• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another Los Angeles Fixture goes bye bye

dfunghi

Leo's will be closing on May 15th after 40 years of fine BBQ. I luckilly had the urge for ribs today and was shocked when I saw there sign. So I will go once more this week and say alas to great tender ribs / smokey chicken and vinegary spicy sauce and great family service. Their Sweet Potato Pie is legendary ( I dont eat the stuff) . I have been partial to Leo's for 10 years or so now. Phillips is a my second favorite and Woodys a distant third. I hear the Valley has some decent bbq. Dont know any though.

D

Phillips has bought the location and will open yet one more Phillips BBQ.

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

Thanks to the tip from dfunghi, some friends and I were able to make a pilgrimage to Leo's Bar-B-Cue before it closes tomorrow, Saturday, May 15th, 2004. It's worth doing if you can.

It's a take out only place, so unless you care to eat stand and eat along the counter outside next to the parking lot, you'll have to take it somewhere else to eat it.

sign.jpg

A message thanking the community.

thankyou.jpg

For 7 people: 3 full slabs of pork spareribs, 1 slab (7 bones) of beef ribs, rib tips, a whole chicken, sliced beef, and beef links. Plus, beans, cole slaw, collard greens, potato salad, cornbread, a whole loaf plus 4 slices of white bread and mild, medium and hot sauce. Don't worry, we had enough food because we also got peach cobbler and mini sweet potato pies. [grin]

largetray.jpg

On the plate:

plate.jpg

Of course, we intentionally ordered a lot so we could all have some for today. It's good 'que, and I regretfully wish I had been going there all these years. I forgot to ask while I was there, but it seems to be Texas style BBQ with pork ribs added onto the offerings. The meat could be seasoned a bit more, but it's the real deal, honest, slow and low, pit-smoked meat, which leaves the meat with some toothsomeness. I'll take a real flavor and little chewing any day over that pre-cooked, fall-off-the-bone faux-que.

The sauces are well-spiced and have a nice balance of vinegar and a little sweetness. I also like that heat of the hot version comes on slowly, yet has good chile flavor, rather than being instant pain without gain.

Apparently, it's the sad but common demise for a BBQ joint, the namesake passed on a few years ago, and though they've kept on for a while, no one in the family wants to continue the tradition.

What a shame it is to see Leo's close, because it really is good.

~Tad