• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO one excellent meal in London

Our trip to London is just a few weeks away and I still, after much research (the best of it done right here) am at a bit of a loss as to where our 10th anniversary celebration dinner should be. My highest priority is that be able to enjoy the evening with each other (and the FOOD of course).

Here is my potential list:

Tom Aikens

Bleeding Heart

The Square

Le Gavroche

Chez Bruce

La Trompette

Bibedum

1880, Bentley hotel

Foliage Restaurant at the Mandarin Hotel

The Landesborough Hotel

Which should I choose? And is there a way over the web to make the reservations? Thank you in advance for your help!

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

My first thought was: not Gordon Ramsay? Or the Capital?

I went to Le Gavroche just before Christmas for my birthday and loved it. It certainly scored well for faultless, unobtrusive but charming service. I'd never had classical French cuisine cooked at such a grand scale, to such high level before and was totally wowed (particularly by the Artichokes Lucullus, which I had based on their recommendation here).

(The decor is a bit opulent-80s though: sort of chintzy/tart's-boudoir. But then good London restaurants often seem to have surprisingly tasteless interior design. I remember Gordon Ramsay RHR having a bunch of gaudy glass ornaments that looked like they'd been bought from the Franklin Mint.)

Gordon Ramsay SHOULD have been on that list, oops. The Capital I had heard a few iffy things about, that it had declined in the past year or so and I removed it. Feel free to convince me otherwise.

Thanks for the response Stigand. :smile:

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

If Gordon Ramsay is back on the list, I'd say go there (ignore my jibes about the tacky glass sculptures - it's worth it for the food). I can't think of anything to say about Gordon Ramsay that hasn't already been said more eloquently on this board by someone else, but I think it's just great!

I wouldn't recommend 1880 for a celebration meal. A recent meal there was OK but (surprisingly) AA Gill summed it up very well when he talked of the excess on Sunday. I had a 'grazing' menu which incorporated Foie Gras, Lobster, Caviar, Fillet Steak etc. etc. etc. Nothing wrong with any of it but nothing spectacular enough to warrant a celebration meal. It just felt like they were wheeling out the luxury ingredients for the sake of it. They must of made a loss on our meal as well as I went trough a half price offer on Lastminute.com - 9 courses for £22.50!!!! Outstanding bread though.

Capital has such a terrible room that I wouldn't recommend it for celebrating. IMO it has way to much of a reliance on the Breakfast theme (as discussed elsewhere) throughout the meal.

Chez Bruce and La Trompette are far less formal than some of the other restaurants you mention, I use Chez Bruce as my benchmark for quality and price wherever I'm eating. Always excellent cooking and a nice atmosphere, I would happily go to celebrate there.

Lunch at Le Gavroche a couple of weeks ago was excellent but at the same time a little disappointing e.g. poor fondant potato and pommes puree, both underseasoned and the fondant just plain poor quality. As described above it is very opulent and the service is outstanding. It should always be considered as long as price is no object.

Gordon Ramsay RHR has 3 stars for a good reason :biggrin: If you want an evening reservation be very sure to be on the phone at 08:59 a month in advance and remember they are not open on Saturday or Sunday.

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Of the restaurants on your list that I have visited Tom Aikens, The Square,Le Gavroche, Chez Bruce, La Trompette, Bibendum, 1880, Bentley hotel and Gordon Ramsay, I would say that, if money is no object, Ramsay is the most appropriate for a 10th Anniversary meal.

Thank you all... now I just have my fingers crossed that I can get a reservation. We are there the week of April 6th, so less than a month away.

I should have done this sooner. I've name dropped e-gullet (this thread in particular) and tried to be very polite and flexible via e-mail in hopes of winning them over. :smile: Maybe it will work and I'll get a cancellation spot.

-Dad

Of the restaurants on your list that I have visited Tom Aikens, The Square,Le Gavroche, Chez Bruce, La Trompette, Bibendum, 1880, Bentley hotel and Gordon Ramsay, I would say that, if money is no object, Ramsay is the most appropriate for a 10th Anniversary meal.

andy - have you written a review of 1880? can't find it, if you have.

and, on the strength of recent meals there, i'd say tom aikens.

x

andy - have you written a review of 1880? can't find it, if you have.

No, but Moby and I are are going to write an article to be published on the UK forum about the 1880 grazing menu concept which includes an interview with Andrew Turner.

I had a stunning 7 course degustation at the square last friday night, well worth considering.

Scott... you're just trying to get in Andy's good books. And that's not just a euphemism. :biggrin:

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Scott... you're just trying to get in Andy's good books. And that's not just a euphemism. :biggrin:

Nonsense, the man obviously has impeccable taste!

As much as I love the Square, I wonder if its the right venue for a 10th Wedding Anniversary. The atmosphere is pretty lively and it can get quite noisey.

Whatever you think of the decor, Ramsay is a romantic space and I think the style of service is just right for the occassion.

I did get a beautifully polite e-mail response wondering if I wanted the Hospital Road Ramsay or the Claridge. I didn't realize I needed to specify. :blush: After looking at the web site I'm guessing we want the original on Hospital Road. Which would you suggest? We will be staying close to the Gloucester Road tube stop and will not have access to a car.

Thank you again for all your help. I know it will add a lot of enjoyment to our trip.

-Dad

Foliage - i'd say no - had a horrid meal there in december

it didn't help when i asked for foe-lee-age & they corrcted me - faw-ley-ajz the partonising bastards

bibendum - are you kiddin'? i wouldn't even go if it were free

Nonsense, the man obviously has impeccable taste!

As much as I love the Square, I wonder if its the right venue for a 10th Wedding Anniversary. The atmosphere is pretty lively and it can get quite noisey.

Whatever you think of the decor, Ramsay is a romantic space and I think the style of service is just right for the occassion.

Andy,

I was surprised at how intimate it was this time round, it will always have a corporate feel - the space is big, the shape is cold, and there are, well, too many suits.

However, it seemed that they appreciated 'real' punters, and the service was truly exceptional.

The oxtail soup is sitting atop my list of the finest things I have tasted this year.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

I did get a beautifully polite e-mail response wondering if I wanted the Hospital Road Ramsay or the Claridge. I didn't realize I needed to specify. :blush: After looking at the web site I'm guessing we want the original on Hospital Road. Which would you suggest? We will be staying close to the Gloucester Road tube stop and will not have access to a car.

Thank you again for all your help. I know it will add a lot of enjoyment to our trip.

It sounds as if they were trying to push you to claridges.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?