• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bay Area Visit

mascarpone

I returned to Fruitvale the next day and had lunch at La Huache Azteca. I had their signature dish Hurache Azteca, a paper thin slice of beef atop green lettuce, thinly sliced spicey green pepper, in a spicy green sauce on top of a freshly baked hurache (slightly more thin than a pita but wider than an tortilla)--very nice. I was the only gringo in the place. I will be back.

El Huarache Azteca is rapidly becoming my favorite place in the Fruitvale area.

But I don't recall green bell peppers on that dish? I'm pretty sure they were nopales (cactus). That's why they seemed flavoured in a different way. (I ordered that same dish the last two visits)

Not surprised you were the only gringo there -- I haven't seen other gringos on any previous visits. But then it's Fruitvale. Coworkers who I have attempted to entice into going there flee with cries of "aaah, crime!", even though I've walked around after dark with no problems. Dunno. Guess they're just saving the good food for me. ;-)

From what I hear, you should go there on weekends for the barbacoa and menudo. Hearsay, but it's way crowded on weekends.

Thanks, Merle. I will try it on weekends. Cactus, huh...interesting. I look forward to going back.

In terms of safety, I felt very comfortable there. There was a sense of community (El Barrio)in Fruitvale that I did not catch in other parts of the Bay Area. I wasn't nervous at all. If my girlfriend could have sayed in town a bit longer, I am sure she would have liked it also. Then again, I was only there during the daytime. It is an ethnic neighborhood, yet it does not seem run down or ghetto-like at all to me. In fact, there seems to be some development in terms of office buildings. I think Fruitvale is perfect just the way it is and any furthur development might not be a good thing as far as the neighborhood charm is concerned. I was very happy to be the only gringo at Sinaloa and Hurache Azteca. This is a sign that I am eating some really good, authentic (sorry for the "a" word) cuisine.

I was taken to a chinese restaurant called China House on 2507 South El Camino in San Mateo. Very nice Scallops with Bean Curd and Black Bean Sauce. The House Salted Chicken, like drunken chicken without the wine, was pleasant, and particularly good were the Salted Cabbage with Stewed Pork and the Pepper w/Salt Spare Ribs. This cuisine was from a specific region of China that I was not familiar with and can't remember at the moment. Very interesting dishes. Everyone there was Chinese.

The cuisine at China House is from a region near Canton called Haka. China House is therefore a Hakanese restaurant. :huh:

The cuisine at China House is from a region near Canton called Haka. China House is therefore a Hakanese restaurant. :huh:

Just to bash you again :laugh: there is no region called Haka, though a lot of Hakka people have settled up-coast from Guangdong. The reason I mention this, is that the very name "Hakka" means something like "guest people". They have always been know for being itinerant.

We are considering rethinking the the Route 1 and Yosemite visit and making this a food tour  :biggrin:

Oh marscapone, I see your smiley, but I hope you are still considering going to see Yosemite (says the native Californian)! It is truly magnificent and awe-inspiring. I still remember how moving it was to see El Capitan and Half Dome, and thinking that even Ansel Adams' pictures didn't do it justice. There is nothing like it here in the east (I'm assuming you are a native east-coaster). :smile:

I'll add my support to the voices that suggested the Fruitvale area of Oakland, too. Jade Villa in Oakland is good for dim sum, and I also like Tin's Tea House in Oakland. I have heard very good things about CIA-Greystone in the wine country, too. And finally, one of my favorite bakeries, Downtown Bakery and Creamery in Healdsburg is worth a visit.

Oh wait - brunch at Greens in SF is a great deal and you'll get some of the most delicious food in the City there. The view is lovely and the prices are good - I always try to go there for brunch when I visit.

Just to bash you again :laugh: there is no region called Haka, though a lot of Hakka people have settled up-coast from Guangdong. The reason I mention this, is that the very name "Hakka" means something like "guest people". They have always been know for being itinerant.

Ahhhsoooo :smile: Thanks for setting me straight.

Edited by mascarpone (log)