• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Best Bit

godito

Unpopped popcorn kernels, the end pieces from dry-rubbed roasts, and any scotch I have on the golf course out of my flask. That first hit, and the way it's subtly changed by the previous inhabitants of the flask...although I had to give it a good washing out after that disasterous experiment (Talisker, after it had held some Southern Comfort :hmmm: )

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."

the neck, wing tips and tuchas of a turkey or chicken

crispy skin skin skin

the first bite of a dip cone (the part with the curlicue)

the teeny tiny orange segments inside a navel orange

any crispy burnt bit of a casserole or anything roasted that sticks to the pan

the skin of a baked potato

the core of pineapple

the first bite of a cold crisp apple

the end of a sugar cone with drippy ice cream in it

pudding skin

fat on the edge of a steak or pork chop

bones!!!!!!!!

cereal midway through when half are crunchy and half are soggy

the fat leaves of an articoke

the tip of a strawberry

nearly popped popcorn kernels

bread crusts

the middle of a bialy

icing roses

first bite of a sausage when it snaps

very very first sip of an ice cold martini

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

My grandpa used to do this one, and I soon followed, only to learn later that it's very common in Argentina: A Croissant finished with a simple syrup glaze, with some butter and dunking it in my latte! I know it might sound wird, but it's sooooo good!

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

the neck, wing tips and tuchas of a turkey or chicken

crispy skin skin skin

the first bite of a dip cone (the part with the curlicue)

the teeny tiny orange segments inside a navel orange

any crispy burnt bit of a casserole or anything roasted that sticks to the pan

the skin of a baked potato

the core of pineapple

the first bite of a cold crisp apple

the end of a sugar cone with drippy ice cream in it

pudding skin

fat on the edge of a steak or pork chop

bones!!!!!!!!

cereal midway through when half are crunchy and half are soggy

the fat leaves of an articoke

the tip of a strawberry

nearly popped popcorn kernels

bread crusts

the middle of a bialy

icing roses

first bite of a sausage when it snaps

very very first sip of an ice cold martini

OH my GOD.

Will you marry me?

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

I had Dolsot Bi bim bap for the first time yesterday. As if regular Bi bim bap weren't addictive enough (I have a thing about runny egg yolks over vegetables)...the rice on the bottom tasted like popcorn! Absolute freakin' heaven......

Edited 'cause I can't remember no grammar

Edited by Behemoth (log)

OH my GOD.

Will you marry me?

My first egullet marriage proposal!!!!!!!

Sure thing will you take me away from all this and buy me shoes and always let me have the first bite of a dip cone?

Sure thing will you take me away from all this and buy me shoes and always let me have the first bite of a dip cone?

Aliwaks my dear, as I near 50 I finally get the woman/shoe thing. Yes, you may have all the shoes you wish AND the first bite of the dip cone.

BUT, you must share all of the other 'best bites'

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

The incredibly soft, buttery insides of a fresh croissant. Then after it's gone, eating the flaky ends of the croissant.

Ah, see, for me, the ends are where it's at. The middle is just for mopping up eggs.

Aliwaks my dear, as I near 50 I finally get the woman/shoe thing. Yes, you may have all the shoes you wish AND the first bite of the dip cone.

BUT, you must share all of the other 'best bites'

damn you had me at shoes but that whole sharing thing I don't get it...maybe why still single will have to marry someone who likes to share but doesn't mind if I dont.

My most favorite thing in the world is the gunk in the bottom of the roasting pan after doing a pork roast or a chicken. I steal some of the "gunk" while trying to conceal my stealth prior to deglazing the pan. One of these days, I am going to get a good baguette, roast a chicken, throw the chicken in the yard and just "deglaze" that pan into my mouth.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

My most favorite thing in the world is the gunk in the bottom of the roasting pan after doing a pork roast or a chicken. I steal some of the "gunk" while trying to conceal my stealth prior to deglazing the pan. One of these days, I am going to get a good baguette, roast a chicken, throw the chicken in the yard and just "deglaze" that pan into my mouth.

I don't even bother with stealth. A thick slice of fresh sourdough mops it up quite nicely :cool:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

aside from almost everything that has been posted before me (and made me so hungry!) i would like to add:

the crunchy burned end of a barbequed (texas style) brisket.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..

xo

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley

Lessee...

--On the "undercooked fetus of a cinnamon bun" tip: the undercooked pastry that hugs the filling of a samosa, usually found around the tips and folds. Egad. Also: undercooked parts of parathas, puris, etc. Chewy. Mmm.

--Licking the serving spoons from the pots of Mom's curry while she and I clean up the kitchen

--The little knobs of skin that hang off of the bones while I'm eating buffalo wings

--The very last, refreshing sip of tea from my teacup. Also: the last little bit of masala chai from the teapot. After an hour of sitting in all the spices, that tea becomes an elixir.

--Fried bits of salmon or eel skin during a Japanese meal

--OH. Man. One time, my mother fried fish in a non-stick pot, and the pieces of fish had stayed together, for the most part. There were a few knobs of fish eggs that had COMPLETELY soaked up all the spices, and had falled out of the fish while cooking. Those spiced (turmeric, chile powder, what have you) and fried egg packets... oh God. I haven't had it again, but oh Lord, I'll buy my mother a mama fish to have that again.

--Shrimp shells, after eating the rest of the body

--The stuff on my fingers after eating Doritos or cheddar popcorn

--The soft garlic cloves hidden in sauteed greens

--Chocolate chip cookie dough bits in ice cream

I'm sure there are more, but I'm now thinking about those fish eggs!

Now these are all people I would love to be friends with and have dinner with regularly - oh my!

I have enjoyed this thread more than any other in this entire place. Everyone here is so passionate. I can just imagine everyone sitting in front of the computer using interesting expletives as they type: "mmmmm" "ooooohhhh" "ahhhhh" "oh yesssssss" "mmmmm"

I love it!

Keep on, keepin' on!

Edited by dccd (log)