• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Onion Juice

cbarre02

onion juice: get ready to cry

the juice reduces well, do not boil, basically let evaporate on the stove on a low burner. skim and strain as the liquid reduces in order to gain a pure onion essence. used this onion syrup in conjunction with a chive puree and sauce soubise made with pickled cippolini onions to serve with seared toro

the uses for onion jus are endless, balance with several drops of vinegar and then use to enrich small braised dishes, to drizzle on risotto or even on top of savory ice cream. other vegetable juices reduce well and have a similar versatility from carrot to pear. the juicing and reducing are time consuming but with thesed bases around your kitchen gains extreme versatility

cheers

h. alexander talbot

chef and author

Levittown, PA

ideasinfood

I have made a quick BBQ sauce from Cook's Illustrated a few times - because you don't want chunky bits in the final sauce, they have you chop the onion in a processor, with a bit of water, and then strain the results. Works great for light onion flavor.

They use 1 medium onion and the following instruction:

Process onion and 1/4 cup water in workbowl of food processor fitted with steel blade until pureed and mixture resembles slush, about 30 seconds. Strain mixture through fine-mesh strainer into liquid measuring cup, pressing on solids with rubber spatula to obtain 1/2 cup juice. Discard solids in strainer.

Reducing onion juice to a syrupy consistency is something totally new to me and I have to try it. Could you give some details on the technique, please? And how would you get onion juice without a juicer? Could you just blend the hell out of an onion and then just strain it?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose