• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which would you choose?

dannyboy

A group of 8 would like to go to Chinatown for a nice birthday dinner. We all love exotic flavors, hot-n-spicy is very much welcomed. Some atmosphere would be great, but not that important. Budget is fairly low; $13-18 per person not including drinks, byob would be great.

I've been pondering 3 places: Indonesia, Penang and Rangoon. I also had pondered Tai Lake or Lee How Fook, but opted to go with one of the less conventional cuisines. I've been to Rangoon and loved it minus the MSG hangover, but don't know how Indonesia or Penang stack up other than the one or 2 reviews here and at citysearch.com.

Slightly off this topic, but still appreciated: any decent pool halls in the surrounding area? We would love to play some pool afterwards. (note: not willing to pay $15 per person and wait 60 mins to get a table at Buffalo Billiards...)

Help me pick my birthday destination!

Thanks

Spoon!

A group of 8 would like to go to Chinatown for a nice birthday dinner. We all love exotic flavors, hot-n-spicy is very much welcomed. Some atmosphere would be great, but not that important. Budget is fairly low; $13-18 per person not including drinks, byob would be great.

I've been pondering 3 places: Indonesia, Penang and Rangoon. I also had pondered Tai Lake or Lee How Fook, but opted to go with one of the less conventional cuisines. I've been to Rangoon and loved it minus the MSG hangover, but don't know how Indonesia or Penang stack up other than the one or 2 reviews here and at citysearch.com.

Slightly off this topic, but still appreciated: any decent pool halls in the surrounding area? We would love to play some pool afterwards. (note: not willing to pay $15 per person and wait 60 mins to get a table at Buffalo Billiards...)

Help me pick my birthday destination!

Thanks

Penang is a good show. And the food is exotic and bursts with wild flavors. Try some Roti Tellur (stuffed crepes), Satays, Mee Siam (fine, spicy noodles) Beef or Chicken Randang, Mango Chicken, Spicy Fried Squid, and Kang Kung Bellakang. Spectacular dishes.

Of the restaurants you mentioned, Lee How Fook has the best food, especially their hot pot dishes, but little atmosphere. Depends on what you're shooting for, but Penang has the most lively vibe, and is very un-Chinatown in appearance.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I have to say that I've always been partial to VietNam. Great banquet diashes and if you tell teh waiter it's a special time he'll fiond someone tyhat will describe the specials. Can't go wrong there.

Of the restaurants you mentioned, Lee How Fook has the best food, especially their hot pot dishes, but little atmosphere. Depends on what you're shooting for, but Penang has the most lively vibe, and is very un-Chinatown in appearance.

Not to disparage it because of sour grapes or anything since my father was briefly an owner of LHF, but comments from friends of mine indicate that the food quality and tastiness have gone down.

This seems plausible to me because the former owner who was the primary chef is retired and is no longer in the kitchen, and we are still on relatively good terms with the family.

(In fact, I just saw the former owner-chef last week.)

And yes, Penang's success is due at least partly to the fact that they present an interesting decor to go with prices that are slightly above standard Chinatown prices.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I would pick Rangoon.

As for the pool halls. Philly strangely enough, is lacking in true-blue pool halls. Buffalo Billiards and Dave and Busters probably have the most. Tons of places have bar tables, I'm fond of the tables upstairs at Doc Watsons since they are in fairly good condition.

Of the restaurants you mentioned, Lee How Fook has the best food, especially their hot pot dishes, but little atmosphere.  Depends on what you're shooting for, but Penang has the most lively vibe, and is very un-Chinatown in appearance.

Not to disparage it because of sour grapes or anything since my father was briefly an owner of LHF, but comments from friends of mine indicate that the food quality and tastiness have gone down.

This seems plausible to me because the former owner who was the primary chef is retired and is no longer in the kitchen, and we are still on relatively good terms with the family.

(In fact, I just saw the former owner-chef last week.)

And yes, Penang's success is due at least partly to the fact that they present an interesting decor to go with prices that are slightly above standard Chinatown prices.

Mr. -Acidal,

I believe it was you who briefly posted about a recent visit to Indonesia. Can I trouble you to elaborate on your experience there?

Thanks

Spoon!

any decent pool halls in the surrounding area?

It's not a pool hall, but I used to shoot at the old W&J (5/Poplar). It's now the Ministry of Information, and although I've not been under that incarnation, it supposedly retains a bit of the former down-at-the-heels flair. MoI is also in the NoLib hood with its diverse drinking possibilities.