• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Takeout Fried Chicken

SobaAddict70

What are your favorite sides?

I have no idea why but I love KFC's mashed potatoes and gravy. It's gotta be a comfort thing from when I was a kid. Maybe they remind me of the mashed potatoes I used to get at Sir George's Smorgesboard :wub: .

If I was served them in a real sit-down restuarant I'd probably fling them at the waitstaff. But when accompanied by the KFC chicken, I love the stuff. Go figure...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I'll vote for Popeye's. We get a fryer's dozen for 9.99 down here in GA. Add some corn on the cob, dirty rice, and a couple of packets of hot sauce, and I'm in fried chicken heaven!

Be polite with dragons, for thou art crunchy and goeth down well with ketchup....

"Don't Cook Tonight, Call Chicken Delight!"®TM©SM.

Anyone remember them? Late '60's in the NYC area. They would deliver to your door, just like the pizza joints.

The chicken really sucked though and they went belly-up a year or two after debut.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

Anyone remember them? Late '60's in the NYC area. They would deliver to your door, just like the pizza joints.

The chicken really sucked though and they went belly-up a year or two after debut.

PJ

Oh my gosh! We had those in CA too! I totally had forgotten about them, but my mom used to order it when she was too busy to cook or they were going out for dinner. It was truly dismal chicken (and everything else that came along with it)!

My favorite takeout chicken chain is Chick-Fil-A; I'm not big on fried chicken these days.

PJ

Our local Chicken Delight (from Denville NJ as I recall) also did ribs. But the highlight for me was the big plastic chicken squatting on the roof of the delivery vehicle.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I am so relieved that no one has said they like Pudgie's. Skinless, but not trimmed of internal fat, and armor-plated with disgusting batter. Can you say "dried out and greasy at the same time"?

In the late 1970s, used to eat at Roy Rogers, because it was close to where I had to pick up the van every day. not too bad.

In the late 1980s, use to eat at Bojangles, because it was a block from grad school (across the street from the World Trade Center). Kind of liked it, and loved the biscuits.

Now, occasionally eat from Popeye's. Salty, yes, but nicely spiced.

As for Church's -- the only thing I know about it is that the CEO was (might still be; not sure) named something like Helga Moddelmog.

And Chicken Delight surely must have lasted more than 2 years. I remember its jingle poisoning my entire childhood.

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

And Chicken Delight surely must have lasted more than 2 years. I remember its jingle poisoning my entire childhood.

Might of been wishful thinking on my part. Thirty-plus years later the jingle still infests my consciousness.

I remember the chicken on the roof of the the delivery vehicle. It wore a chef's hat (aka coffee filter). Of course, virtually all large plastic chickens sport one.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

I found this about "Kennedy Fried Chicken":

Afghani immigrants own almost all of these KFC knock-off franchises, many of which have bulletproof partitions and serve neighborhoods where this is a necessary precaution.

I wonder if the ownership shows through in any of the dishes?

"yes i'm all lit up again"

I eat KFC about once every ten years, about as often as I mysteriously get drawn into a Red Lobster.

After consuming KFC I always remark about what force compelled me to eat this disgusting chicken, and I still have not come up with a satisfactory answer.

However, when it comes to the best take-out chicken I have eaten, the award goes to Golden Skillet which in my area is a combo Golden Skillet and Stewarts. The chicken is unbelievably tender and tasty, sweet and peppery.