• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Glassware Question

marie-louise

I'm copying this from the Regan's Q & A, since I realized that I'd posted the question after was over! Anyway, I went to Crate & Barrel yesterday and bought 4 of the Tempo Double Old-Fashioned glasses I asked about below. While I still don't know if these are the ones that Mardee meant, they are indeed very nice glasses. They feel too light empty, but are perfect when filled; their lightness makes them feel more special in your hand. More importantly, the clerk told me that they have been discontinued!!! They have about 1000 left among all the Crate & Barrels, so if you are interested, don't delay. (I'm going back today to grab another dozen.)

My biggest tip to everyone--Crate & Barrel makes Double Old Fashioned glasses that are my hands-down favorites.  The glass is verrrry thin, the bottoms are almost as thin as the sides, they weigh almost nothing and yet they are remarkably sturdy.  And they cost only $2 or so apiece.  Don't go buy them all out or I'll be heartbroken.

My Question to Mardee:

Is the one you like called the Tempo? A search for "double old fashioned" on the Crate & Barrel website brings up 32 choices- but this sounds closest to what you are describing.

As long as I was there, I also picked up a set of Tom Collins glasses. Also $2 each.

Edited by marie-louise (log)

Are these glasses frosted? They look like it.

No. (I would have liked that.)

Crate & Barrel also has a whole assortment of painted Collins glasses at the moment. They'd be pretty cool for a summer party-especially since they have dishes & plastic trays to match.

Now what other glasses should I buy? I have some Martini glasses, but they are big and wide. I hefted one of the Riedel Martini glasses yesterday; they were pretty nice. Any opinions as to whether they are worth the money?

And JAZ, I'd love to know where you buy your tiny martini glassses you talked about in the Q&A.

Rats. I've been lloking for that kind of old fashioned glass, but frosted for a while now. A bar in Toronto uses them, and I fell in love with the glasses, but I can't find them anywhere.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Rats. I've been lloking for that kind of old fashioned glass, but frosted for a while now. A bar in Toronto uses them, and I fell in love with the glasses, but I can't find them anywhere.

Here they are. (Scroll down the page.) I've seen ones that are frosted all the way to the top, but only in bars, never in a store.