• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hidden Chinese Gem - CT

cheereeo70

Found the most incredible Chinese restaurant. It is a hole in the wall. We went to the Westport "branch." (Yes; it is kind of a chain, but the food is incredible.) Westport one is across from the Peppermill and is called Shanghai Gourmet. THey just opened another one in Orange, also called Shanghai Gourmet. Then, they have two Norwalk branches called Village Gourmet and Shanghai Cafe. My DH has also been to the Orange location, which is just as good. Don't expect fancy service here. Their restaurants are very tiny with limited seating. We went on a Saturday for lunch and got served on paper plates with plastic cutlery and plastic cups. Have heard from others that the place is jamming on the weekends! Best Scallion Pancakes I have ever eaten. Fresh, delicious mushrooms--YUMMY. I had Wok Glazed Shrimp and Chicken in Ginger Sauce that was too-die-for. Shrimp were huge; they gave you four. Steamed dumplings were also delish. Asians were eating there, which is always a good sign. They have a website with menus and pictures of their restaurants. www.asiancuisines.com

www.asiancuisines.com

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the Orange branch and was not impressed.

The scallion pancakes were heavy, doughy, and greasy. The shrimp and scallops Hunan style were okay, nice crisp vegetables and lots of them, but not spicy enough and not exceptional. The vegetable fried rice was pedestrian.

Maybe the Westport chef has the mojo.

Service was a step up from plastic plates and cutlery, though. Fairly nice decor (of the strip mall variey). Seats about 40 at comfortable 2- and 4-tops. No Asians in evidence, but the place was pretty much deserted when I went -- three other diners and few people stopping by for takeout.

I tried the Orange branch and was not impressed.

The scallion pancakes were heavy, doughy, and greasy. The shrimp and scallops Hunan style were okay, nice crisp vegetables and lots of them, but not spicy enough and not exceptional. The vegetable fried rice was pedestrian.

Maybe the Westport chef has the mojo.

Service was a step up from plastic plates and cutlery, though. Fairly nice decor (of the strip mall variey). Seats about 40 at comfortable 2- and 4-tops. No Asians in evidence, but the place was pretty much deserted when I went -- three other diners and few people stopping by for takeout.

Interesting Kelly. A Fairfield friend who frequents the Westport branch also told me that sometimes when her family goes the food is incredible and other times, it is mediocre. She, whose husband is Chinese and a good cook, also wonders if they have a good chef and a bad chef and depending on who is cooking. . . you can have a good or horrible experience. So hard to be consistent.

I have had scallion pancakes at the Ivy Noodle in New Haven and prefer Shanghai's, but see I like them thicker, so I guess it is a personal thing. Others probably like the crispy light style like The Ivy makes. Have you ever been there?

Glad you gave it a shot.

As fate would have it, I found myself in Westport last night visiting a friend who lives near Shanghai Gourmet. So off we went for take out.

Results (The three of us dining were all agreed on this assessment): Bland General Tso's, disappointing wok-glazed ginger chicken (shrimp omitted to suit my friend's Kosher-lite tastes), and okay mixed vegetables in brown sauce.

What gets highest marks at both locations (from me, at least) are the veggies. Obviously fresh and well-prepared.

Yes, I've tried the Ivy Noodle, but not the scallion pancakes. I'll put 'em on the list. Ditto, Panda House in Danbury (although how I'll pass up the Gouladh House is a mystery!)