• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Rose's Second Restuarant

Daniel

I work in New Jersey and have been to the White Rose System in Highland Park several times. I am really a big fan and while speaking to some guy behind the counter at this greasy spoon in Elizabeth, he told me that they have opened a second restaurant in Edison. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this, like the name and address. Has anyone been to the new place if it even exists.

Thank you.

No, it's White Rose. There used to be any number of similar operations in NJ with similar names. I used to frequent the "White Diamonds" in Union on Stuyvesant Ave. near the Irvington line and another in Roselle on First Avenue.

I always regarded the burgers at these joints not such much as beef burgers but meat-flavored onion sandwiches. They'd basically lay some very thinly sliced onions on a grill, place a ball of ground beef on top, press the beef flat into the onions, cook, then flip, then cook some more. Every once in a while I duplicate this at home; all I'm missing are the same type of buns the Whites used.

White Rose

White Manna

White Diamond

I found what I thought was going to be a similar one in South Jersey, Roney's, on Rt. 130 and Haddon Ave. in Westmont. Close, but no cigar. My homemades are better.

Anyone know of any others? I've yet to find anything liked it in my adopted city of Philadelpia.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

for clarification, White Rose System is different from the other "whites". as daniel suggests above, they're not small and square. i found this out the hard way back in college, when i wanted to go to White Castle on the way back from New Brunswick, and my friend brought me there instead. i never forgave him.

can we assume the new Edison place is simply a "White Rose"?

Edited by tommy (log)

I would have bet someone a lot of money to say I'd NEVER think we'd be discussing White Rose System on this board!

I can somewhat recall late night "system runs" while in college at Rutgers back in the 80s--"somewhat" as system runs usually happened after drinking a lot of cheap beer at fraternity parties. It used to be mobbed late at night into the wee hours of the morning with college students who probably should not have been driving, eating lots of those burgers and then infamous system fries.

Years later, I don't know that my stomach could handle them!

Casey

White Rose System has the added suspense in that you only desire them when you are buzzed, and there are ALWAYS cops at the counter, so it was a victory to get in, order, and get out without blowing your...buzzedness. Especially when you are , like, um...16 years old.

I would have bet someone a lot of money to say I'd NEVER think we'd be discussing White Rose System on this board!

why not? we discuss everything. and i mean everything. :biggrin:

I can somewhat recall late night "system runs" while in college at Rutgers back in the 80s--"somewhat" as system runs usually happened after drinking a lot of cheap beer at fraternity parties. It used to be mobbed late at night into the wee hours of the morning with college students who probably should not have been driving, eating lots of those burgers and then infamous system fries.

that describes my experience perfectly.

for clarification, White Rose System is different from the other "whites". as daniel suggests above, they're not small and square. i found this out the hard way back in college, when i wanted to go to White Castle on the way back from New Brunswick, and my friend brought me there instead. i never forgave him.

can we assume the new Edison place is simply a "White Rose"?

I have to ask my counter guy again.. But, like i said, i have never tried to link any of the white's together.. I truly believe the white rose is in a class of its own. With that being said, i believe that the white rose opened a place in edison called the sunshine or sunrise diner.. I will check an edison phone book for anything like this and then report back to the board.

In the interest of clarity? Now i am more confused then before.. hehe. I am going to call these hyland park white rose bastards and get to the bottom of this. And ask them why they are trying to confuse us when all we wants its a big meat flavored onion sangwich.

Heh. You don't know us very well then!

Obviously the key to having a successful burger biz in NJ is using the word "White" in the name. :raz:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"