• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hudson Valley dining

JayPeeBee

I would appreciate reading some recommendations for restaurants in the Hudson Valley.  We have had many great meals at Café Tamayo in Saugerties NY and at Il Cena Cola near Newburgh.  There are some very pricy and not great places (Haarolds comes to mind).  Our starting off point is near the intersection of IS84 and the Taconic Parkway (Putnam County).

As a native Northern Californian, I don't know my geography too well...is the Woodstock area considered Hudson Valley??

If so, I would give the Bear Cafe a try.  I also have had great meals at the Emerson Inn, but I'm not sure if you have to actually stay there.

I'd be anxious to hear where you go...

JPB, is Harrald's still around? I don't think so. I used to stop at the Old Drover's Inn in Dover Plains (off Rt. 22) on the way back from the Berkshires, but that was 6-7 years ago. It's a pleasant place (Relais & Chateaux, for what's that worth these days) with the food typical American provincial; sweet, heavy, more emphasis on "look" that artistry. CIA-type stuff. Nonetheless, it may offer a lot relative to its neighbors. Can anyone provide fresher info.? In fact, is it still there?

I should really know Putnam County better, having grown up there, but then again that was back in the 1970's. :)

I can poll my relatives who still live in the area.  Maybe I can also get info about Dutchess County and/or the Danbury, CT area, as well as Putnam.

From your reaction against "pricey but not very good" places I'm assuming that you aren't necessarily looking for haute cuisine, but want stuff better than just neighborhood joints.

Of course, I'm half expecting the answer "we drive into the city" or maybe "Westchester".

(Edited by jhlurie at 1:33 pm on Jan. 10, 2002)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I live in the city Mon-Fri.  And we'd drive a ways for a great meal, haut or not.  Café Tamayo has better Confit de canard than any I've had in France (Gasp!) and the best pot roast I've ever had.  The mashed potatoes are on a par with Robuchon's (Gasp 2!). The rabbit is fantastic ...well I've not eaten anything there that didn't make we want to come back for more of the same.  So anything exciting and as good in a 50 mile radius of Putnam Valley is fair game (no pun intended).  

• 3 weeks later...

Concur with Cafe Tamayo. Other favorites: New World Home Cooking-between Saugerties & Woodstock-imaginative & spicy; Rhinebeck: 40 West, Cripple Creek, GiGi Trattoria (Gianni Sciappin-consultant to "Big Night", formerly of Cuoco Pazzo; Depuy Canal House-High Falls; a favorite-Terrapin-near W. Hurley; don't forget  CIA-especially the new  Caterina DeMedici room.

Mark A. Bauman

Mark -

thanks for the post.

How would you describe Terrapin and its menu?  You're the second person in two days to mention it as a pleasant place to dine when up near Kingston.

Thanks

Paul

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Check out www.terrapinrestaurant.com

I'd call the cuisine "eclectic"- many different influences without getting muddled in "fusion" or confusion is it? It's a pretty drive up there-seemingly in the middle of nowhere, but then there are all these enthusiastic diners enjoying themselves. A great destination restaurant.

Mark A. Bauman

• 6 years later...
Mark,  thanks for the cues.  We'll try some of these bye and bye.  We will have to tear ourselves away from Tamayo though.

If you drive up to Catskill, New York, I recently had a very good meal at Tatiana's, I met Angie, the hostess and owner and her husband, forgot his name, but he is the chef.

The service was so-so, but I have gotten used to less than rocking-great service, period. But the pasta and the veal were really well made, the setting is upscale for the area, but wow.. those martini's will knock you out, the bartender ( Angie in this case) must have put at least four shots in the drink...

Anyway, just putting my two cents out there.. would love to know if anyone has been there.

Etnea