• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: bleudauvergne

Hmmm...

What's for supper, Lucy?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Lucy,

Thank you so much for sharing your week with us. To me, at any rate, your blog was about more than just food. It's been an incredible experience to read it.

Thank you.

Jen

Jen Jensen

We will all miss your blog!

Your description of Chez Pierre is just wonderful, its exactly the type of restaurant that my husband and I seek out. Your rendering of the proprietor is lovely. A long time ago, I had to go to Paris for business, and I was traveling alone. Which I enjoy, but I was eating a delicious lunch, and wishing my husband was there to enjoy it with me. Just then the proprietor came up to me, a kindly, white haired man, and he reached over and placed two fingers on the inside of my wrist, and asked me if everything was ok. It was the most intimate gesture, and at the same time conveyed a warmth and concern. I returned to that restaurant many times after that, now its renovated and a bit slick, but that simple gesture all brings warm memories.

And yes...what is for dinner tonight??? :smile:

Outstanding. Thank you B! You've succeeded in making me weep at sunrise before a busy day.

Soooo... apparently I am not the only one who wept when I read the following tender words?

(Quote - Bleudauvergne) When he agreed about me going last night, he thoughtfully said, “I hope you won’t be disappointed.” It was a quiet and solemn wish, coming from Loic. It was also a wish that things not change, that we remain enchanted with the things that enchanted us in the beginning, that we continue to see and appreciate, with fresh eyes, the wonder of our experience together on this earth, and for it to remain unspoiled. It struck me deeply and I sat down and took a breath, and mustered up the courage, and said I would see about that, then.

We should all be so blessed and with good fortune, in our own way... we all may be at some point in time. Perhaps some of us have been to this sort of a magical personal space and will even return to it someday when least expected.

Thank you Lucy.

I recommend Lucy send a pound of that Alpine Coffee from 4/17 (page 2) to the next bloguer along with Loic's exlicit directions for brewing! I have a feeling that stuff had something to do with 1) setting the tone, 2) sparking creativity, 3) staging appetite and, of course, getting her out of bed to perform the miracle that was this blog! In fact... Send some to all of us!!! :wub:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

And a full quarter of the WWW just wept bitterly.

Bonne fortune, Lucy. J'espere que nous pouvons faire un autre rendezvous un jour.

Paul

Edited by paul o' vendange (log)

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Thanks for a great week Lucy. I've enjoyed it immensely.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Bleu's blog was a lesson in living the simple life well. Bleu, you say you didn't know French when you moved there, yet your words have such a (to me anyways) french lilt and rhythm to them. I'm so impressed that you seem so happy and at home there. I loved reading your daily posts especially since I was at the same time reading "Paris to the Moon" about an American who moved to Paris with his wife and child. They too were integrating into the society, reporting on it as outsiders and ultimately making it their home. I'm sure your complete story of coming to Paris would make for wonderful reading too if you were to expand on your writing!

Bleudauvergne, that was simply.... amazing. I wonder if I'm the only one re-thinking my life's priorities as a result of this week?

On the downside, you've set the bar for foodblogging so high we're all scared to even attempt to follow! :biggrin:

Again, thank-you.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Bleudauvergne, that was simply.... amazing.  I wonder if I'm the only one re-thinking my life's priorities as a result of this week?

I doubt it.

On the downside, you've set the bar for foodblogging so high we're all scared to even attempt to follow! :biggrin:

Ah. Speak for yourself, my friend!

It is one hell of an act to follow, though - no question.

Thank you, Lucy... I think. :unsure:

Yes, definintely. Thank you for leading, and showing, the way. :wub:

Ah ha! Does this mean that you're next. :biggrin:

Bleudauvergne, that was simply.... amazing.  I wonder if I'm the only one re-thinking my life's priorities as a result of this week?

I doubt it.

Seems you are our new blogger? Excellent! You were my choice. :biggrin:

Seems you are our new blogger? Excellent! You were my choice.  :biggrin:

Really? Cool! Thank you. Yes, I am It, and It is I. The new blog has begun, at Foodblog: balmagowry; Back to the Future. You won't find anything very enthralling there yet, except for a certain bleudauvergne sitting back with her feet up and a bag of Cheetos in her lap, gloating and taking a well-earned rest from her labors. I have a few workish things to take care of for the next hour or so - first order of priority being to battle my cat for possession of my bowl of yogurt... and then, let the games begin! :wink:

Lucy,

Did the old man ever show up at the restaurant? Now I am worried about him. :sad:

Thank you for your words, for your pictures and for sharing part of your life with us.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I add my thanks to all the others. I have truly enjoyed your romantic prose and photographs, a venerable homage to food and dining well.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I have double checked the time of the PM in which StInGeR tagged me last week, and it was at exactly 17h00 my time. We have to line someone up for this? :shock:

But that's no fair. Stinger's timing was off because of travel.

These blogs have been going Sunday to Sunday.

We should have two more days.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!!!

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Bleu, if you're still reading:

I tried making the chocolate strawberries with the white chocolate dip. Everything was going fine until some of the filling started getting into the white chocolate. Soon enough, the white chocolate thickened up with the residual creme fraiche (in some cases, the dark chocolate filling completely dropped out of the strawberry, and I think a lot of the CF fell into the white chocolate). I ended up slapping the white chocolate on the rest of the strawberries with a rubber spatula, and the chocolate wasn't so white anymore, but that's okay.

Things I'll do differently next time:

1) Pipe the dark chocolate more tightly in the strawberry...perhaps I should have used bigger strawberries.

2) Chill those strawberries once I stuff them with the dark chocolate mixture. That way, when they hit the heated white chocolate, the filling won't melt so quickly.

3) I've never made choco-dipped strawberries before, so I wasn't sure if I should have made a ganache; I ended up just melting some white chocolate and went from there. If I had used a ganache, or at least a glaze, I have a feeling the chocolate wouldn't have seized up so quickly, and would have been a lot thinner for dipping. I don't know a lot about what or what not should go into chocolate--do you think I should have made a ganache/glaze?

Maybe I should put this in the baking thread. Anyway, I thought you should know about this before dipping those gems in white chocolate. :smile: