• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manni Olive Oil

Metroarea

Welcome to eGullet! Hope you'll hang around.

The Manni - is this the 150 dollars per 100 ml stuff?

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

If you want to spend hundreds of pounds, and still get more for your quid, go to the Fat Duck. I just had a dish, the salmon with liquorice and vanilla mayonnaise, and the waiter comes up and sprinkles some 'per mio figlio' on it, as he would for white truffles.

It was good. And I'd been waiting to try this oil for a couple of years, so believe me, I was paying attention. It gave an earthiness. That sense of grass, and soil, that you get off really young oils.

But 150 for 100ml? No, it wasn't that good. At least I got another 17 courses and six wines for my 150. :biggrin:

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Welcome - and congratulations on figuring out how to post a link in your first few posts! We KNOW you'll stick around now 'cuz you've already figured out how to use the system!

Great to have you hear!

And, no, I don't think it is worth the money. MobyP is right...

I've seen this but haven't tried it.

I see that Keller and Vongerichtenboth praise it.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I wonder what a bit drizzled alongside a balsamico trad on a piece of pecorino would be like?

Or on a poached egg?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

I like this stuff and it's tad less expensive

ravida

Experts have described Ravida's olive oil as tasting of freshly mown meadow hay. That's what the trade tasters in, San Francisco thought too - herbal and intensely grassy. The Olive Oil Companion says “Ravida's aftertaste is smooth and reminds one of sweet-sour sorrel leaves....

RAVIDA's acidity level is an astonishing .010 - one tenth of 1%.

Hmm. Veddy nice.

I would use this with the same care that I show towards real aceto balsamico tradizionale. It's worth it for those special occasions when you need a little "oomph".

That said, I'm just as happy with the usual EVOO I use for cooking and for salads.

Soba

Hmmmm... :hmmm:

You know... I can understand what might make one bottle of aceto balsamico tradizionale worth a hundred dollars where others are worth fifty because you can taste/experience a clear difference (more aged, thicker, etc.). But I am at a complete loss as to what could make one liter of evoo worth a hundred dollars where other amazingly good bottles cost fifty dollars or even thirty dollars. I mean, what could this guy be doing that is so different from what everyone else is doing, and does it make a difference? I have to wonder whether Per mio figlio evoo would be a clear winner against, say, Rocca della Macia evoo in a side-by-side tasting.

--

But I am at a complete loss as to what could make one liter of evoo worth a hundred dollars where other amazingly good bottles cost fifty dollars or even thirty dollars.

Maybe a liter of EVOO straight from the very first pressing? Can't get more artisanal than that, heheh.

Soba

See... the thing is that you can get a liter of top-grade kickass evoo straight from the first pressing (actually straight from the first pressing is bitter and nasty -- it has to wait a while) most anywhere in Tuscany or Sicily or Liguria for around 30 bucks.

--

But I am at a complete loss as to what could make one liter of evoo worth a hundred dollars where other amazingly good bottles cost fifty dollars or even thirty dollars. I mean, what could this guy be doing that is so different from what everyone else is doing, and does it make a difference? I have to wonder whether Per mio figlio evoo would be a clear winner against, say, Rocca della Macia evoo in a side-by-side tasting.

They laugh at your hundred bucks! A litre of this stuff would cost more like 1,500 bucks!

As for quality - Keller says it's worth it. Vongrichten too. You have to go seriously down market to find someone who doesn't ("MobyP says Blech!")!

Flickr Food

• 2 years later...

I have read the accolades re: Manni olive oil.

Hard to find and damned expensive.

Yesterday I came across Manni oil at the local

Whole Foods.

$39.95 for 250ml

It is labeled as "an exclusive Whole Foods limited blend"

I am always a bit suspicious when I see "exclusive" and "limited"

in the same sentence.

I know Manni oils labeled as "Per Me" or "per Mio Figlio" are the one's

people like Thomas Keller rave about.

So what's with this special bottling?

I am curious as to how it compares with the renown bottlings.

also

I noticed a shelf label at Balducci's indicating "Manni Oil" for the same price

--they did not have any in stock (or on the shelf) so I do not know if this too is/was

a special bottling for them.

Suddenly exclusive and limited are lookin even more suspicious.

anyway--I would be interested in any additional info anyone might contribute

to this.

I have never tasted any bottling of Manni oil so I have no point of reference

when I open my Whole Foods find.

Edited by JohnL (log)

Manni is sooo tasty. I'm guessing this is in NYC because I've never seen it in WF locations in Jersey and N. Carolina. I would be skeptical though, since it's probably not his one of THE two blends. Can you take a picture of the bottle or find it online?

I have sold olive oil to retailers for many years. "Exclusive & limited" could just mean that there was a small harvest, thus a small production and WF bought it all. It happens. Have no idea if this is the case in this instance, but not necessarily a reason for your antennae to go up.

It could be a blend created for WF, that suits their customers taste, or they had so much they had to unload it, or they are cashing in on the Keller connection. I have found it hard to believe that products are bought on a recommendation of our favorite figure, except for the Joe Foreman grill I bought. :rolleyes: Truth be told you won't know until you try it. Perhaps buy some with a few others looking to try it and set up a tasting of several oils for comparison.

"I drink to make other people interesting".