• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caffeine Free Dr Pepper

trinity63

I want some! I've heard rumors of its existence but I haven't seen it on store shelves. Does anyone know if it is in general distribution or just available in trial markets?

It's been available for quite some time here in the Northeastern US. Apart from Fresca and perhaps a few of the diet root beers (A&W in particular), Diet DR. Pepper is one of the very few diet sodas that I find very tolerable. There's something about the mix of flavors that seems to neutralize the aftertaste so typical of artificial sweeteners.

They were stocking it for awhile on one of the airlines I used to fly on (either American or Continental, can't recall which). I was bummed when they dropped it from their drink menu.

phaelon56, I don't think they are talking about normal Diet Dr. Pepper--which has been available since 1991. I think this is a reference to a new Caffeine-free line (the topic name should probably be changed to reflect this--EDIT: okay, that's been done).

Here's a picture of "Diet Caffeine Free Dr Pepper".

Here's a picture of the non-diet "Caffeine Free Dr Pepper".

One thing I notice is that they are using the same "gold paint" scheme used by Coca-Cola to indicate Caffeine-free-ness. It's odd they'd copy that.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 8 months later...