• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst restaurant meals in Seattle

My worst Seattle dining experience has to be Beppo's five or six years ago. We spent an hour and a half waiting outside drinking crappy house wine. Then, we sat down to a lovely (not) meal of a variety of pastas that all tasted pretty much the same - with way too much garlic (and I like garlic). I couldn't have a decent conversation the whole night because of the absolutely unbearable noise level. We left and proceeded to my car where I puked my guts out (presumably from the food).

I will never go back. I have pissed off friends by telling them to have a nice time, but no thanks. I really and truly do not understand all of the hype with this place. I think Olive Garden would be a treat compared to this place.

"Unleash the sheep!" mamster

They just opened a melting pot here in my burb. I didn't realize it was a chain and we tried to go there a few weeks ago for dinner as I do like fondue. In retrospect, thank goodness it was booked for the evening. We ended up having a nice meal at another place in town. We obviously saved ourselves a "craptacular" experience.

Sounds like a bad prom date. :blink:

My daughter LOVES the rainforest cafe. (She is 6, so I guess it is understandable). Unfortunately the food is mediocre and overpriced and we discovered my son HATES the place. Too weird and I get the heebie jeebies when I wonder how long it has been since they dusted all that "ambience".

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

• 1 month later...

I know this is a dead thread, but it contains some of the funniest posts I've read in ages. Had never heard of the Melting Pot until I saw it next to 10Mercer. In fact, I didn't think people still did fondue and I've been in the food biz for over twenty years. You guys are right...Beppo is absolutely horrible...perhaps the worst FOH ensemble in history, even without Jeff B. Todai Seafood Buffet? As my dear grandmother would say,"Well, we can scratch that one off the list".

"I'm not pro-life, I'm not pro-choice. I'm pro-football"

~Kinky Friedman

My worst experience was at Mona's in Greenlake. It was at a friend's birthday gathering and I ordered the clam's and had painstakenly removed the meat from each shell before eating them (ok I'm anal), then, ironically, had to go to the bathroom. When I returned my plate was gone. When the waiter finally returned about 20 minutes later, I asked what happened and he said he saw I was finished and took my plate, When I told him what happened he got real snotty and said he didn't believe me and charged me for the clams. I didn't want to make a big fuss at my friend's party so I paid the bill. But I did steal a few forks to make up the difference.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

But I did steal a few forks to make up the difference.

Heh heh heh. Nice payback. You should've grabbed a chair on the way out.

Has it been too long to write the owner a scathing letter? Or at least call them? I'm a big fan of calling and bitching after the fact. How else will restaurants learn? That waiter should be fired, or docked some serious pay... or flogged or something. Stealing someone's plate before they've finished, or even eaten!, is pretty tacky.. and then to not apologize? Geesh.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

I ordered the clam's and had painstakenly removed the meat from each shell before eating them (ok I'm anal), then, ironically, had to go to the bathroom. When I returned my plate was gone.

I would be P&%#ed if that happened to me but I had to laugh. My husband tells the story of his brother (also anal) who would remove all of his crab from the shells and leave it in a pile on his plate then go wash his hands before eating it. Of course all the siblings would have eaten the crab before he returned. The lesson? Never leave your seafood unattended :raz:

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

i know the olive garden is so obvious. but i had a sort of breakthrough there. for some reason, mid meal, i suddenly became fixated on the fact that all the chairs had casters on them. i pushed a little back and forth, the wheels rolled smoothly. energized by the absurdity of the place, i saw myself zooming wildly about the restaurant on my zippy chair, upsetting platters of goo and setting breadsticks aflight. i didn't drink enough "chianti" to really follow through, but i had a great time with my worst meal.

My worst Seattle dining experience has to be Beppo's five or six years ago.  We spent an hour and a half waiting outside drinking crappy house wine.  Then, we sat down to a lovely (not) meal of a variety of pastas that all tasted pretty much the same

This thread describes my Beppo's experience precisely! I went with relatives who think it is wonderful although I failed to see the appeal. Maybe they didn't eat in the dorms at college so it was a novel experience to stand in line to eat pasta primavera whose topping was obviously scooped directly out of an industrial-sized can of mixed vegetables plus parmesan cheese cut 30/70 with anti-clumping agents. They also love Melting Pot, by the way.....

In my humble opinion, Olive Garden<Beppos=Chuck E. Cheese