• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Patricia Wells reviews La Cagouille

menton1

In her newspaper column today, Patricia Wells has given us a stunning review of a fabulous seafood restaurant in the 14th, La Cagouille. My mouth was watering incessantly at her descriptions of baby scallops, (pétoncles), steamed baby clams, grilled sea bass (bar) skate (raie) with a sauce gribiche, and some great salads for appetizers. I don't recall this place ever being mentioned here, has any Eg-er been there?

La Cagouille

10, place Constantin Bragusi

Paris 14.

Here's the review. Most of the time, I find Patricia Wells altogether too easy to please. The list of all her all-time absolute favourites seems to change every week - and get longer and longer.

My cynical bet is she'll only go back to La Cagouille in 2010 and then write another column about how she hasn't been for 6 years and what a mistake it was because the food is so tremendous. ;)

Yes I have been many times and, for once, did the same thing Wells did; I stopped going about six years ago when the prices got "too steep, the decor got me down," etc. One of its features was and is that it was open for Sunday lunch, but with the appearance of the Bistrot du Dome, which Wells wrote up in the IHT in the summer of 1991, and then the Bistrot Cote Mer and Vin et Maree, now practically a chain, etc. there were less expensive Sunday seafood lunch opportunities. I still remember, though, the "moules that burn your fingers."

Miguel - you're spot on; she'll be back in 2010.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris