• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

the Kitsap/Bainbridge topic

Rather than hijack the Salumi thread (which, btw, is so worth the ferry ride!), here's a spot for those of us "on this side" to gather.

Who else is out there lurking? Abra and I are on Bainbrigde, sequim is in Port Orchard. . . Foodie-Girl, are you out this way?

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

Cool . . . we really SHOULD get ourselves together on this side! I was thinking, too, it'd be nice to get some more recent info up on the board about restaurants out our way, as there has been some turnover and as the summer is coming. (Should make it easier to lure some of the SEA and PDX folks out our way!)

So. . .where do you all like to eat when you're not up for a ferry ride?

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

I don't live on that side, but am curious if Bistro Pleasant Beach is still good? I went to the former location a number of years ago and loved it, but have never made it back.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

That's great Foodie-Girl is from Poulsbo.

I have to say that I'm partial to BI restaurants as the rest of the area on that side seem to be lacking....except maybe for Gig Harbor but I haven't eaten there much. On BI I've liked Moon Fish, Ruby's, some of the cafes downtown(can't remember names :shock: ), and Four Swallows. Haven't been there lately though and so maybe there are some new places. I know Moon Fish is no longer there. :sad:

Have also been to The Beach House in Purdy and had a very good meal there. It's a nice little place on the water.

When not on the island, I like Hakata in Silverdale, next to Seattle Lighting. They do a really credible job of Japanese food, in a strip mall environment. Oh, and Petal in Sequim has some good stuff.

On the island I love the San Carlos and Bainbridge Thai, and am slowly coming to like Nola. The Bistro Pleasant Beach is uneven - some things are quite good, other stuff is very average. Casa Rojas always surprises me with the authentic stuff they have on the menu (borrega, lengua, great tacos al pastor) in among the more usual fare, plus the people are so nice. There are also some really good dishes at Simon's, mixed with very regular stuff.

Edited by Abra (log)

Beach House in Purdy is very good...but such a schlep from here...it's actually more relaxing for us to take the ferry to Seattle. Local places I like.....Pleasant Beach Bistro, Four Swallows, Bainbridge Island Sushi , Benson's in Poulsbo. I enjoy cooking and would rather eat home most of the time...or else go to Seattle. I travel a lot and am fortunate enough to be able to eat at great restaurants when I'm in Las Vegas or New York...so, by comparison I haven't run across anything too fantastic here close to where I live. That said...it IS nice just to go out for a quick meal once in awhile without having to go to Seattle. Other places I might have missed? I've only lived here for 2 years.

by comparison I haven't run across anything too fantastic here close to where I live. 

Exactly. Since I'm in Seattle during the week I have access to lots of good food. So on the peninsula I do alot of cooking. Boy, I sure wish I lived closer to Central Market. :wub:

Thanks Abra, I was trying to think of which sushi place in Silverdale was supposed to be the good one.

Oh there is Port Townsend. There's good food up there if we include the Olympic Peninsula. :biggrin: I like the Salal Cafe for breakfasts they serve all day!

by comparison I haven't run across anything too fantastic here close to where I live. 

Exactly. Since I'm in Seattle during the week I have access to lots of good food. So on the peninsula I do alot of cooking. Boy, I sure wish I lived closer to Central Market. :wub:

Thanks Abra, I was trying to think of which sushi place in Silverdale was supposed to be the good one.

Oh there is Port Townsend. There's good food up there if we include the Olympic Peninsula. :biggrin: I like the Salal Cafe for breakfasts they serve all day!

I'm just 5-minutes from Central Market...I LOVE it!

I'm just 5-minutes from Central Market...I LOVE it!

:angry: Oooh I am so jealous of you. All we have nearby is that Freddie's which annoys me so much when they're out of stuff or don't carry things I want, like kumquats!

On island, we end up most often at Casa Rojas (hey, Abra, the tacos al pastor are my favorite!), Four Swallows, and Sawatdy. Haven't been to Ruby's in a while, but ate there a fair amount this past summer (outdoor seating overlooking the water) and it was very good. (The view didn't hurt! It's now in the space where MoonFish was.)

The new teriyaki joint that went in where the Russian place had been is really good--and cheep, cheep, cheep. They've been doing a land-office business since they opened. Other cheap eats favorite is Chili Cosmo's, which is supposed to be reopening soon in the space where Annie's was, in the village green.

Haven't been to the Winslow Way Cafe or to Nola since the changes in each place. Have never been to Bainbridge sushi, but have heard good things about Hakata in Silverdale.

Have found Pleasant Beach to be spotty--sometimes very good, other times not so much. Serivce wasn't especially friendly, either.

Anybody been to Via yet--the new Italian place in the Pavilion (the weird building where the big movie theater is)? Supposedly under the same management as Winslow Way Cafe now.

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

On island, we end up most often at Casa Rojas (hey, Abra, the tacos al pastor are my favorite!), Four Swallows, and Sawatdy. Haven't been to Ruby's in a while, but ate there a fair amount this past summer (outdoor seating overlooking the water) and it was very good. (The view didn't hurt! It's now in the space where MoonFish was.)

The new teriyaki joint that went in where the Russian place had been is really good--and cheep, cheep, cheep. They've been doing a land-office business since they opened. Other cheap eats favorite is Chili Cosmo's, which is supposed to be reopening soon in the space where Annie's was, in the village green.

Haven't been to the Winslow Way Cafe or to Nola since the changes in each place. Have never been to Bainbridge sushi, but have heard good things about Hakata in Silverdale.

Have found Pleasant Beach to be spotty--sometimes very good, other times not so much. Serivce wasn't especially friendly, either.

Anybody been to Via yet--the new Italian place in the Pavilion (the weird building where the big movie theater is)? Supposedly under the same management as Winslow Way Cafe now.

Now where is Casa Rojas? Is that mexican place on that side street off of Main still there - they had lots of mole dishes. It was a short walk from my apartment when I lived there and had good margueritas, also cozy decor for rainy nights. Boy, there are lots of new places in BI - they seem to go in and out of business very quickly. I haven't been to BI in over a year though.

Oddly enough, we have 3 Mexican restaurants on the island. Isla Bonita is on the main drag (Winslow Way), just as you come up from the ferry. Rumor has it that this is the island outpost of Azteca. 'Nuff said. San Carlos is on Madison (right-hand turn off Winslow Way) in a white house. (They, by the way, are offering a 20% discount until May or something to celebrate their 20th anniversary.) Casa Rojas is the newest--family-run authentic Mexican food--and it's inside the Pavilion building (where the movies and Simon's Chinese are) a bit farther up Madison.

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, yeah, this too: the BI Farmers' Market starts in April--every Saturday from 9:00 to 1:00 (though if you want produce, go early). Link here: http://www.bainbridgefarmersmarket.com/

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

San Carlos is really Southwest, as opposed to Mexican. I've been wary of Via because it's owned by the Winslow Way Cafe folks, and I think their food is terrible. And now, the Thai wars! The island divides into devotees of Bainbridge Thai, or Sawadty. I'm totally in the former camp, although I wouldn't be averse to a taste-off. I find Sawadty too sweet and too Chinese-y. Oh, and good burgers at the Blue Star, although they are so grumpy there that I have to steel myself to even walk in. I'm glad to hear the teriyaki place is good. I'm right there all the time, in the wine shop, but haven't gone in yet.

Sounds to me like we're working up to a dinner gathering! I think that's way cool, since I only joined this morning.

As a Seattleite, I'm reading this thread with interest, as I often go the the Olympic Peninsula, then straight home for dinner in Seattle. I'd love to find some good places to eat before I hit the ferry!

One place that I enjoy on Bainbridge is the Harbour House Pub. The food is good (above average pub, but not spectacular or anything), but I don't go there for the food. The house and deck are lovely...there's nothing like a late afternoon on the deck with a microbrew! :smile:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

And now, the Thai wars! The island divides into devotees of Bainbridge Thai, or Sawadty. I'm totally in the former camp, although I wouldn't be averse to a taste-off. I find Sawadty too sweet and too Chinese-y. Oh, and good burgers at the Blue Star, although they are so grumpy there that I have to steel myself to even walk in.

I haven't been to either of those, but then good Thai is so common in Seattle. However, there's Banh(sp) Thai in Silverdale that is pretty good.

The Pub recently annmounced that they're upgrading to sustainable/natural/organic/local food whenever possible, so that should make for some improvements. You're right, lala, the deck is wonderful.

The Pub recently annmounced that they're upgrading to sustainable/natural/organic/local food whenever possible, so that should make for some improvements.  You're right, lala, the deck is wonderful.

reeeeaaaaalllyyy....hhhhmmmmm.....I may just have to hop on a ferry soon.... :cool:

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

One place that I enjoy on Bainbridge is the Harbour House Pub.

Yup, on a sunny day, this place can't be beat! They also have some reserved space at the marina immediately below for boating folk.

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

*ssshhh*! Don't tell anyone, but the Harbor House is just as nice on a rainy day! With a fire in the fireplace, a good drink and a nosh, it's very cozy... all the little boats asleep under their tarps, gently bobbing in the water...Seattle across the Sound, in the mist...but don't go, or it'll get too crowded and I won't be able to get in!

I'd be up for an expedition to the west west side... I've heard that Xinh's Clam and Oyster House in Shelton is good, and I enjoyed the food the chef there prepared for the Slow food shellfish celebration.

Maybe we can do a wine tasting trip, or go for the spring barrel tasting here: http://www.wineryloop.com/events.html

*ssshhh*! Don't tell anyone, but the Harbor House is just as nice on a rainy day!

Yeah, the tourist influx will start soon. . . . the last thing we want is for them to know is that the off-season is livable too! :raz:

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

I'd be up for an expedition to the west west side... I've heard that Xinh's Clam and Oyster House in Shelton is good, and I enjoyed the food the chef there prepared for the Slow food shellfish celebration.

Maybe we can do a wine tasting trip, or go for the spring barrel tasting here: http://www.wineryloop.com/events.html

Cool idea, Laurel! Oysters and wine--how can that be a bad thing?

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

Glad you enjoyed that shellfish event. Hope you'll go and disuss it and more at the PNW section of the new Slow Food Forum

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com