• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The NY Times Spends the Weekend In Philadelphia

Holly Moore

Today, Seth Kugel in the NY Times, Escape Section, 36 Hours, answered that age old food bulletin board question, "I'm spending the weekend in Philadelphia; where should I eat?" Actually, the feature is on how to spend the entire weekend, but dining is a big part of it, as it should be.

Kugel treats Philadelphia as provincial outlanders treat New York City, defining Philadelphia as Center City. His premise is that Center City Philadelphia is a great walking city - an understatement - we're a world class walking city. But in limiting dining choices in Philadelphia to Center City, he leaves out brunch at Carman's Country Kitchen, making his trip to Philadelphia a lost weekend.

Here is where he recommends that New Yorkers and other tourists should eat:

Friday dinner. A BYO. Kugel recommends Audrey Claire. A good choice, but a 2001 or 2002 choice. I like Audrey Claire. But we're talking visiting New Yorkers' expectations. Maybe even the Donald. They want the latest. And a lot has happened BYO-wise since Audrey Claire threw open her shutters last millenium.

Saturday Breakfast. Philadelphia's famous French Quarter. Yes, we have a French Quarter. I discovered that a couple of weeks ago, while at the corner of 18th and Walnut, waiting for a light to change. Happened to look up. Attached to the sign pole "The French Quarter."

Key to Philadelphia's famous French Quarter must be the Crepêrie Café, it being French and all that. This is a neat little café that I keep forgeting about. Have been there on a couple of occasions. Very good crêpes and a very friendly, nice staff. Good choice.

Lunch is Reading Terminal Market. Can't argue with that. But I'd probably want more than sassafras jelly, homemade ginger snaps and a butter slathered pretzel. :smile:

Dinner that evening - Pasión! - another fine choice. But seeing as second guessing is coming so easily to me, I'd point people to one of Starr's extravaganza's. There is no denying Starr's influence on the current dining scene. Buddakan is a good choice. Any of Starr's places is a better choice than:

Sunday Brunch - Jone's. Jone's tries way too hard to be an old fashioned diner/coffee shop. Tries way too hard, without getting it. Forced. Sunday brunch is when folk should be heading to Carman's Country Kitchen. A brisk and somewhat lengthy hike, perhaps by way of the Italian Market. Or, New York style, a short cab ride. And a truly unique Philadelphia experience.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Yeah, those columns always make me wonder where journalists get their suggestions--was this guy in town visiting uninformed friends who pointed him to destinations? These are by no means the 'it' places now, nor the best--particularly Pasion and Audrey Claire, both of which have slid a great deal in recent years. I hate to say it, but what about dinner at Salt? I'm with you on the brunch thing, Holly, Carman's is the best, and I think others would also say he should've gone to Sabrina's or Morning Glory. Brunch in Center City is about the scene, not the food, for the most part. And as for BYOs-as you said there are SCADS of other places getting more press than Audrey lately. So how did this guy come up with his list??

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Well, playing devil's advocate, it is tough to single out 3 or 4 places for a weekend in a city so chock full of great dining choices-- I'm sure the guy never even heard of Carman's. Hopefully, an informed tourist would use a more local source for opinions on restaurants.

As a footnote, Ken Kalfus did a 1- pager on "What's Doing in Philly" in February in the NYTimes. He mentions LaCroix, El Vez, Fork, WArmdaddy's, and Kibbitz in the City. Not bad choices, either. What's Doing in Philly Article

Actually, Carman has received a lot of press, possibly even in the Times I think--no reason he shouldn't be aware of it, tho maybe that's why he didn't revisit.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Recommending Jones for Sunday Brunch set me off more than his not mentioning Carman's. But it's not all that hard to learn of Carman's Country Kitchen. It's on most "Best of" lists. Jone's raves, on the other hand, are pretty much limited to Starr's publicist.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Recommending Jones for Sunday Brunch set me off more than his not mentioning Carman's.  But it's not all that hard to learn of Carman's Country Kitchen.  It's on most "Best of" lists.  Jone's raves, on the other hand, are pretty much limited to Starr's publicist.

:laugh:

The PR Department at Starr Restaurant Group is about to kick into overdrive. With Striped Bass mere weeks from re-opening and Continental West coming up over the horizon, there's a lot of "work" to be done.

What's next? Pod for the best "I've been sitting out on conveyor belt, wanna risk salmonella?" sushi?

:rolleyes:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The PR Department at Starr Restaurant Group is about to kick into overdrive.  With Striped Bass mere weeks from re-opening and Continental West coming up over the horizon, there's a lot of "work" to be done.

does anyone know where continental west is going to be?

The PR Department at Starr Restaurant Group is about to kick into overdrive.  With Striped Bass mere weeks from re-opening and Continental West coming up over the horizon, there's a lot of "work" to be done.

In that ugly building on the northwest corner of 18th & Chestnut, from what I've heard.

In that ugly building on the northwest corner of 18th & Chestnut, from what I've heard.

Correct, that former clothing store.

Actually I sorta liked that store look, because the layout was sort of interesting, with entrances on both sides into that little entryway. The brick made the whole look.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Holly:

I liked Jones, but more for the funky cocktails, cheap bar snacks (Deviled eggs or potato pancakes with my drink - sure!) and the "you've-stepped-into-the-Brady Bunchs'-living room" vibe than for the actual "experience" of the place. As far as mood settings at Starr restaurants goes, I'd place my vote for Tangerine. It's kind of like what I imagine having dinner in a Morroccan opium den would be like. And I like that in some perverse way. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol