• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Substitute for Orange Flower Water

kthull

I haven't had the time nor the luck finding orange flower water locally and I need it for my wife's birthday dessert. I've seen the following substitutions:

- grated orange zest soaked in sweet white wine for 24 hours; strain and use liquid

- grated orange zest (plain)

- orange extract

I'm not too keen on the first option since nowhere could I find how much wine to use. Second option seems least likely. Third option is hopeful since I can get my hand on extract, but I'd guess I need to dilute it somewhat.

I've never tasted orange flower water first hand, so wouldn't have a way to know if any sub I tried was worthwhile.

If it helps, the recipe calls for 1.5 T of it to be incorporated into about 4 cups worth of filling (whipped cream + pastry cream + vanilla buttercream). 1.5 T of kirsch goes into that as well. It's Herme's Tropezienne dessert.

Of course I procrastinated (plus I've been very busy with my REAL job, leaving no time to play or surf for ingredients) and her birthday is this Saturday so I need to make the cream Friday night.

Thanks!

Kevin-

Where do u live? Maybe you were looking in the wrong stores for the stuff. It should be available in any middle eastern (Lebanese/Syrian) or Indian grocery store. A good brand to look for is CORTAS.

Like Carolyn and Aidan both said Orange Blossom water has a very distinctive taste/flavor that you cannot duplicate. However out of the three options you provided I would try the first one maybe 1/2 cup sweet wine to the zest of one orange. I would also heat the wine up a little to extract more of the orange oil. It would never be the same but it should taste good.

Good luck

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Thanks everyone. I'm in the far northwestern suburbs of Chicago. So close, yet so far away. If it were any other time of the year, I wouldn't be putting in 70 hour weeks at work and I'd have time to check out some of the stores downtown.

I know there's a Whole Foods not too far out of reach and hadn't yet called them. The last time I called looking for an ingredient proved a waste of time, so I don't have too much faith in calling again. And there's Trader Joe's, but even farther away.

<sigh>

i used to be able to get small bottles of it at Treasure Island - 3 oz. blue bottles - with a yellow label- produced in France - it was either in their Middle Eastern or French section- i know there is not a TI near you- but it may not be as obscure as you think- i'd try Whole Foods - even a regular gorcery store if they carry some midestern items- if you had more time, id suggest King Arthur's catalog, Sur la table, or Williams Sonoma

Any decent liquor store should have it. That's where I got mine

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

if you don't get a chance to find the orange flower water before tomorrow, i think a good sub would be:

orange zest

vanilla bean

simple syrup

simmer and allow to infuse

maybe dilute the solution with a little bit of sweet wine or water to taste