• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coming home

Florida Jim

Coming back to the mountains after a very cold and harsh winter makes for some surprises. For instance, when we turned the water on, it rained in our kitchen. Frozen pipes require immediate repair.

But while the plumbers were taking care of last year’s mistakes, we were staying at Diane’s folks house (just down he road) while they are still in FL.

And, of course, there is no time like the present to celebrate the day.

With seafood gratin:

2000 Jermann, “Vintage Tunina:”:

A mix of sauvignon blanc, chardonnay, tocai friulano, picolit, and late harvest fruit of the same varieties; fermented in stainless steel; it shows the acid and lift of the sauvignon and the flesh of the chardonnay without tending toward either variety. An interesting, bright wine, that is really non-descript at this time. Given a couple of years, who knows.

Pleasant as aperitif and with the dish.

2002 Anselmi, Capitel Foscarino:

Lovely aromatics and a crisp yet fleshy palate require the taster to revisit this wine. Excellent with the dish and delightful with the salad.

With fresh greens salad with sun-dried tomatoes and feta:

The above wines and,

2002 Bruno Giacosa, Roero Arneis:

Bright and refreshing on both the nose and palate with rain water and lime skin smells and flavors. Excellent with the salad and better with:

Sautéed flounder with fresh corn relish and potato gnocchi:

All of the 3 above wines and;

1998 Hamacher, Pinot Noir:

Clean, crisp aromatics and an acid driven, fruit sweet palate that is resonant but short. Still a bit closed, IMO.

One of our guests, who is much more experienced than I, called this simple and low acid but pretty tannic. That is 180 degrees from my call, which is plenty of acid, low tannin and still closed.

An interesting difference of opinion but an engaging wine.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

...it rained in our kitchen.

Bright and refreshing on both the nose and palate with rain water and lime skin smells and flavors.

Jim, are you sure your pipes didn't rain into your wineglasses?

Respectfully submitted with winking emoticon and a pat on the back.

(Poetry as usual.)

How much time did you give the Jermann? Their ribolla needs a good half-day to get going, and your description sounds much like the ribolla without enough air time. The sauvignon and chardonnay needed much less time.

--- Lee

Seattle

I agree with LOS. The Jermann Tunina and Capo Martino are quite tight when young and really don't start to show their best until after their 5th birthday. I just tasted through their 2002 line-up and, as LOS noted, the chardonnay, sauvignon blanc and pinot grigio are quite forward and delicious already, while the Tunina, Capo Martino and Vinnae are very firm at the moment. I think the best point for drinking Tunina is at about 6 to 8 years old depending on the vintage. I have had bottles over ten years old that were quite exceptional.

I agree with LOS. The Jermann Tunina and Capo Martino are quite tight when young and really don't start to show their best until after their 5th birthday. I just tasted through their 2002 line-up and, as LOS noted, the chardonnay, sauvignon blanc and pinot grigio are quite forward and delicious already, while the Tunina, Capo Martino and Vinnae are very firm at the moment. I think the best point for drinking Tunina is at about 6 to 8 years old depending on the vintage. I have had bottles over ten years old that were quite exceptional.

Craig,

This was the first time I have tasted this wine and had nothing to compare it to, hence my comment about "a couple of years."

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Bright and refreshing on both the nose and palate with rain water and lime skin smells and flavors. Excellent with the salad and better with:

Sautéed flounder with fresh corn relish and potato gnocchi:

Jim,

this is becoming my big wine tip for the summer: fresh, floral, good weight and a bright deceptive acidity that matches food surprisingly well.

glad you like it too ! :biggrin:

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

Craig,

This was the first time I have tasted this wine and had nothing to compare it to, hence my comment about "a couple of years."

Best, Jim

As always the Florida Jim palate was right on the money.

...by the way - how did Tunina sneak past your inquiring taste buds all these years. The wine world is just too big and there is not enough time.