• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC tap water no longer Kosher?

Andrea, the thing I find odd about all this is that it has never been necessary to be rich to be an Orthodox Jew (as witness the many really poor Jews who used to live throughout Eastern and Central Europe and the Muslim world for centuries), and I say that in spite of the fact that one certainly pays a premium for kosher meats.

I hate to say this, but it's very,very important to be well-off if you're orthodox. Do you have any idea what Yeshiva tuition costs?

If it truly is suddenly necessary to filter water with ~$1000 contraptions to remove things that no-one had ever seen with the naked eye, what's next?

Cakewalk already clarified this, but the filter issue only applies to people who's water supply is NYC. If you live in Nassau, Bergen, or Westchester counties there is no reason for concern. Additionally, you don't have to buy a $1,000 filtration system. You can get one that costs $25 and attaches to your faucet.

My personal feeling about this whole thing is that it's rediculous. And most of our friends feel similarly. However, I entertain a wide range of people and I want everyone to feel comfortable eating in my home.

As for what's next, that discussion isn't for eG.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I hate to say this, but it's very,very important to be well-off if you're orthodox.  Do you have any idea what Yeshiva tuition costs?

Not exactly, but private school is virtually always expensive. I imagine that some scholarships are available, though.

you don't have to buy a $1,000 filtration system.  You can get one that costs $25 and attaches to your faucet.

I didn't realize that you could get a suitable filter for $25. It seems like the press coverage I've seen has been poor.

My personal feeling about this whole thing is that it's rediculous.  And most of our friends feel similarly.  However, I entertain a wide range of people and I want everyone to feel comfortable eating in my home.

As for what's next, that discussion isn't for eG.

You're right; this is not eJewishLaw.

It makes perfect sense that you'd want to do what's necessary to ensure that all your guests will be confident in the kashrut of your food, drink, and cutlery.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"