• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: bleudauvergne

My mother and I have made cranberry sauce with crystallized ginger, lemon zest, lemon juice, and orange puree (if I remember all the ingredients correctly), and it was good.

A sauce, like a condiment. Of course. Would you mind asking your mother for the exact proportions? It would be worthwhile to have them. :smile:

I emailed her. I don't know to what extent that was based on a recipe or made up, or even whether my mother would have an easy time finding the recipe if there was one, but it never hurts to ask. :biggrin:

Michael aka "Pan"

Good morning. The last posts do seem rather odd. Especially with that downright scary picture leading down to the cave and Carolyn's old witch books, and the slaughter of the wabbit and everything. Don't worry! It just looks a bit strange but really we are good people!

It's daylight again!

Pan, thank you for trying for the recipe from your mother.

A note to certain physicist in Copenhagen - no eGullet and I did not raid the cave last night, and all of the wine is in it's place.

The wine is my husbands job. I realized when I got down there that he knows much much more about wine than I do, I don't know what is where, and he knows where the flashlight is. So I will ask him about that when he gets home. I do have amazing stories about rattling around the Bordeaux with our friends Frankie and Alain in the back seat, and ringing doorbells of Chateaux, me pretending to be a big hot shot and they are my bodyguards and translators. They are really good actors. It was a RIOT I am telling you. I also took photo portraits of all of the vinyard dogs. OK I can also say what vinyards we've been to and what we chose at the wine fair, too. I could not tell you when would be the best time to drink these particular wines would be, etc. So there will be more about the cave but at a later time.

i5788.jpgCoffee tastes yucky, btw. :hmmm:

Edited by bleudauvergne (log)

I am only going to share a few photos with you, because I have less that 25 photos left in my image gullet!  :shock: 

Is there any way that the eGullet powers that be can get her some more photo space?

If not, I have some web space available - I'll be happy to store some images indefinitely.

I have seven minutes to be out the door -

THANK YOU ever so much to everyone who is offering me space. I got a message from Owen this morning and they are working on it. I still have a few photos left, and I am going to continue to use the space I've got because I now have the hang of how to quickly post a photo and still get things done I need to get done at the office.

Pan, thank you for trying for the recipe from your mother.

She can't recall how we made it, but if we can remember, I'll let you know. I'll try to remember to look for a recipe the next time I visit my parents.

Michael aka "Pan"

Breakfast was, as usual, a piece of fruit, a sweet nectarine.

This morning, I did all of the things Loic does. I unloaded the dishwasher, cleaned the cook top with the special paste, dealt with the things that were to be hand washed, and wiped down the counters. I fed the cat (canard), took out the trash, and made the coffee. I did not sweep the floor. Talk about appreciation for your spouse. Loic is going to get a big thank you when he gets home.

Due to these activites, I was slightly late getting out the door and I missed bus I normally take, and another one was just speeding off as I rounded the corner. I did not attempt to flag him down. Here in Lyon, the bus drivers are either exceptionally nice, or exceptionally mean. I gave the driver of my particular route a box of home made Christmas cookies this year, with a note about how I appreciate what he does. Since that time he has always stopped and picked me up along the road wherever I happened to be on the way to the bus stop, much to the chagrin of the passengers on the bus who ran to get to the stop. The miracles that can be accomplished with food. :smile:

This morning, however, my bus was already long gone. The one I was on, which incedentally was full of people coughing, got caught behind a garbage truck. This lasted nearly 40 minutes. You’d think they would drive around the block every 15 minutes or so to let traffic circulate. But no. By that time, the traffic had become entangled enough to prohibit a smooth passage through the next town. I arrived to work 40 minutes late, and I am normally 15 minutes early. No worries. The amazing thing about this country is that people do not expect miracles, and they do not unreasonably expect perfection. Being on time is fine, (except when you are going to someone’s house for dinner but that's another story), but being late is perfectly fine too.

Being late did not prevent me from stopping to look at something.

i5802.jpgIs this edible?

I agree with dlc...you have a good eye for composition and food styling (oh, the radishes!).  The tea bag in the tea cup photo ...

More pictures from Lucy!!!

It would be like a dream come true to become a food stylist. However in France I think you have to have chosen that profession at the age of 7, rigorously prepared for the national examination for 12 years, and then achieved one of the top three scores on the examination for that year. Therefore with my diplomas not specifically in photography and eclectic background, my CV is instantly eliminated by the clerk who works for the secretary of the assistant of the adjoint of the director of the Conseil d'Administration of the French Food Stylist Council.

But seriously though. Do you know of any openings? :rolleyes:

LUNCH THURSDAY:

Lunch was had with people who asked me to join them. We all got our golden tickets and descended to the cafeteria.

i5806.jpg

i5808.jpg

Crudites (bettrave et carotte)

Tendron de veau / demi-glace

Celeri branche braisee

Fromage blanc / creme

Pain

Eau

i5807.jpg

Cafe

Discussion at the table: Linguistic and cultural subtleties in a multinational environment.

This thread inspired me to go to Bistro du Coin in Washington DC last night for a tartiflette. Mmmmm... a pretty good steak tartare as well.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Here in Lyon, the bus drivers are either exceptionally nice, or exceptionally mean.

That sounds exactly the bus drivers in New Jersey :smile: I think it may be a universal phenomenon.

Thanks for the rabbit inspiration - there are a couple of ladies selling organic eggs at our local farmers market on Saturdays and they always have a few fresh killed rabbits for sale. Now I know what to do with it.

That cafeteria coffee looks really good. Is it as good as it looks and how is it made?

What would you like made, dear Lucy? Just ask...

I have a dollhouse. So if you could make me a set of 1/12th scale miniature chefs knives I would be so happy. Lets PM about what this is going to cost me.

Edited to say I just love that you are a metalsmith.

:biggrin:

Bleu, before you close out your blog week, may I mention that this is the most delicious, beautiful job I've read yet? It's not news that people eat superbly in France -- even weekday midday luncheons at the workplace -- and it's not news that eGulletarians dine with conscious care and love to share their meals. But the artistry you've offered us here simply raises the bar with this blog. Many, many compliments!

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

I was thinking of you last night when I had dinner. There was a rabbit special on the menu at The Dakota and it was really good. Rabbit marinated briefly in soy and ginger and served on top of a cool mix of wilted spinach, black eyed peas, and thinly sliced yellow and red bell peppers. It was delicious and the portion was rediculously large. That must have been one big bunny!

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Okay, here's my résumé for adoption:

Do you do custom jewelry?

My specialty is designing and producing one-of-a-kind pieces!

I'm actually considering a food-related line... I made a miniature sterling silver tagine for Paula Wolfert (when opened, one found seed pearls as couscous and larger, mishapen brown pearls that looked like bits of squab) and my original teacher, Cheryl Forberg has a brooch of a copper pot from which dangles a fish, a slotted spoon, and a fork on which is inscribed, "Allez Cuisine!"

I've also made a series of brooches from plaque du muselet, those tins found atop Champagne bottles.

Perhaps I should consider 14k gold carrots or sterling pea pods of something...

What would you like made, dear Lucy? Just ask...

You both sound like wonderful women with interests (obsessions?) that are right up my alley. I love this New York-based jewelry designer Michael Michaud and if you haven't seen his work, you should look him up! If you google him, you will find a number of galleries selling his work online (plus amazon!) but here is one link to get you started. His basic style is cast bronze/silver/gold (casts taken from natural items) with pearls or gems to represent fruit/flowers. I recently saw his new collection at a little shop in New Hope, PA and it is all little fruits & vegetables! I don't see it online anywhere yet, but it's quite amazing.

Ah, the cave! I was waiting with baited breath. (I guess that's where Carolyn will be staying?)

Yes, I know Michaud's line well (owning his Olive earrings and a now-discontinued Grape set consisting of necklace and earrings).

When I was really into mysticism, I had a pretty decent business of producing jewelry with that theme. Here's my website of that work: Carolyn's Jewelry)

I haven't updated that website in almost 5 years so the jewelry I have since made isn't on it (but give me a good excuse to work on the website, eh?)

I'll take the cellar!

When I saw the tartiflette pix I realized how famished I was, so I ran upstairs and whipped up a version using smoked virginia ham and grated basque fromage du pays. Delicious! We had a dish like this on a regular basis when I lived in Vaud, Suisse.

Bleu, you are most kind to let us all peek in on your semaine typique(sp?) and your pictures are luscious. I've been a member only a month and I am thrilled daily seeing what everyone has been up to, explore the Culinary Institute, sample such fabulous writing, and share experiences. Not only is my job in peril, but my wife is thinking about starting an eGullet Widow's thread... :unsure:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Brooks! They gave you a whole rabbit? That's - sickening! :raz::laugh::raz:

Addit: Or were you talking about last night's beast at my house? :unsure:

Nah, it was only a half (very cool presentation, wish I had a picture), but it was a bunch of lapin for one guy, even me. Those peas were delicious with the spinach mixed in. I will have to give that a try. They sauced it with a rabbit reduction of rabbit stock and red wine. Quite tasty.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Brooks!  They gave you a whole rabbit?  That's - sickening!  :raz:  :laugh:  :raz:

Addit:  Or were you talking about last night's beast at my house?  :unsure:

Nah, it was only a half (very cool presentation, wish I had a picture), but it was a bunch of lapin for one guy, even me. Those peas were delicious with the spinach mixed in. I will have to give that a try. They sauced it with a rabbit reduction of rabbit stock and red wine. Quite tasty.

Half a rabbit's at least as big as half a chicken. That's for sure.

Fantastic blog, particularly the photos. The cafeteria meals take me right back to my Normandy lycee (way too long ago).

I haven't managed to read everything yet (I skip ahead to the pictures), but your topinambour intolerance is likely not an allergy, but intolerance for inulin, a non-digestible (by humans, anyway) fructose polymer that's present in high quantities in topinambours. It's also in chicory, so you may have some difficult with chicory and/or endives, as well as with chicory coffee. Generally considered a good thing in food, but not everybody's gut likes it.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Fantastic blog, particularly the photos. The cafeteria meals take me right back to my Normandy lycee (way too long ago).

Wow - if I had thought it was anythiing like that at my Lycee, I'd have lobbied a whole lot harder for the school lunch. (OTOH, the lunches my mother packed for me are the stuff of legend, and may well have been a factor in kindling my lifeling fascinaiton with food. So I ain't complaining.)

I haven't managed to read everything yet (I skip ahead to the pictures), but your topinambour intolerance is likely not an allergy, but intolerance for inulin, a non-digestible (by humans, anyway) fructose polymer that's present in high quantities in topinambours. It's also in chicory, so you may have some difficult with chicory and/or endives, as well as with chicory coffee. Generally considered a good thing in food, but not everybody's gut likes it.

I'm so glad you explained that! I've been puzzling over it ever since the subject first came up, been meaning to look it up and haven't had a chance. Considering how long we've been growing and eating the things, I'm a little surprised that I've never encountered anyone who had this problem - but I'm glad to have it identified. I wonder (and something tells me you may know) what effect cooking has on this polymer. I have eaten JAs raw with no ill effects, but our usual mode of preparation is to pressure-cook them with a little chicken stock and a little onion, then to puree the result, freeze it, and use it as a base for soups both hot and chilled (cold, on a summer day, with a little yogurt swirled in and some chives snipped on top, it has few equals!). So by the time we eat it it has perhaps been broken down by cooking more than once, as well as by freezing and defrosting; also diluted with a good deal of stock.

I know a lot of people who are wheat-intolerant use a flour based on JAs to make pasta and such; I'm sure it's highly processed by then, and I suppose that even if those people have trouble tolerating inulin it is as nothing to what they experience when they eat wheat!

Inulin... inulin... something familiar about that - wish I could remember what. Maybe I should have googled it before posting this. But I'm too headlong for that.

EDIT: Of course I've googled it now, and reminded myself why I sort-of knew it - having to do with someone's kidney problems. Also learned that it is added artificially to a lot of foods, including, somewhat shockingly, Stonyfield Farm's yogurt(!). Here's kind of a nice piece on the subject, though like most of its ilk it doth protest too much, methinks, about the Jerusalem Artichoke not being an artichoke. Though by all accounts the stuff about its nomenclature is true, there is a reason the thing tastes a little like an artichoke, and that is... once you follow the wheel full circle it turns out that the two are related after all. (Sorry, I've spouted about this before, haven't I. And still haven't got round to offering proof. It'll come. It's in my archives somewhere.)

Anyway, I love this bit from the revised Gerard's Herbal:

Jerusalem artichokes...are dressed divers wayes, some boile them in water...others bake them in pies...others some other way as they are led by their skill in Cookerie. But in my judgment, which way soever they be drest and eaten they stir up and cause a filthie loathesome stinking winde within the body, thereby causing the belly to be much pained and tormented, and are a meat more fit for swine than men.

Apparently, however, it is possible to build up tolerance. Maybe that's how I got mine. Go figure.

Edited by balmagowry (log)