• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Friday 3/1. Are you.....

Rosie

going out this weekend?  Where? Be sure to give us a report on Mon. Tomorrow we are going to a World Trade Center fundraiser at Il Mondo Vecchio and Sunday we are going to a wine dinner at Berta's Chateau in Wanaque.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I was thinking of going to Cubby's Q in Hackensack (249 South River St, 201-488-9389) to celebrate National Pig Day. In fact, I just called there and spoke to the manager to tell him it was NPD. Can you imagine? They didn't know! :wink:

Anyone want to join us there? Figure on 7:30-8 PM, send me an rperlow@hotmail.com email to let me know if you're coming. Rachel :smile:

i ended up at the ubiquitous China 46 again last night.  i only mention this because:

1) the owner, cecil, remembers my name as well as mrs. tommy's name, who wasn't even there (i've only eaten here 4 times)

2) we started with duch tongue.  the interesting thing about duck tongue is:

a) it's a tongue

b) it has a bone running down the middle

c) it doesn't taste like chicken

as usual, cecil brought out a complimentary extra dish.  the last time is was fish maw, this time it was that rice "pasta" that a few of us egulleteers had when we met there if i recall.  

the place rules.  but don't tell anyone.  our little secret.

:wink:

Boy tommy, you are getting so adventurous! Just a few months ago you didn't even want to go into a Chinese or Thai restaurant. Now you're a regular and eating duck tongue! The last time Kinara was mentioned you didn't sound ready for Indian, now you definitely do!

Boy tommy, you are getting so adventurous! Just a few months ago you didn't even want to go into a Chinese or Thai restaurant. Now you're a regular and eating duck tongue! The last time Kinara was mentioned you didn't sound ready for Indian, now you definitely do!

just to set the record straight ms. perlow, i've been eating thai and indian since your were in diapers.  duck tongue, however, is relatively new for me.

Rachel... let tommy be.  He actually remembers the 1960's first-hand. :wow:

As for his reaction to Indian food, I saw it during the NY eGullet Bar Crawl.  It wasn't pretty.  Kinara is fairly different for Indian, but still...

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Well I certainly haven't been eating Indian food since I was in diapers! I think the first time was probably in high school or college. Also, that's where my mom & I would go when it was a girls night because my dad doesn't like it.

So, no one's up for BBQ tonight?

Saturday night, we went to Topps Restaurant in Red Bank.

http://www.toppsrestaurant.com/

I have to work in Red Bank on occasion, and since it is a long drive, we usually make dinner first.  Unfortunately, since I DO have to work in the evening, we can't lounge over dinner.  So far, we have tried Basil T's, Carlos O Connor's, and the Dublin House in addition to Topps for Red Bank dinners.  If anyone has other suggestions for Red Bank dining, they would be welcome.

Anyway, Topps Restaurant, a small BYO, specializes in German style, with some seafood as well.  I had the pork loin stuffed with apple sausage while my wife had the venison (which, by the way, we just finished the leftovers an hour ago!).  We started with the potato pancake platter, and they include house salad - family style, and with your entree you get a family style plate of sides that includes German potato salad, red cabbage, and spaetzle.  We ended with a lingonberry crepe for dessert.  I suppose our overall feeling is that the food is good, but not worth a special and long trip.  Also, we made a rez for 5pm, and my wife overheard the wait staff saying they could probably get us out and turn the table.  Of course, she notices everything while I am blissfully ignorant!  I'd be interested in anyone else's comments on Topps.

Never been to Topps. Years ago we went to Chiafullo's on N. Bridge Ave. and it was fine. I think =Mark likes Juanita's on Monmouth St. There is also a place called Murphy's which I have heard about but never been. I did like Two If By Sea.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE