• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Miami Suggestions

Rich Pawlak

I will be in Miami from 5/2-5/9, and need a few suggestions. I have already made plans to dine at Norman's, Chef Allan's and Mark's South Beach, along with must-visits to Versailles and Tap Tap. I am also looking for opinion on Norm Van Aken's new place, Mundo, as well as OLA, the new Doug Rodriguez place. Any others I should add to my list? I havent been to Miami in about 5 yrs, and I'd like a mix of luxe spots (already may have those) as well as less expensive (and less pretentious) places.

Is Lil' Red's still around in Ft. Lauderdale? That was one funky fun BBQ joint!

Also, any decent beer bars or brewpubs? I know the chjoices aren't great, but at least one beer place will do.

Thanks!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

there are some very interesting little places in North Miami Beach, up near Bal Harbor shoppes. The Buenos Aries Bakery is really fun and nice pastries. It helps to speak spanish, though.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I was just there and tried a new spot called Opa (greek) in South Beach. Although I can't say much about the food, cuz I was really drunk, it was a very fun place. Dancing on the tables is encouraged, so if you are feeling festive I would give it a shot.

I am a fan of Azul on Brickel Key too, it is pricey but about as elevated as cuisine gets in Miami.

Check out the "what will wow me in Miami" thread for some stone crab thoughts as I believe the season does not end until mid May.

Francesco

325 Alcazar Ave. (bet. Le Jeune Rd. & Salzedo St.)

Coral Gables (305) 446-1600

Outstanding Peruvian seafood in fashionable, though not touristy, Coral Gables. Moderately priced.

Garcia's Seafood Market and Restaurant

398 NW North River Dr. (NW 5th St. Bridge)

Miami (305) 375-0765

Super casual seafood and raw bar on the Miami River. Watch tugs pull ships along the peaceful river as you slurp down oysters by the dozen, and eat freshly caught yellow tail. This place feels more like Key West than Miami. Inexpensive.

P.S. Garcia's can be tricky to find. The first time we went there, someone from Garcia's came to get us from Tobacco Road (bar).

Francesco

325 Alcazar Ave. (bet. Le Jeune Rd. & Salzedo St.)

Coral Gables (305) 446-1600

Outstanding Peruvian seafood in fashionable, though not touristy, Coral Gables. Moderately priced.

Garcia's Seafood Market and Restaurant

398 NW North River Dr. (NW 5th St. Bridge)

Miami (305) 375-0765

Super casual seafood and raw bar on the Miami River. Watch tugs pull ships along the peaceful river as you slurp down oysters by the dozen, and eat freshly caught yellow tail. This place feels more like Key West than Miami. Inexpensive.

P.S. Garcia's can be tricky to find. The first time we went there, someone from Garcia's came to get us from Tobacco Road (bar).

Thanks Joe! JUST what I was looking for!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

I will be in Miami from 5/2-5/9, and need a few suggestions.  I have already  made plans to dine at Norman's, Chef Allan's and Mark's South Beach, along with must-visits to Versailles and Tap Tap.  I am also looking for opinion on Norm Van Aken's new place, Mundo, as well as OLA, the new Doug Rodriguez place.  Any others I should add to my list?  I havent been to Miami in about 5 yrs, and I'd like a mix of luxe spots (already may have those) as well as less expensive (and less pretentious) places.

Is Lil' Red's still around in Ft. Lauderdale?  That was one funky fun BBQ joint!

Also, any decent beer bars or brewpubs?  I know the chjoices aren't great, but at least one beer place will do.

Thanks!

I went to Mundo last month and wrote a bit about it in this thread. Robyn

And the front page of the Miami Herald's Food Section today reports that Norm Van Aken has fired the entire kitchen at Mundo...Poor timing on my part, or maybe Van aken will be in the kitchen next week.

That is strange. If I were going to fire anyone - I would have fired half the service staff - not the kitchen (I thought the food was really good). Still - you have to have one meal at Merrick Park - just because it's new and very attractive. So try Mundo or Pescado. You shouldn't have a problem with either on a week night without a reservation (so you might just drive there - check out the menus - and see which looks best to you).

I don't know how many choices you have to make. FWIW - I liked Casa Tua better than Azul (although it's a totally different type of cuisine). Robyn

Just a quick note--I'm trying to vacation from my laptop, too---but Joe, GARCIA'S SEAFOOD was a blast, sweet simple seafood, great conch fritters, blackened grouper, sweet cold shrimp and that amazing, classy amuse bouche of whitefish salad to put on your crackers, such a simple, laid back, sincere place, and the passing ships and tugs towing freighters was an extra nice bonus.

\

Also was able to find Lil' Red's barbecue, in Ft Lauderdale on Rte 84, and the 'cue was sensational, artfully smoked, with that red rim of smoke on the ribs and chicken, another sincere joint that I can never get enough of.

More on the dining experiences elsewhere---later. The weather's been perfect.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large