• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Sauce for Pork Loin/Tenderloin

robyn

There's a recipe for pork loin with apples, prunes and mustard cream sauce on page 124 of the 2/2004 issue of Gourmet magazine. Just wanted to let you know that I tried it - and the sauce is a total winner. I made it with marinated pork tenderloin - not pork loin (we're only 2 - we can't do justice to a 4 pound pork loin). If you'd like to know how I marinated the tenderloin and cooked it - I'd be glad to share that (it's not in a copyrighted magazine). You could probably eat this sauce out of the pot - without any meat (and I did - just tasting :smile: ) - it would still be terrific. Robyn

I got curious and actually found the recipe here.

I am thinking of other uses for that mustard sauce.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Pork loin!

Just sent message to husband. He's rounding up the troops so I can make this tomorrow. We were just talking about what we were going to do with the apples.

Would it be an abomination to stuff some apples and prunes (plus couple of dried figs because i've got some in the cabinet) in the roast, in addition to doing this sauce? Hm. :unsure: Robyn, do you think that would be too much?

I have olive oil but it's fresh and burns easily due to sediment. I'm wondering if duck fat will do instead for the browning.

Thanks for your feedback.

Pork loin! 

Just sent message to husband.  He's rounding up the troops so I can make this tomorrow.  We were just talking about what we were going to do with the apples. 

Would it be an abomination to stuff some apples and prunes (plus couple of dried figs because i've got some in the cabinet) in the roast, in addition to doing this sauce?  Hm. :unsure:  Robyn, do you think that would be too much?

I have olive oil but it's fresh and burns easily due to sediment.  I'm wondering if duck fat will do instead for the browning.

I think duck fat would be great! I always keep some around. That, a few olive oils, grapeseed oil, and canola oil. These constitute my "major" oils. Of course, I do use butter, and other nut oils, but these are my basics.

Edited by Gale (log)

Too bad that all the people who know

how to run the country are busy driving

taxicabs and cutting hair.

--George Burns

Pork loin! 

Just sent message to husband.  He's rounding up the troops so I can make this tomorrow.  We were just talking about what we were going to do with the apples. 

Would it be an abomination to stuff some apples and prunes (plus couple of dried figs because i've got some in the cabinet) in the roast, in addition to doing this sauce?  Hm. :unsure:  Robyn, do you think that would be too much?

I have olive oil but it's fresh and burns easily due to sediment.  I'm wondering if duck fat will do instead for the browning.

You're not talking to a professional chef here (far from it) - but the recipe states that "the apples and prunes are usually stuffed inside the pork roast, but here we've put them in the sauce". So I think you'd be on fairly solid ground. As for the figs - I'm not sure they'd add anything - but I don't think they'd hurt either. I too frequently try to get rid of small amounts of unused ingredients whenever and wherever I can :smile: .

I sear pork tenderloin before I put it in the oven. And I use olive oil. It does burn a little too fast. On the other hand - it winds up putting a nice crust on the tenderloin - and that's a "good thing". Also puts a nice crust on most of the area around my stove :sad: . You will have to excuse me. I'm upset about Martha S. tonight. Robyn

I got curious and actually found the recipe here.

I am thinking of other uses for that mustard sauce.

Duck was about the only thing I could think of. But pork in most shapes and forms is certainly its highest and best use. Since Harris Teeter here puts pork tenderloins on 2 for 1 sales all the time - I always have them in my freezer (except in the summer - when it's just too heavy). Robyn

I wanted to add another pork tenderloin recipe (although it's hardly a real recipe) that a friend made for me recently (I was working on other parts of the dinner).

She took a good sized pork tenderloin and placed it in a glass baking dish. She then filled the baking dish about halfway full with a combinating of molasses and sherry and rolled the tenderloin around in it.

I was a tad wary of my assumption that it would be too sweet when she took it out of the oven. However, it was perfection...and the remaining sauce was fabulous.

It was comfort food night; we served it with rosemary potatoes, lightly sauteed asparagus and good bread.

-Ophelie

Robyn, what did you serve it with, to soak up that lovely sauce?

The first night (I think we got 3 meals out of it) - I think I did just plain couscous - which is one of my favorite sauce soppers. Robyn