good fit for the situation you describe.

BTW, Gates does serve chicken, but you know what they DON'T serve??  PORK!  They've got ham (yeah, pork, but just not the same, not even close), turkey, and some locations even have mutton, but of all things they don't serve sliced or pulled pork butt.  That's part of the reason I rarely eat there.  Besides it being my favorite BBQ menu item, it has always stricken me as bizarre that they don't serve it.

I always ordered ribs or brisket when I went to Gates', so I guess I didn't notice that other stuff.

Aside: Score one small victory for us natives here where the people have no Barbecue. Through an exchange in the eG Pennsylvania forum, we managed through the good efforts of one of our fellow Philly eGulleteers to convince the owners of a new 'cue joint in Center City (right behind the Academy of Music) to offer plain ol' squishy white bread with their platters. They had been serving pita!

Funny - The lack of white bread is the same comment I had on the Dino thread. It's so easy to have it, and one of those over sites that you just have to wonder about. That of course comes from a KC/Texas mindset on how BBQ brisket should be eaten. It would be the same thing if you couldn't get your pulled (chopped) pork on a burger bun with slaw. On the other hand, I'm all for not trying to be all things to all people, and if you want to specialize in one region's food that's great, or if you want to have your own regional style or hybrid I think that would be even better. I like the idea that in addition to traditional BBQ fare (brisket/Pork/chicken) the guys at RUB are going to have items that can be identified with NYC i.e. pastrami and an Asian duck (dare we wish for a cold smoked salmon). If these items are half as good as the brisket they cooked last summer, the fans of BBQ may need to add NYC to the regional BBQ map.

The Post story doesn't seem to mention brisket as one of the items on offer; I assume that's an oversight?

It HAS to be. That's K.C. barbecue more than chicken & ribs, or even pulled pork (which is still big, mind you--Missouri is a HUGE pig-raising state).

Chicken?

I'm sure that many Kansas City barbeque places sell some, and it's been a long, long time since I last set foot in Gates' or anyplace remotely like it, but I don't ever recall seeing an actual patron of a good KC 'cue joint walk away from the order counter with any.

Ribs, OTOH, are another story. Sure, they're not as closely identified with Kansas City as burnt ends (especially) or brisket are, but they can be found at every respectable 'cue purveyor in the area. They're also something every expat Kansas Citian I've run across knows how to make.

Those of you who have never had burnt ends, you're in for a real treat. Glad to see that New York City is finally getting a really good 'cue joint. The lack of one was a serious deficiency for a place that prides itself as a culinary capital. :biggrin:

Hey, I wasn't suggesting Chicken is in any way associated with KC BBQ. Quite the opposite, in fact. Actually, I've seen Turkey more often--at least Gates BBQ features it.

Ribs, I think, are at the very least a very integral thing to Missouri in general. I mean people talk about BOTH St. Louis and Kansas City trimming, right? What I don't recall often seeing is that "Chicken & Ribs" combo which seems so ubiquous in many less BBQey parts of the country.

Taking this back to Dinosaur BBQ, one of my big objections was the total absense of Burnt Ends. If RUB has Burnt Ends... that alone will give them a leg up.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Hey, I wasn't suggesting Chicken is in any way associated with KC BBQ.  Quite the opposite, in fact.  Actually, I've seen Turkey more often--at least Gates BBQ features it. 

Ribs, I think, are at the very least a very integral thing to Missouri in general.  I mean people talk about BOTH St. Louis and Kansas City trimming, right?  What I don't recall often seeing is that "Chicken & Ribs" combo which seems so ubiquous in many less BBQey parts of the country.

Remind me to watch out for such places should I ever run across them.

BTW, I have in the past and no doubt will again serve chicken cooked on a charcoal grill with the lid closed, slathered in barbecue sauce. This, I believe, is what folks call "barbecue chicken." It really isn't--chicken doesn't take to slow cooking using dry heat. It seems to me that, thanks to the size of the bird, you could do this with turkey.

Taking this back to Dinosaur BBQ, one of my big objections was the total absense of Burnt Ends.  If RUB has Burnt Ends... that alone will give them a leg up.

Yes, but make sure the place serves squishy white bread with its ribs and brisket.

Given that the owner is from KC, this shouldn't be a problem.

I've been reading all theses posts about bbq and i just have to say wow!! There is probably more interest in this type of food then any other here....Anyway i'm starting to think there is some sort of BBQ Conspiracy going on here. Why are people so against bbq in NYC?

At the same time i think it will be hard for Mr Sietsema to deny Paul Kirks BBQ prowess

• 4 weeks later...
I've been reading all theses posts about bbq and i just have to say wow!! There is probably more interest in this type of food then any other here....Anyway i'm starting to think there is some sort of BBQ Conspiracy going on here. Why are people so against bbq in NYC?

At the same time i think it will be hard for Mr Sietsema to deny Paul Kirks BBQ prowess

Come on, no more cheap shots at Sietsema. And if anyone's going to take shots, he should be careful to get his facts straight. Sietsema never made any predictions about New York barbecue; Kim Severson did. Paul Kirk's restaurant will have to succeed on its own merits, not on its pitmaster's rep.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

• 4 weeks later...
chicken doesn't take to slow cooking using dry heat.

If you brine it the whole equation changes. "Slow" is relative but last summer I was cooking brined split chickens on the grill at a relatively low heat and they turned out remarkably well.

• 3 weeks later...

Would anyone happen to have a number for the restaurant R.U.B. or for Paul Kirk? I've been trying to contact him about a story and the number here on his Web site won't take voice mail. I've tried faxing and e-mailing, too, to no avail. There's no listing for R.U.B. and I can't even find anything through a reverse address search!

Thanks for any help.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

I ate at Rickshaw Dumpling yesterday. On my way down 23rd st i came across a truck unloading some massive bbq pits. They told me that Rub BBQ will open on april 1 and thats no april fools. I can't wait!!

Where is this place on 23rd? My curiosity's piqued!

I ate at Rickshaw Dumpling yesterday. On my way down 23rd st i came across a truck unloading some massive bbq pits. They told me that Rub BBQ will open on april 1 and thats no april fools. I can't wait!!

Where is this place on 23rd? My curiosity's piqued!

Between 7th and 8th on the south side of the street. I think I'm going to walk by and see what's going on.

walked by yesterday, there is a sign in the window I CANT WAIT!!!!!!! bone lick park is a miserable excuse for bbq. maybe it will get better over time, but for now sauce is too sweet, sides badly executed, service shoddy etc. skip it.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Walked by RUB today and peeked inside. Must have had 20 guys banging away, with Paul Kirk supervising. I had met him at the Big Apple Block Party and since then have become a big fan of him and his books. space looked well on its way to being built-out. Said hello and found out that they should be open in April. Didn't ask for a tour because they seemed pretty busy. From what I could tell, the space seemed pretty straight forward, with nothing indicating that they were going for any kind of honky-tonk theme. Told Paul that it had been too long a wait to have his BBQ since the Block Party, and he said the wait would be worth it.

Liz are you stil trying to get in touch with Paul? If so I think I can get hold of him.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Great. Just so you all know, I've been in touch with Paul's business partner and we're looking at ways to get Paul in here to answer some questions. I'll keep you posted.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 2 weeks later...
Walked by RUB this morning and was told they will be open for business April 1st.  I know where I'm going for lunch.  They had one of the smokers fired-up, and did it smell good.

Any idea what the hours are? I'm just down the street where I work, and I'd definitely like to be one of the first in there to beat the crowd. :)