• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LBI FINE DINING

thecips

WILL BE VACATIONING IN LBI IN JUNE.WOULD LIKE SOME NICE PLACES TO EAT. SUGGESTIONS ANYONE? LIKE MORE OF A QUIET PLACE AND ITALIAN. ALSO  BREAKFAST IDEAS.

For breakfast on LBI I'd always suggest Kubel's on Bayview Avenue in Barnegat Light, Uncle Will's Pancake House in Beach Haven, or Mustache Bill's Diner also in Barnegat Light. Good eggs +meat of choice +carbs of choice filling eating. Nothing too fancy, but perfectly serviceable for breakfast.

It's been awhile since I've been out to a fancy dinner on LBI since my friends and I are usually of the "Fire up the grill" types. I think the Owl Tree is no more. I've read good things about Yellowfin, although have also heard it's pricey. Plantation also looks quite nice, but I have no personal experience. Good seafood is easy to find and Boulevard Clams or Harvey Cedar's Shellfish Co. are both good.

I had a great dinner at a place toward the southern end of the island. Outdoor deck, great food, and a nice atmosphere but I'm blanking on the name. I'll try find out and post back when I do.

Have fun! I love LBI - it's very relaxing (at least at the north end!) and the beaches are really nice.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Can't help you with Italian places as we cook at the house when on vacation but I agree with Katie on Uncle Will's for breakfast.

Chicken & The Egg for breakfast and wings is good,

Engleside Inn has by far the best sushi.

Yellow Fin and Blue in Surf City are nice for New American Fare.

Green Gables in Beach Haven also very nice.

There is a newer restaurant called Sweet Vidalia that I have heard nice things about.

The last time I went for Italian in LBI, I went to Raimondo's.

• 2 weeks later...

The best restaurant overall on LBI happens to be Italian. It is La Spiaggia on the causeway in Ship Bottom. Wonderful and creative food. Not cheap but its BYOB so that helps and its clearly worth the price. Good service, valet parking, you need reservations on the weekends in the summer. They close in the winter

• 1 month later...
Yellow Fin and Blue in Surf City are nice for New American Fare.

Green Gables in Beach Haven also very nice.

There is a newer restaurant called Sweet Vidalia that I have heard nice things about.

The last time I went for Italian in LBI, I went to Raimondo's.

Just to update this thread. I had dinner with a large group of friends at Sweet Vidalia in Beach Haven this past Saturday evening. It was very nice, the service was excellent and the ambiance was pleasant as well. We called and made a reservation for 10 people at 9:00 PM. Table was set and waiting for us when we arrived. The friends we thought were stopping to pick up the wine hadn't, so we ordered and then I walked across Bay Avenue to Murphy's to select some wines with a co-conspirator. The staff was kind enough to hold my and my wine buying companion's soups hot in the kitchen until we arrived back from the wine errand. We both tried the signature dish, the Vidalia Onion soup. It was delicious, creamy and very soothing on a cool evening. I ordered the Braised Lamb Shanks with Risotto Milanese and Lavender Jus for my entree. It was excellent! The meat was tender and falling off the bone and the risotto was perfectly al dente. I tried a few of my friends dishes like the Tuna Tartare and the Roast Chicken entree and they were also very well prepared. The check came out to around $380 for ten people with a generous tip inclusive. I'd definitely recommend trying this place if one were on LBI for dinner. It doesn't feel like a "beach restaurant", it feels like a quaint and sophsticated Urban BYOB.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol