• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

34 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

I heard they're good at making only one thing.....

Reservations 

(I know I know, that one is as old as the horrible taste of kasha)

I actually like orzo, and use it in my reverse engineered rice-a-roni when I don't feel like making a mess and breaking up vermicelli.

RE: Kasha. So pre-pandemic, I often shopped at the Russian supermarkets (e.g. Net Cost, et al.) out in Brighton Beach/Sheepshead Bay.  Aisles of buckwheat groats/buckwheat/kasha in those places.

And I brought a bunch of different homes to see if I might've misremembered as to how, ummmm, awful the stuff is.

I hadn't.

It might be a decent vehicle for about a quart of gravy, however.

weinoo

weinoo

30 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

I heard they're good at making only one thing.....

Reservations 

(I know I know, that one is as old as the horrible taste of kasha)

I actually like orzo, and use it in my reverse engineered rice-a-roni when I don't feel like messing a mess and breaking up vermicelli.

RE: Kasha. So pre-pandemic, I often shopped at the Russian supermarkets (e.g. Net Cost, et al.) out in Brighton Beach/Sheepshead Bay.  Aisles of buckwheat groats/buckwheat/kasha in those places.

And I brought a bunch of different homes to see if I might've misremembered as to how, ummmm, awful the stuff is.

I hadn't.

It might be a decent vehicle for about a quart of gravy, however.