• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Notch Inn

Rosie

Rosie, unless you have completely fooled us all about who you are, I would avoid it. Heck, don't even drive in the right lane while passing it...

The Great Notch Inn does have some relevance to the food world. It was featured in a "Mrs. T's Peirogies" commercial...

So Rosie, forget the GNI, hop onto Valley road and head into Montclair for a Hangar steak at Epernay or some Polenta Fries at Fascino!

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Having driven past the GNI for years, I don't think I've ever seen anything but motorcycles parked in their lot, so I'd have to guess is that it's a total biker bar. NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT... :wacko: But unless you're willing to put on your leather chaps and hop on the back of Lowell's bike, I'd be shocked to learn that it's a Rosie kind of place!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I had been dying to go here for years and even though I rode a bike in my late teens and early 20's for a year or so I had never been in here. Finally, Jan 03, after my Giants beat The Eagles and with a good amount of booze in my system I ventured in with my Giants jersey but no bike. No food and I was so drunk I believe they found me amusing. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'd go back.

Having driven past the GNI for years, I don't think I've ever seen anything but motorcycles parked in their lot, so I'd have to guess is that it's a total biker bar.  NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT...   :wacko:   But unless you're willing to put on your leather chaps and hop on the back of Lowell's bike, I'd be shocked to learn that it's a Rosie kind of place!

it's not strictly a biker bar. and the bikers who are there are the most pleasant people you'll ever meet. i would definitely say that rosie and lowell, if in a mellow mindset (that is, you have to be pretty chill to even bother going here), would be very well-received, and probably the stars of the night. they have live music (rock, blues) at least once a week. in the summer, there's nothing better than hanging out on the front porch with a cold one talking to random people while taking in the music blaring from the open windows. the owner is usually bartending, and it's all good here. i'm a big dorky "yuppie", by some standards, and i've never been made to feel anything but comfortable here. having a 4x4 helps the parking, as you have to park up on the grass/mulch when it gets crowded.

i'm thinking pnaps might have a word or two to share.

that said, all of you should stay away, as the place is too small as it is. :biggrin:

Edited by tommy (log)

Everything Tommy says is true... I was introduced to the Notch back in '95 when I was booking music and events for the local Borders and someone said I needed to get over there to hear John Monnecka, who was sort of the "house band" at the time. (One night he'd be there with his band, one night it was just John doing singer/songwriter duty with his guitar, and the rest of the time it was visiting blues bands, mostly.)

Heck, I even hit the stage myself a few times playing bass with my singer/guitarist friend Dave--the one night I remember particularly well, the place was jam-packed with the usual odd mix of locals and things progressed into a nice little ska-fest--fun for me since it wasn't the sort of music I usually played.

Anyway, the owners are lovely people, the atmosphere is much more laid back vs. scary biker; it's a pretty laissez-faire kind of place. And sitting inside during a heavy winter snowstorm is just as pleasant as being out on the porch with a cold one in summer... I miss the place and am sorry I didn't have time to take my husband there when we last visited NJ. Next time...

Fitz

Edited by fitz (log)

An odd alien wench

plus, remember, half the bikers these days are investment bankers by day, bikers on weekends. I think I have more white collar frineds that bought themselves mid life Harleys than friends that went through mid life divorces..though it's close :laugh:

Having driven past the GNI for years, I don't think I've ever seen anything but motorcycles parked in their lot, so I'd have to guess is that it's a total biker bar. NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT... :wacko: But unless you're willing to put on your leather chaps and hop on the back of Lowell's bike, I'd be shocked to learn that it's a Rosie kind of place!

You would be surprised at some of the places I've been to. :biggrin:

Actually was at a bikers bar in California and lived to write about it. The six feet tall women were scarier then the men!! There is a very good bikers bar in Blairstown called the Red Wolf Inn.

If I went to Great Notch what would be the best thing to order?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

...the bikers who are there are the most pleasant people you'll ever meet.

That's something I agree with based on my experience--don't want y'all to think otherwise. And who knew they had good bands to boot?!? It sounds to me like Tommy needs to lead an outing to the GNI...then again, the place might never be the same! :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."