• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Hands-On" Dinner Party Revisited

Varmint

damn that looks good. all of it - but i feel like i can taste the lump crab...i miss the sweetness of lump out here in the PNW. dungeness is good, but it's no lump. for me, it was maryland blue crab.... :wub: . did you fry them in clarified butter? the crust is so golden...

i poked around recipe gullet for varmint's famous okra croutons and those luscious FGT...would you mind posting? :smile:

thanks!

reese

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

No recipes for those.

Wash okra/tomatoes. Slice okra/tomatoes. Soak okra/tomatoes in buttermilk. Dredge in seasoned cornmeal (with a bit of semolina for extra crunch). Fry in vegetable oil. Eat. That's as simple as it gets -- just season your cornmeal to your taste with whatever you have on hand. I made the okra a bit spicy and a touch saltier than usual, simply because I wanted them to have a bit of a "crouton-like" flavor pack.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

No recipes for those.

Wash okra/tomatoes. Slice okra/tomatoes. Soak okra/tomatoes in buttermilk. Dredge in seasoned cornmeal (with a bit of semolina for extra crunch). Fry in vegetable oil. Eat. That's as simple as it gets -- just season your cornmeal to your taste with whatever you have on hand. I made the okra a bit spicy and a touch saltier than usual, simply because I wanted them to have a bit of a "crouton-like" flavor pack.

but very helpful nonetheless. i'd never have known about buttermilk.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

The boudin looks particularly appealing to me. :wub:

God, there couldn't possibly be a bigger compliment coming from a former vegetarian! (although Giacammo's is always better, right? :smile:)

And yes, I did have a lot of visitors today, asking me what I'm going to do next year. Please start submitting your suggestions now. :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Hey, the steak looked good too! :wink:

The problem with these sorts of things is you always have to try and top them the next year. I suggest next year you try to work multiple dessert courses into the menu for extra impact--and we can all use the skill development, right? I love doing pre-desserts and then offering at least chocolates and nuts after a long, intricate meal--it takes things over the top. Not that there's anything wrong with your peachy dessert, of course. I almost licked my screen, and I'm allergic to peaches!