• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great sandwiches in Seattle

I know this isn't a sandwich town. I've been to a couple of places recently that profess to have east-coast style sandwiches, and they sorta sucked. Where do you go for a perfect reuben? Croque monsieur? (I hesitate to even ask...) burger? Anywhere in the Puget Sound region would be helpful at this point.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

I will preface this by saying that I'm not particularly a sandwich connoisseur and I'm sure there will be those who disagree but here are my rpefered sammich places. The Deluxe makes pretty decent burgers, a tasty ground lamb sandwich and a portabello burger type sandwich with blue cheese that is quite good. Il Forno, the tiny pizza shop in the wedge on Olive just above I-5) makes (or at least made the last time I was there a couple of years ago) a simple tasty artichoke heart salad sandwich. On the other hand I have yet to see a deli sandwich that didn't dissappoint horribly no matter how low I set my standards. I finally tried Roxy's recently and oy, so weak. Granted, I used to spend a lot of time near Katz's before I moved here so the bar has been set pretty high for me as regards pastrami.

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

thank you for posting this, chuck! i've been jonesing for great deli sandwiches since i moved here from the east coast. i can't wait to see what people suggest.

i agree with placebo that the deluxe has good burgers (and some of their other sandwiches aren't bad either). it's definitely bar food and not the deli fix i've been craving, though.

you probably know about it already but red mill also makes terrific burgers, and i think their onion rings are to die for.

i'm a great fan of both the tuna melt and the club sandwich at o'shea's, the wallingford bar where i drink and play trivia on monday nights.

perennial favorite salumi of course has phenomenal sandwiches, but again not of the jewish deli variety.

i will follow any other suggestions avidly...

Palace Kitchen makes an excellent burger. Oregon country beef, medium-rare by default, and served with good extras including green tomato pickles. There's a thread where we compare it with the Oceanaire burger, which is also pretty good but they can't seem to keep themselves from overcooking it.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Maybe the best sandwiches that Seattle has ever seen dissapeared when the INS hauled off the owner of Bistro Antalya. That doner was out of control!

Porta, on Eastlake, does excellent roast pork and roast lamb sandwiches.

I had a good sandwich yesterday at Crave that was a riff on the traditional Croque Madame. This one was toasted brioche with fried egg, prosciutto, cheese and mustard. My dining companions had a ruben and a grilled cheese with smoked bacon respectively, which they pronounced excellen. I also like the Croque Monsieur at Cafe Campagne.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Probably off topic a little, as it is definetly NOT East Coast....But I gotta say, Paseo makes one damn fine tasty sammich. Mmmmmmmmm Pork...gotta go, Tron is playing at the Grand Illusion tonight!

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

I agree with "Fai Chi", about Paseo; Sandwich's but I always ask them to take it easy with the Mayo and prefer the "Midnight Special" as being more Cuban then the Cubed Pork Sandwich's plus the side of Black Beans and Rice is the best in town.

They also do pretty good across the street from Paseos at the recently opened "Persimmon" where everything is prepared with care. Their BLT was delicious, the soup even better.

My favorite traditional Sandwich is from Bakers Restaurant in Lake City where the make to order a authentic "Monte Christo" Sandwich with Fresh Roasted Turkey, Superior Sliced Ham and Cheese covered with powdered sugar and you choice of three kinds of Jam accompanied by a generous portion of fresh cooked to order French Fries. Milkshakes and Ice Cream Soda's made to order as well, all flavors served with a spoon.

Bakers Restaurant & Fountain has been in business since 1929 is located at 12534 Lake City Way NE in Seattle. Tel: 206-365-1888. It's a great place to bring kids since it's served good old fashioned food and real soda fountain treats. I also enjoy their "Fish and Chips".

Another one of a kind discovery is located at Route 99 in Everett called "Barney's Pastrami Dip" where the serve a full 1/2 pound loaded sliced Tasty Hot Pastrami on a Hoagie Roll for $6.45 that tastes pretty good. Only stumbled upon it Friday and will return next week.

Irwin :blink:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Lots about sandwiches in Seattle:

Persimmon thread

Bahn Mi thread

Salumi thread

and don't forget:

Light Italian style sandwiches at Gelatiamo.

Grilled cheese at Beechers.

Happy hour baby burgers at Cascadia.

Brasa bar menu lamb bugers, steak sandwiches, pulled pork too.

Falafel at Zaina.

Pecos Pit for bbq (or so I'm told.)

Pork sandwiches at Paseo (already mentioned.)

Croque Monsieur and lamb burgers at Cafe Campagne (ditto.)

Grilled halibut or salmon sandwich at Market Grill.

Catfish or oyster po'boy at Matt's in the Market.

Turkey sandwich at Bakeman's (maybe not great, but a tradition.)

Two Bells for burgers? (What's the point if you can't get fries!)

Deli type sandwiches at Buffalo Deli on 1st - north of the market - with 'tude.

And I keep hearing about one or two deli places in Ballard - Other Coast Cafe and ?

Atkins diet be damned.

Edited by tsquare (log)

I recently posted a similar message in seattle.eats asking for opinions on where to get a good Reuben sandwich. So far, my favorite is still the one I make at home.

Many people (myself included) spoke highly of the Reuben's at the McMenamin's taverns. A couple of people recommended the versions at the Hilltop and the 74th Street Alehouse.

And Irwin, where is this place on Highway 99 in Everett with the pastrami sandwich? I live in that neck of the woods and would be most interested to check it out.

Edited by MGLloyd (log)

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

I recently posted a similar message in seattle.eats asking for opinions on where to get a good Reuben sandwich. So far, my favorite is still the one I make at home.

Many people (myself included) spoke highly of the Reuben's at the McMenamin's taverns. A couple of people recommended the versions at the Hilltop and the 74th Street Alehouse.

And Irwin, where is this place on Highway 99 in Everett with the pastrami sandwich? I live in that neck of the woods and would be most interested to check it out.

Michael:

The place was located I'm pretty sure south of the Value Village [where we had stopped] on the west side of highway 99 in a small strip mall next door to a Hair Salon.

The name was "Barney's Pastrami Dip" they served the Hoagie Style Sandwich, plus a couple of Sausage Sandwiches. Don't know how long it's been in Business but should be available in Everett Telephone Book. The Pastrami was pretty good with a nice mixture of lean and fat, much better then the type of lean phoney Pastrami wannabees sold at local supermarkets.

If your able to locate and try the place please report about your impression. When I stumbled in it was late, but there was a order being put together for pick up and a couple of other customers waiting for their orders. Had run out of cards or menus and receipt had no name on it so you'll need to find the place.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Irwin ---

thank youThank YouTHANK YOUfor the info on Monte Cristo Sandwiches. I have not seen that on a menu in years. I will get there soon to have one. Once again, Irwin, you da' Man!

Thanks,

Fay Jai

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

Mmm.. yes, the Market Grill. I love their salmon sandwich and will try the halibut next time. Their cole slaw and spicy fish stew are really excellent as well (and they're damned swell folks too).

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

I recently posted a similar message in seattle.eats asking for opinions on where to get a good Reuben sandwich.  So far, my favorite is still the one I make at home.

Paul and I had lunch at Persimmon on Saturday. I didn't have it, but they have a Reuben on the menu there. Paul did have the pastami sandwich and it was mighty tasty. I had the caprese panini with proscuitto. Yum. I will definitely go back to this place.

Edited by LEdlund (log)

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Haven't found a decent reuben, but for east-coast-style grinders, DiLaurenti used to do a pretty good job and is cheap, cheap, cheap. (I haven't been there for a sandwich since they renovated, though.)

Also, Three Sisters (the bakery in the Market) makes some excellent sammiches. I'm a particular fan of the roast beef with horseradish. And the bread, which is often the downfall of an otherwise perfectly respectable sandwich, is great, natch.

And of course Bakeman's, for real roast turkey--from the sandwich Nazis! (If you are homesick for the east coast experience, this is your best bet. . . it has more than a little in common with Durgin Park.)

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

Another favorite sandwich place....

Philadelphia Fevre on Madison just east of 23rd does a great cheese-steak sandwich along with some other variations on the theme. The chicken "cordon-bleu" sandwich is another favorite of mine there.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

The Crumpet Shop in Pike Place Market offers chicken and turkey sandwiches on their homemade thick-cut bread that is generally warm when I get it. Incredibly delicious bread!

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

As mentioned, Three Sisters in the Market makes great sandwiches. Fresh, made to order, and HUGE. For regular apetites, one may satisfy two eaters. My favorite is the Meatloaf with special sauce. Just like Mom made for lunches.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

i love 3 girls in the market - the soups are wonderful too - and i can almost never leave - no matter how full i am without one of their delicious chocolate drop cookies.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

The Polish deli on Madison in First Hill (around 7th or 8th Ave). Polish pickles (just like grandma made)! And headcheese on rye!

But what I really wish I could find is a good chopped liver on hard roll.....haven't had one since I lived back in Chicago, sigh.

The place was located I'm pretty sure south of the Value Village [where we had stopped] on the west side of highway 99 in a small strip mall next door to a Hair Salon.

Irwin

Irwin, not to beat a dead horse, but there are two Value Village stores in Snohomish county: one in Lynnwood on Highway 99 and one in Everett on Evergreen Way (the old Highway 99). Both are on the west side of the highway and adjacent to other stores.

As a way of orientation, the one in Everett is not far from Pacific Kitchen, an excellent kitchenware supply store and is close to a Rite Aid. The one in Lynnwood is next to a Burger King.

I am guessing that you were up at the Everett store, and I should be looking on Evergreen Way?

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

WHAT?!  I just looked above and saw something about a Polish deli?  In Seattle?  This Chicago Polish girl needs to know much, much more!

Must be George's, the place that we talked about some on this thread. Certainly deserves mention here on the sandwich thread.

whoopsie...I meant Three Girls for my comment...mmmmm...meatloaf sandwich...skip the potato salad, though. Love the carrot cake.

Has anyone tried the baguette sandwiches from Le Panier in the Market? They look authentically French...Ham and Butter, Pate and cornichon...??? And how are the grilled sandwiches from the new cheese shop? I keep meaning to go...

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”