• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Embracing Culinary Clichés

So, Lisa, how would you explain the difference between a cliche, a fad, and a classic?

Oh, and BTW, all of the above assumes that the question is being raised purely in the gastronomic context, yes?

Yes.

I don't remember what a monte cristo is, but I haven't read the whole thread and someone might have already addressed that.

Michael aka "Pan"

OK, now you got me worried. Pan, too. Where exactly do you draw the line between Cliche and Classic?

And I was worried because he says he rarely cooks these days... :unsure:

Well, it's true. But what were you worried about?

Michael aka "Pan"

For all of you that are over garlic mashed potatoes (but they are SOOO good), try saffron mashed potatoes. Or horseradish mashed potatoes (but only with freshly grated). Weee-o, baby.

How about smoked gouda mashed potatoes? :cool:

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

Good one!

I have no comment on the pig digression, so I would like to post my disdained cliches as opposed to the "embracing" side...

What about ...

Roasted Red Peppers,

Raspberry Coulis,

Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette,

Garlic Mashed Potatoes (mentioned before, I think)

Jalapeno Cornbread,

Mint Jelly with Lamb,

Balsamic Vinaigrette,

Chicken Strips with Honey Mustard Sauce,

Honey Mustard Dressing,

Pecan, Potato, Almond, Pistachio or whatever-Crusted Anything

Cajun anything,

Blackened anything,

Red Pepper Coulis,

AND...

Sidenote:

I am beginning to realize that there are many many more, but I should stop.

Don't get me wrong - all of these things, I have eaten, cooked, probably enjoyed and even may have put on a menu at one time or another, but when you begin to see them in a TGI Friday's or some such chain... That is when I have to draw the CLICHE line...

AND... My absolute denigrated-can't stand to see on a menu anymore-would never offer to anyone paying money-will probably never eat again, except when our four year old will eat nothing else and doesn't finish his plate-CLICHE ---- COCONUT SHRIMP!

ARGH!!!

Thank you for your time...and thanks to all those great chain's that keep the ICH (ick) in CLICHE

D

P.S. - Here is my abbreviated list of "soon-to-be" CLICHES...

Cod with miso (I heard it was on a Cheesecake Factory menu, but with salmon),

Cedar planking anything,

Herb oils (I still love to use them though),

Powders (Never got into this one),

Any dish at a Bobby Flay restaurant,

Tequila Lime Chicken (maybe should be in list above)

And last but not least -

Foams (Maybe passe will be a more appropriate word)

Edited by dccd (log)

Difference between a classic and a cliche? Not much in the dish, everything in the cooking. To stay strictly on topic, mango salsa when properly made and served with something appropriate (like salmon) it's a classic. When poorly made and served with something stooopid its a cliche. If enough places do a classic badly enough then everybody gets bored or annoyed with it, stops buying it and then its a fad which has passed. Sometimes a cliche gets revived, maybe with a new twist, and we get to enjoy again what made it so popular in the first place.

good cliches:

tuna sashimi, seared tuna, tuna carpaccio.

I kind of half agree with this.

I love raw tuna. Sashimi, tartare and tatami - all great.

What I don't like is the way they seem to have made restaurants think that all tuna has to be cooked bleu.

A thin steak of fatty tuna, cooked quickly in olive oil with salt and a little garlic, until it's no longer red (but not desiccated either - we all agree that shoe-leather is bad) is a thing of joy. The fat - or so it seems - melts, and the tuna takes on a meaty flavour that I don't get from most sashimi, delightful though it is.

I find it really hard to get non-bleu tuna now unless I cook it myself: I'll either be served a thick piece of what is basically tatami, seared on the outside and cold inside, or it'll be assumed that I'm a total barbarian and I'll get the aforementioned shoe-leather. :sad:

I'll either be served a thick piece of what is basically tatami

Following the subject of wonderful typos being discussed earlier, Stigand, I guess you meant to type "Tataki".

Tatami is the straw matting floor covering used in Japanese buildings.

:smile:

Following the subject of wonderful typos being discussed earlier, Stigand, I guess you meant to type "Tataki".

D'oh :smile:

I suppose tatami would be seriously overcooked tuna...

D'oh :smile:

I suppose tatami would be seriously overcooked tuna...

And who wants a floor mat that stinks of fish...