• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green & Black's Cherry flavor chocolate

Stigand

I recently discovered what seems to be a new flavour from Green & Black's (the Fairtrade, organic chocolate company whose wares seem recently to have become totally ubiquitous, at least in London).

It's Cherry: basically it's dark chocolate with dried cherries in it. I suppose it's a posh Fruit & Nut (without the nuts). I bought it for the first time expecting it to be pretty awful, but it's absolutely incredible: the balance between the two ingredients works perferctly, and I say this as someone who doesn't generally like orange chocolate, mint chocolate and other such gross chocolate indecency.

But then there was an added bonus. My first bar had a tiny bit of cherry stone in it (they do mention on the package that this is possible). You'd think this would be a bad thing (and admittedly it was a bit crunchy) but it tasted fantastic: it had that kind of Amaretto fruit-stone fragrance that totally matched the bitterness of the chocolate. Which got me thinking - could you grind up cherry stones and mix them with chocolate? Are they safe to eat in quantity? Hmm...

Someone brought a Green and Blacks fruit and nut bar around the other day - alas I couldn't do any scientific experiments due to overly harsh diet, but it stared at me tauntingly.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

it's absolutely incredible

sorry, Stigand, I don't agree! the contrast between the sharpness of the cherries and the mellifluous chocolate is too strident for me. their Maya Gold, on the other hand...

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

it's absolutely incredible

sorry, Stigand, I don't agree! the contrast between the sharpness of the cherries and the mellifluous chocolate is too strident for me. their Maya Gold, on the other hand...

Oh no - I'm thrown into confusion: looks like I'll have to try the Cherry alongside the Maya Gold. Aw shucks...

Stigand, I don't think the occasional cherry stone would hurt you, but I wouldn't recommend large quantities. Cherry stones, like peach and apricot stones, contain amygdalin, a cyanide and sugar compound that degrades into hydrogen cyanide when metabolized. You would have to eat quite a bit to be dangerous, but sweet almonds and dried cherries might be a safer bet.

Victoria Raschke, aka ms. victoria

Eat Your Heart Out: food memories, recipes, rants and reviews

the blumental piece in the guardian on saturday was about how crushed peach stones are used in amaretti to make them taste more of almonds. i forget the name of the chemical, but he said that if you want to add a strong almond flavour to something, rather than using a synthesised almond flavouring you could soak some peach pits in fruit juice to get the flavour.

only he said it better than i did.

i think the green and black chocolate can taste a bit fatty at times but i do like a small amount of it from time to time.

the cheery sounds very similar to a bar from roccoco which is very delicious.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

"Chocolate bars that could help men and women orgasm are on the way."

Yes - but will they be fair trade!

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

One thing to note about Green & Black is that their only Fair Trade chocolate is their Maya Gold.

I found the Cherry to be good in small doses and it only comes in 100g bars. Far too strident (I think someone said) for that amount.

I buy their stuff but I wish they did a more silky or finer chocolate, something you could expect from Vahlrona or Godiva or Callebaut. But i can only get them when I am on the road, not sold around where I live.