• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Upper West Side Blues

Felonius

No, no clubs...someone has to organize a club and I'm too lazy to do it. :biggrin:

But a dinner at Métisse sounds wonderful. This weekend and next are very bad for me...but how about the FOLLOWING weekend? The last weekend in February?

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Just to add somethin' to the mix: up on 122th and Broadway--Harlem/Morningside Heights, I know, but for us students, I guess it can still be considered UWS--there's a block of semi-new restaurants that are pretty good for us poor undergrads. There's Seze Medi (I've only heard that they're pizzas are good, don't know about the pastas and entrees), Max Soha (of Max's Downtown--I don't know what MD's reputation is like, but I die for their lasagne), Kitchenette (a little overpriced, but nice for brunch), and Max Cafe, a great place for small plates, coffee, and cocktails. The block is being developed along with Columbia's new School of Social Work, so they're trying to bring all the graduate student-hipsters into their businesses. But, still--these places are pretty good, especially on the wallet.

After passing it for years on Amsterdam Avenue, had a chance last night to go to Cooke's Corner. What a pleasant surprise. Although tables are on top of each other, and service was a little slow(will cut them some slack on that because it is v-day). Great reasonable priced food. Romaine salad with a creamy blue cheese dressing, well executed breast of chicken and burger. Nice cheese plate of Chatham Sheparding camembert, roasted figs and walnuts. Although no full bar, a nice glass of rose to accompany. Those dning next to us seemed pleased with their veal chop and shell steak as well

Will definitely return.

Just to add somethin' to the mix: up on 122th and Broadway--Harlem/Morningside Heights, I know, but for us students, I guess it can still be considered UWS--there's a block of semi-new restaurants that are pretty good for us poor undergrads. There's Seze Medi (I've only heard that they're pizzas are good, don't know about the pastas and entrees), Max Soha (of Max's Downtown--I don't know what MD's reputation is like, but I die for their lasagne), Kitchenette (a little overpriced, but nice for brunch), and Max Cafe, a great place for small plates, coffee, and cocktails. The block is being developed along with Columbia's new School of Social Work, so they're trying to bring all the graduate student-hipsters into their businesses. But, still--these places are pretty good, especially on the wallet.

Oh yeah--I've been to Max's Soha a couple of times! I liked it, especially the big meatball.

Haven't been back, not because it wasn't tasty but because it's always packed full with a long wait.

Tell me more about the brunch at Kitchenette--that place has piqued my fancy.

K

What about all the little Mexican places in the early 100s on Amsterdam? I've been to a couple that I've liked a lot...The only one I remember the name of is Noche Mexicana, 852 Amsterdam, btw 101 and 102.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

We love Noche Mexicana. It's our go-to place in the nabe for Mexican. Cheap, good and only a few blocks away.

Another interesting place is Taqueria y Fonda la Mexicana on Amsterdam and 108th. They feature, among other things, tripe tacos, pig ear tacos, beef tongue tacos and beef brain tacos. JJ, when are we going?

--

We love Noche Mexicana.  It's our go-to place in the nabe for Mexican.  Cheap, good and only a few blocks away.

Another interesting place is Taqueria y Fonda la Mexicana on Amsterdam and 108th.  They feature, among other things, tripe tacos, pig ear tacos, beef tongue tacos and beef brain tacos.  JJ, when are we going?

We'll make a day of it: a morning of tacos de cesos, the to the E. Village for spleen sandwiches; for lunch, mixed grill at Pampa(?); and an all-offal dinner at a Batali place. For dessert, we'll have to creative. Baba au pig's blood?

But seriously, I'd love to go mid-March, when my temping ends. Is Noche Mex still tiny?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Several years ago, I used to like a Mexican place on 85 St. between Broadway and Amsterdam - Mi Tierra, was it?

i think u may mean la cocina at 217 w85th, 1 of several locations.

not bad, not great; but good bar. salsa very average, & food appears better than it is, which is to say, after several tequillas! supposedly, further up broadway is a very mexican enclave with a number of restaurants to sample.

have been to mama mexico on bway & 102nd. always very crowded & recently expanded & has a lot of mexicans mixed in with gringos. might be worth trying on your next sojourn

Edited by jgould (log)

We love Noche Mexicana.  It's our go-to place in the nabe for Mexican.  Cheap, good and only a few blocks away.

Another interesting place is Taqueria y Fonda la Mexicana on Amsterdam and 108th.  They feature, among other things, tripe tacos, pig ear tacos, beef tongue tacos and beef brain tacos.  JJ, when are we going?

We'll make a day of it: a morning of tacos de cesos, the to the E. Village for spleen sandwiches; for lunch, mixed grill at Pampa(?); and an all-offal dinner at a Batali place. For dessert, we'll have to creative. Baba au pig's blood?

But seriously, I'd love to go mid-March, when my temping ends. Is Noche Mex still tiny?

Whoa, Nellie!

Youse mind an interloper on this excursion?

Sounds like something worth coming up to NYC for.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

basically, bet w70th - to - w89th, the following are considered the "better" french restaurants:

cafe luxembourg - not technically french & food not highly thought of

nice matin - part of a nyc chain of french-themed restaurants

ouest - now the step-sister to 'cesca

aix - seems to be going further downhill based on comments

jean-luc - have not found anyone who actually goes on a regular basis.

as per comments here & on other sites, there are many critiques & criticisms, & unfortunately i have to agree. as per this thread, maybe UWS'ers are actually more sophisticated than given credit for by others? & that the popular french restaurants in other neighborhoods are just simply better; & therefore, the reason why the above restaurants are criticized is because they deserve it??

query? maybe if we got a french restaurant that actually hit that sweet spot, it would be a smashing success???

Edited by jgould (log)

Whoa, Nellie!

Dude, I'll even go if you show up. And I'll fix my hair, too, just for you.

K

Whoa, Nellie!

Absolutely, dude. Look for an announcement of Sam 'n' JJ's NYC Guts Tour coming sometime in mid-March. I am leaning towards "Gutapalooza," but there is some popular sentiment for calling it "The Offal Truth."

--

thx very much.  right around the corner from mama mexico's, 102nd & bwy

Yes, but it's cheaper and the food is infinitely better.

They don't have to rely on the mariachi-meets-Chuck E Cheese shtick Mama Mexico does either. It's a totally different kind of place. Groups of underage Columbia girls are rarely if ever found sucking down frozen margeritas at Noche Mexicana. That alone is enough to tip the balance away from Mama Mexico for me. Plus, if you want to pay those prices, it's not that far to Gabriela's on Amsterdam and 93rd.

To get away from Mexican for a while, and to further explore one of the UUWS's restaurant strengths (inexpensive ethnic), has anyone bougut from Krik Krak on 101 and Amsterdam? They're a mostly takeout Hatian place I've been curious to try.

And how about A on Columbus and 107th? That's a funky little "French-Caribbean" place we've always enjoyed.

--

thx very much.  right around the corner from mama mexico's, 102nd & bwy

Yes, but it's cheaper and the food is infinitely better.

They don't have to rely on the mariachi-meets-Chuck E Cheese shtick Mama Mexico does either. It's a totally different kind of place. Groups of underage Columbia girls are rarely if ever found sucking down frozen margeritas at Noche Mexicana. That alone is enough to tip the balance away from Mama Mexico for me. Plus, if you want to pay those prices, it's not that far to Gabriela's on Amsterdam and 93rd.

To get away from Mexican for a while, and to further explore one of the UUWS's restaurant strengths (inexpensive ethnic), has anyone bougut from Krik Krak on 101 and Amsterdam? They're a mostly takeout Hatian place I've been curious to try.

And how about A on Columbus and 107th? That's a funky little "French-Caribbean" place we've always enjoyed.

:biggrin: thx for the "tip". i was wondering about those columbia girls & the chuck-e-cheese shtick :biggrin: