• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spelt flour and other grains

I'm baking with spelt and find it's expensive compared to wheat. I prefer to find the whole grain and grind it myself if possible.

But I want it to be fresh and not so costly and I don't like ordering thru the computer.

I bought organic spelt flour prepackaged from Choices and also from the bulk bin at Capers. Surely there must be some places in the lower mainland that supplies what I need without having to go to these store$$$$.

I plan to experiment with other grains (soy flour, rice flour, buckwheat, etc.) and would certainly appreciate what you eGulleteers could suggest as far as purchasing goes.

I also bake with spelt, but I can't say I grind my own :blink: I always use Hockley Valley's spelt flour, both whole wheat and regular.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Walk up and down Broadway, MacDonald area, there are a few stores that have bulk, also Commercial Street, try some of the bakeries and buy in bulk, 50 lbs, find a few friends who can share the cost.

These products are all very expensive, they are not produced in mass quantities, so the expense is there, when bought in larger quantities, the savings can come through, or otherwise you pay through the nose.

stovetop

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

• 2 months later...

Spelt is expensive. Period. At wholesale, I pay around $56 for 20 kg of either Nunweiler's and/or Anita's organic spelt. That's compared to (a wholesale price of) about $25 for 20 kg of organic unbleached or whole wheat and $12 for 20 kg of non-organic unbleached or wholewheat. That said, have you tried a bulk place such as Famous Foods or Galloway's? Or you could try to find a wholesaler or restaurant supply place that will sell cash & carry to a non-commercial customer. You could also check out Anita's Organic Flour and Milling web site — the company is out in Chilliwack — they do delivery or you can pick it up there. Anita's has a wide variety of flours and grains.

Edited by Just loafing (log)

There is a store right across the street from the Safeway at Broadway and Macdonald - it's called Dan-D-Pack or something (used to be On Broadway Produce) - they have bulk everything although I don't know how comparable their pricing is to what you have been paying.

Carla