• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crazy 18th Street

morela

So, I see that Straits of Malaysia is returning to Wazuri space and that 88 is becoming Regency Thai.

Does anyone know about Regency Thai?

I wonder what happened to 88. I kinda didn't mind that place.

Straits of Malaysia! I loved that place and was really bummed when they closed. Thanks for the update.

I wonder why 88 failed. I "didn't mind" it either...thought it was rather pleasant actually, a welcome alternative to the Lauriol Plaza behemoth.

I wonder why 88 failed. I "didn't mind" it either...thought it was rather pleasant actually, a welcome alternative to the Lauriol Plaza behemoth.

I think you answered your own question (refer also to Wazuri - can Caravan Grill be far behind?)

I don't know the details, but I think Grille 88 was faced with the expensive option of replacing a major sewer line into the building and I think it was just too much expense to bear. At least that is what I heard or read somewhere.

Mendocino Grille and Wine Bar

Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar

Oh yes. I love it. They are very nice there too. MUCH better than Blue Diamond around the corner. You can watch them make the food at Eastern which is comforting. Don't be put off by the bulletproof glass, its a relic from the bygone days of U St.

Hmm. Very well, my next chinese take out order will be from Eastern carryout. You're right, Blue Diamond is utterly forgetable. As is North Sea, and that Peking Something that opened last year next to Staccato. Though I think I prefered the latter of the three.

I feel so disappointed that I have to order from Mr. Chen's when these three are so close to my apartment. And City Lights is a tad too expensive, even with their tasty sesame chicken.

Could Eastern Carryout be the light at the end of the tunnel? DCMark, what do you recommend on the menu? To test a chinese food place, I generally like to sample the sesame chicken, lo mein, chow mein, fried rice, and beef with either snow peas or broccoli.

-Todd

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I finally tried what will probably be the first of two experimental visits to Eastern Carryout.

Overall, I was not wowed, but it's not a bad place by any means. It's probably the cheapest Chinese place in the neighborhood, and they certainly give you more food per entree than any other establishment. Plus I got two free sodas with my order!

I decided to get the Kung Pao Chicken and Chicken Chow Mein dinner specials with an order of the combination Lo Mein. I thought this would feed me for maybe three days at best, but I'll be eatting for a week with all the food they gave me.

I was most impressed with the Lo Mein. If I want some quick Lo Mein from now on this is my place.

The Kung Pao was just OK. I think I've been spoiled by Mr. Chen's. No one can top their tasty goodness.

The Chow Mein was average, yet still pretty tasty. I'd get it again.

Also, the combos came with some fried rice, which was pretty forgettable.

Next time, I've got to try some beef with snow peas and the sesame chicken before I pass final judgment.

So basically, Mr. Chen's I think is still my number one spot, but if I'm craving chinese and want food quickly and in mass quantities and I'm pinching pennies at the time, it looks like Eastern Carryout will be my #1 backup.

I'll report back after my second visit.

I can't believe we are reviewing Eastern on Egullet! I love it.

Its not the best but certainly not bad at all. They are nice as hell there too when you get to know them. They often drive by as I am driving my motorcycle out of the alley and sometimes we chat about bikes. This year they gave me a 'Chinese Food Supply' calender for Chirstmas complete with pictures of Chinese hotties! Love the grape soda too.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as I type this, I'm enjoying my Shasta orange soda from Eastern Carryout. I guess they mean business when they say you have to spend $15 to get the two free sodas, because my total came to $14.86 and I only got the one.

For my return visit, I followed up with just the Sesame Chicken and Beef with Scallions.

The Sesame Chicken was a little disappointing (to me). Each piece contained hardly any chicken, and the meat that was there wasn't very good. However, the sauce and the chicken's crunchiness made it a reasonably nice treat.

The beef w/ scallions should have been called scallions with beef, because there wasn't much meat and it was in tiny pieces. The sauce was decent, though.

I'm still giving the top dish award to the Lo Mein. That's the only dish that I'd go back for. I've been trying to get away from Chinese food in the last few years, so it's hard to remember if it beats all the others I've tried in the city. I also see it's one of their lunch specials for $3.50. Maybe I'll take a sick day so I go over and get some.

How's the other food there? I notice they're practically giving away the Buffalo wings.

• 2 months later...

I was walking by the other night and saw that Regency Thai is open (in the old 88 space). Lots of outdoor patio tables. Wonder if the food is any good... or is it the Thai version of Lauriol?

Chris Sadler

Wonder if the food is any good... or is it the Thai version of Lauriol?

You mean quality food at reasonably prices?

I'm glad to see more Thai in the area, since I'd like some healthy competition for Thaiphoon. (And a closer place that can rival Thai Tanic's quality).

In other 18th street topics, has anyone ever been to the Mount Everest restaurant near 18th and S? (Or JoJo's around the corner at like 14th and U)?

I can get some cheap gift certificates through restaurant.com and since they're in my hood, I'd like to give them a try if they're any good.

Wonder if the food is any good... or is it the Thai version of Lauriol?

You mean quality food at reasonably prices?

I'm glad to see more Thai in the area, since I'd like some healthy competition for Thaiphoon. (And a closer place that can rival Thai Tanic's quality).

In other 18th street topics, has anyone ever been to the Mount Everest restaurant near 18th and S? (Or JoJo's around the corner at like 14th and U)?

I can get some cheap gift certificates through restaurant.com and since they're in my hood, I'd like to give them a try if they're any good.

I have been to both. Mt Everest is decent Indian. Not at the Heritage India level but very nice. I have not sampled the Nepalian foods beyond the dumplings which were a dissapointment.

I have limited experience at JoJo's but my memory of one meal was excellent but inconsistent. They were brand new so I think the kinks have been ironed out.